UKC

NEWS: Boardman Tasker Prize for Mountain Literature - The 2010 Shortlist

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 17 Sep 2010
Ian Smith reading the winners work from the Mountain Literature Festival/UKClimbing.com writing competition., 3 kbThe highly prestigious Boardman Tasker prize is an annual event in mountain literature.

The 2010 short-list has now been announced...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=57861

Michael Ryan 17 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Has anybody read any of the nominated books?

Or do people not read books anymore?

Nation Shudders At Large Block Of Uninterrupted Text

http://www.theonion.com/articles/nation-shudders-at-large-block-of-uninterr...

I've read two of them.
 Co1in H 17 Sep 2010
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I've read one of them and am purchasing the others.
Obviously people do read books today, but what they read can be suspect - celebrity type books.
Mountain literature is in a fairly good state, but as a collector there are far too many compilations around.
It is not easy to get hold ofthe pre 1960s books and consequently their prices rise. As for modern mountaineering books the web provides such low prices at the moment it is a good time to start a collection, but watch out for the fake Hilary, Hunt and Tenzing signatures that are about. One being purchased on Fleabay recently for around £300!
The Boardman Tasker event at Kendal is excellent and attracts the the great and good from the world of mountaineering. It is the one event at Kendal these days where a collector can get a few books signed without grief from the Kendal organisers.
It is a very friendly and laid back event and is always on my list.
Hope to see you there!
Colin H.
 MikeTS 20 Sep 2010
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

I haven't read them but intend to.
I don't think there is any other 'sport' that comes close to the quality of the body of mountaineering literature.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...