UKC

NEWS: MacLeod and Emmett's Great Climb On BBC iPlayer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 30 Aug 2010
Dave MacLeod and Tim Emmett, 4 kbDave MacLeod and Tim Emmett successfully climbed a new route on Sron Uladail, Harris on Saturday that was broadcast live on BBC Scotland and Sky channel 990.

Despite rain, wet rock and Dave's injured ankle, the pair successfully completed the very steep five pitch route now known as, The Usual Suspects E9 7a.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=57562

royal 30 Aug 2010
In reply to UKC News:
Awesome, looking forward to watching this when I get a chance.
 bouldery bits 30 Aug 2010
In reply to UKC News:

watching now. awesome climb, love the route!
 Red Rover 30 Aug 2010
In reply to bouldery bits: great program! quite gripping to watch
 stranter 30 Aug 2010
In reply to UKC News:
Wow brilliant! Kept me interested the whole way through!
 Red Rover 30 Aug 2010
In reply to UKC News: Does one of the camera men have a bunch of pegs?
 franksnb 30 Aug 2010
In reply to UKC News: riveting!
 subalpine 30 Aug 2010
In reply to Red Rover:
> (In reply to bouldery bits) quite gripping to watch

i found it very gripping to watch - looking forward to the helmet-cam shots..

Red Rover 30 Aug 2010
In reply to UKC News: where did the shots of dave falling off etc in the intro come from? would they have taken footage from a different climb?
 mal_meech 30 Aug 2010
In reply to Red Rover: The footage for the into etc came from the Triple 5 challenge which Tim and Dave did as the wet weather broadcast option, soon to be seen on the BBC / DVD.
 gavina 30 Aug 2010
Anyone notice Tim Emmett's belay technique exactly 9s into this film?
 Jonny2vests 31 Aug 2010
In reply to gavina:
> Anyone notice Tim Emmett's belay technique exactly 9s into this film?

Ey?

Jonny2vests 31 Aug 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Am I the only one who thought it was a bit, erm, long?
mike swann 31 Aug 2010
In reply to jonny2vests: A live broadcast of a 5 pitch E9. How long did you think it was going to take?
 Tobias at Home 31 Aug 2010
In reply to subalpine:
> (In reply to Red Rover)
> [...]
>
> i found it very gripping to watch - looking forward to the helmet-cam shots..

think they were actually microphones....
 grubes 31 Aug 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Now the big question where is this quarry near hebdon bridge? Do they mean Heptonstall? Its not exactly new.
 Jonny2vests 31 Aug 2010
In reply to mike swann:

I'd have preferred an edited version to be honest. Like when I climb with my girlfriend...

Its not like it was onsight and there was any real doubt.
 Stuart S 31 Aug 2010
In reply to jonny2vests:

> Its not like ... there was any real doubt.

Were we watching the same broadcast?!?
 space monkey 31 Aug 2010
In reply to jonny2vests:
> (In reply to mike swann)
>
> I'd have preferred an edited version to be honest. Like when I climb with my girlfriend...
>
> Its not like it was onsight and there was any real doubt.

I have to say I like the format. I liked seeing how they faff and took their time and had to psych up before a committing move. At one point on the 4th pitch I believe Dave said I can't reach it (the hold) with a bit of panic in his voice. Tim was beneath giving him some encouragement. In the end Dave made it look easy.

Most of the DVDs I watch the pro climbed climb with ease, they just seem to go up with out any thought. But watching Dave shake at one point made me feel that these guys get just as scared as us it just they deal with it better.

Anyone else think this?
 franksnb 31 Aug 2010
In reply to space monkey: agreed. the format felt intimate due to the lack of polish in the editing. there's some great advertising/publicity for scotland in there which is great too.
 Busby 31 Aug 2010
Anyone know what the viewing figures were for the show? Personally was very impressed with the programme, thought the camera work was exemplary, the cultural stuff was fairly well placed (which also helped the pace, and strategic toilet breaks) and Dave and Tim were great ambassadors for the sport.

Only gripes I had were the commentators insistence on prattling on when Dave and Tim were chatting, would much rather have heard the climbers talk than the commentators, would probably have been a bit more relevant. Also was a bit peeved when the HD bit kicked in just as Dave was starting pitch 4, and it seemed to miss out some of his start when it was doing it's recap for those just joining.

Still the best bit of television I think I've ever watched though.

Well done guys!

Iain
 stranter 31 Aug 2010
In reply to space monkey:
Exactly why I was so gripped! It was great to see them work through the tough bits, and encourage each other. You could see they both really enjoyed themselves!
 CM 31 Aug 2010
In reply to UKC News: Inspring stuff.

The commentators did go on a bit, it'd be great to see the crux sections without the overdub, but it takes nothing away from the tension as he shakes out at the end of the hard(est) moves and onto the hard moves above in pitch 2.

Offwidth 31 Aug 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Caught the back half live in our B&B in Dorner near Achiltibuie... bit pissed off we went for tea and cakes now and missed the first two pitches (we'd assumed it wouldn't get going given the wind and rain as it looked bad over Harris way and we were washed off Stone Cliff just after lunch). A brilliant show that seemed very accesible to the public and especially exciting to the climbing audience with a nail biting finale on wet rock. Thanks very much Dave and Tim and all the crew.
 amy 31 Aug 2010
In reply to UKC News:

I can't seem to get it on IPDL. Anyone else?
 Sam Edwards 31 Aug 2010
In reply to UKC News: Many of you may have allready watched it but as i was away when it was on and i have a rubbish Internet connection so i couldnt stream i have had to download using Iplayer. i currently have 15 minutes left (apparently) untill i can watch it. I feel this is a momentus occasion.
 dazwan 31 Aug 2010
In reply to UKC News: Was that a reference to Ron Fawcett's "lord of the flies" when Tim was shouting "come on fingers work!"?

Brilliant format, was worried it would just be 5 hours of the two guys climbing, but the background to the area was excellent. Would have been good to see some news about the rest of the climbing world and a look at other types of climbing (sport, competition, bouldering, etc.).

Just finished watching it, I'll need to get the DVD when it comes out to see the other climbs they did.
 match 31 Aug 2010
In reply:

Cracking stuff, really enjoyed it. The timing at the end was particularly impressive - luck/professionalism or more likely a combination writ large.

Thanks to Dave and Tim, and the riggers and crew, for the massive amount of hard work that went into that, totally worth it (especially the hours dangling on an ab rope searching for the line). I found myself rereading the Patey article on TV spectaculars in my head as I watched, which only added to the fun!
 Jonny2vests 31 Aug 2010
In reply to space monkey:
> (In reply to jonny2vests)
> [...]
>
>
> Most of the DVDs I watch the pro climbed climb with ease, they just seem to go up with out any thought. But watching Dave shake at one point made me feel that these guys get just as scared as us it just they deal with it better.

Yeah, I'm not after clean and squeaky, and I don't mind a bit of faff, I just think 10 minute shake outs aren't particularly gripping. I'll give it another go, I didn't make it all the way through first time.

simes303 01 Sep 2010
In reply to Busby:

> Still the best bit of television I think I've ever watched though.
>
> Well done guys!
>
> Iain

No Way! Are you serious?
 Quiddity 01 Sep 2010
In reply to jonny2vests:

I think it does what it says on the tin. It is a live broadcast of a hard adventure first ascent. There are plenty of DVD's which will do 'edited highlights' and this set out to do something a bit different. I put it on and sat down to do some work at the same time with the volume turned down while they were resting, faffing with ropes, talking about climbing shoes or lobsters, etc. and for me what was interesting was watching the route progress over the course of the day where there can be extended sections when not very much happens. A bit like many other sports, I suppose, like watching the Tour de France live, the interest happens over a longer time scale.

If you didn't stick with it you missed out, IMHO, the finish was totally harrowing edge-of-seat viewing that I think would struggle to convey
the same level of tension if you only had a highlights version. I thought it was fascinating to watch, including the more mundane bits that are a reality of multipitch cragging for most of us - faffing with ropes, deciding which ropes to clip, getting gripped, shaking out for ages, falling off and being hauled past hard bits, spending ages trying to get gear out - stuff you could really identify with. Just doing it at an astronomically high level.

I thought it was great stuff and hope with the commentaries they managed to make it accessible to a non climbing audience.
 Red Rover 01 Sep 2010
How on earth did Tim get up that last pitch? It looked a bit damp but he said it was like slimy rocks at low tide, the runout was quite big aswell must have been horrible.
 Helnorris 01 Sep 2010
In reply to Red Rover:

It is brilliant. Really enjoyed watching it and so did my OH. I dont have a clue how Tim managed to just hang there from one arm on the 3rd pitch whilst chalking up. Crazy times. Credit to them, amazing climbers.
James Jackson 01 Sep 2010
In reply to Red Rover:

Well, apparently it was 'easy' at E2, so who cares about a bit of wet...
 DKaye 01 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:

I can't quite seem to form an opinion on this... I have enjoyed it but have a couple of gripes.

First of all the commentators make me a bit uncomfortable, it almost seems perverse to have them commenting on every move, sometimes talking over the climbers. It seems to belittle the whole thing somewhat, almost being patronising? This is just my take on it, but I think an edited version may have been better, 'cause in a very backwards sense, I think it would make it seem more real!
 DKaye 01 Sep 2010
In reply to DKaye:

Just wanted to add, despite these, I did enjoy it and think it's good that climbing's being brought out of the shadows.
In reply to DKaye:

I watched the whole climb from half 1 to 7 o'clock and was irritated like others that the commentators just gibbered on over the conversations between Dave and Tim that were interesting and relevant to the climb. Found Cameron McPish much more irritating than the others with much of what he said pointless.

Seeing the rain in the long shots of crag was amazing, showed how much the overhang protected it from getting wet.
 tommyzero 01 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News: Oh I SO wanted to start another thread with this. Just watching it now...

I paraphrase at about 17 minutes....

So for those of you that are wandering, that yellow bag on the back of the climber contains chalk, magnesium carbonate, which gives the climbers more friction on the holds.

**Laughs**
 stewieatb 01 Sep 2010
In reply to tommyzero:

That's not exactly paraphrasing, is it? It's total misquoting.

As I remember, they actually explained that the chalk was to dry out the hands, thus giving increased friction by virtue of having dry hands.
James Jackson 01 Sep 2010
In reply to stewieatb:

Also, the commentary team are all knowledgeable, and I think did very well to explain things to what would have to be assumed to be a non-expert audience. I think the climbers on here complaining about that have to remember that.
 tommyzero 01 Sep 2010
In reply to stewieatb:

Nah you've just missed the joke.
 stewieatb 01 Sep 2010
In reply to tommyzero:

Speak on...
 franksnb 01 Sep 2010
scarpa must be loving 6 hours of shoe adverts
 Si dH 01 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:
Just watched it all (apart from fast forwarding over a few of the non-climbing interludes) after a mammoth 3.5gb downloading session that took 20 hours on my internet connection :oS

I thought the whole thing was really good. Obviously the climbing achievement was brilliant, and the route looked really good as well, especially the 3rd pitch. It also gave me more a sense of knowing what they were going through than most edited climbing videos do, what with Dave pulling and pushing at a cam when pumped and desperate to move on, Tim getting his footwork so badly wrong when he got to that jamming crack completely boxed. I can relate to all that so well, which is unusual when watching top climbers on a video.

I actually thought the video and commentary was mostly good as well, and there was obviously a huge amount of effort gone in. The only slight disappointment for me was pitch 4, when come of Dave's lead was missed out and they didnt build the tension anything like as well as the other pitches. This was largely because the commentators at the time assumed a test-match-special style of chatting over the action rather than commentating on it for a few minutes. I actually thought that Cameron bloke (who Ive never heard of but some of the Scots on here dont seem to like) was the best of the lot.

Now, let's have another one on BBC2 England
 Choss Weasel 01 Sep 2010
In reply to the crabbit man:
> (In reply to DKaye)
>
> Found Cameron McPish much more irritating than the others with much of what he said pointless.
>

I don't like Cameron McNeish either and I got some abuse earlier on this thread for saying so. One guys post was so sweary and abusive it got deleted!
 yer maw 01 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News: just finished watching it on the Sky plus and thought it was amazing. Genuine fear, banter, encouragement and the climbing was remarkable. Situations were really out there and hats off the filming, twas good how they interspersed it with local stuff. Great advert for the local area and the ethos and concept of climbing in general.
 220bpm 01 Sep 2010
In reply to Choss Weasel:
> (In reply to the crabbit man)
> [...]
>
>
> I don't like Cameron McNeish either and I got some abuse earlier on this thread for saying so. One guys post was so sweary and abusive it got deleted!

Big Cammy was better than I expected tbh. He let himself down with the "chalk gives you more grip" line tho. I mean, it was hardly sweaty tips weather and that wasn't what he was getting at...
 Loggy 02 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Liked it!!
 Michael Ryan 02 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Richard Else, Cameron McNeish, Dave McLeod (and possibly Tim Emmett) will be recounting the tale and showing lots of unseen footage at this year’s Kendal Mountain Festival (Sat 20th at 7pm).

Tickets now on sale at http://www.mountainfest.co.uk
 Fishmate 02 Sep 2010
In reply to DKaye:

Just in case anyone is interested, I downloaded an edited version in 720p which features just the climbing and little else. This runs for 2 hours.

Apologies if posting the link for the torrent file is a no no, however if you couldn't see it on BBC HD, a reasonable computer monitor will allow you to watch in 720p and it is worth it having seen the first 3 1/2 hours on the iPlayer.

viola: http://eztv.it/ep/22198/bbc-the-great-climb-2010-sron-uladail-x264-ac3-hdtv...

enjoy
 Fishmate 02 Sep 2010
In reply to Fishmate:

Forgot to say, very top TV btw. A great opportunity to see how the best deal with their experience in more ways than just the climbing itself.
thebigdon 02 Sep 2010
In reply to Fishmate:

i'd rather have heard more of the banter between dave and tim and less chat from the commentators, but it was a spectacular climb

well done to both of them
 Fishmate 02 Sep 2010
In reply to thebigdon: agreed, but I guess they have to appeal to and educate the layman. Maybe the DVD will be edited for the UKC massive. It could be a bit spicy Dave!
 James Oswald 05 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:
I just got back from a climbing trip to find that I missed the Iplayer download by one day.
Is there another way that I can watch it or do I have to buy the DVD?
James
Clauso 05 Sep 2010
In reply to Significant Portions of This Thread:

Have a word with yourselves lads. Quit the bickering.

It was great to see Dave and Tim at work. Great show by all involved.

Whaddya want? Second coming? Levitation?... <shucks>
 snoop6060 05 Sep 2010
In reply to James Oswald:

Yes, its on the torrents. eztv.it I believe have it.
 James Oswald 07 Sep 2010
Downloaded this from the Torrents but.... I downloaded it in HD and my computer won't display the picture. Has anyone any idea how I can view it? Is there some software which can be downloaded?
Ta
James
 Reidy 07 Sep 2010
In reply to James Oswald: I think you need a graphics card that can play HD, may be something else though
 Kid Spatula 07 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:

You need to download VLC, and have am okish graphics card.
 ronaldo45 07 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:
You only have 7 days to watch on BBCIplayer, and are unable to watch it after that. Brilliant climb excellent filming
 James Oswald 07 Sep 2010
In reply to ronaldo45:
Pretty rubbish really. One of the few brilliant televised climbing programmes and they can't even leave it on Iplayer. So much for paying ones license fee.
 Lemony 07 Sep 2010
In reply to James Oswald:
> (In reply to ronaldo45)
> So much for paying ones license fee.

So you'd rather not have the program at all then. That's good to know.
 trouserburp 07 Sep 2010
In reply to Lemony:

I think he's saying he'd rather have it online for a long time seeing as he paid for it, as per Channel 4 OD (which you don't pay for)
 James Oswald 07 Sep 2010
In reply to Lemony:
No I'd rather them keep it on Iplayer.
 owlart 07 Sep 2010
In reply to ronaldo45: I was caught out as I downloaded it on iPlayer to watch offline later. You normally have 30 days to watch it after downloading, and then once you start to watch it ties out after 7 days, but this timed out after 7 days even though I hadn't started to watch it

Waiting for the torrent to finish downloading, but even then I'm not sure my system is good enough to play HD
 James Oswald 07 Sep 2010
In reply to owlart:

Waiting for the torrent to finish downloading, but even then I'm not sure my system is good enough to play HD

I think that this has happened to me. I have sound but no picture.
James

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...