UKC

IMPORTANT RECALL: DMM Dragon 6 Cam...Please Read

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 23 Jul 2010
[DMM Dragon 6 fig 1, 3 kb]DMM International has identified a raw material problem that may affect the strength
of certain units of the Dragon Cam in size 6 (Product Code A7056A).

This recall only involves the Dragon Cam in size 6 and no other sizes of Dragon Cam
are involved.Please read the full recall notice.

DMM International would like to sincerely apologise for the inconvenience that this recall
will cause.

We take enormous pride in our products and make every effort to ensure
that all our products are of the highest quality. We will do our very best to work with the
climbing community to resolve this issue as quickly as possible.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=2905

Justin T 24 Jul 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

Top marks DMM - this is the most honest, timely and informative recall notice I've ever seen.
 JJL 24 Jul 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

Now *that* is how to handle a recall.

I will go and buy a Dragon next weekend (but maybe not a 6) as applause.
 another_mark 24 Jul 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

The link to dmm in that article doesnt work.

I'd guess you're missing the http:// from the link because its trying to go to a ukc page rather than the dmm one like this:

http:**www.ukclimbing.com/gear/www.dmmclimbing.com/dragonrecall.asp

rather than
http://www.dmmclimbing.com/dragonrecall.asp

Amusingly the site won't let me enter the same link as the article because it recognises that it doesnt exist!
 JSA 24 Jul 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

Good call by DMM, top marks!

Perhaps in instances such as this an emergency recall newsletter can be mailed to readers who may not log on to UKC regularly but do check their E-mail on a regular basis?
 funsized 24 Jul 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

I'm on the verge on buying my first set of cams. Been eyeing up the 2,3,4 set at Cotswolds with a lovely Uni Club discount. My initial reaction was to rethink the purchase. After reading your frank and honest recall notice you will definitely still have my custom. I suspect this must be a horrific ordeal to go through for a company of DMM's nature, however its obvious that you have been severely let down by external suppliers. Whilst you're still responsible for your quality of sourcing, this really does appear to be a 'shit happens' moment.
 Allan Young 24 Jul 2010
In reply to quadmyre: Seconded. This honesty, as well as the full and frank explanation, just reinforces why I buy DMM gear above other manufacturers.
 thin bob 24 Jul 2010
In reply to Allan Young:
> (In reply to quadmyre) Seconded. This honesty, as well as the full and frank explanation, just reinforces why I buy DMM gear above other manufacturers.

agreed. i'm sure every firm would recall things eventually, but refreshing to to see this in contrast with e.g.toyota
 AlasdairM 24 Jul 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

For the first time, an informative recall notice from a manufacturer as opposed to a cloak and dagger approach.

One thing - line two and three of serials are the same - is this an error in duplication or have some serials been omitted?
 woolsack 24 Jul 2010
In reply to thin bob:
> (In reply to Allan Young)
> [...]
>
> agreed. i'm sure every firm would recall things eventually, but refreshing to to see this in contrast with e.g.toyota

Aliens anyone
 Danzig 25 Jul 2010
In reply to thin bob: Toyota? WTF??? Please enlighten us...
 SCC 25 Jul 2010
In reply to Danzig:

Recently there was an issue with the braking system on a large number of Toyota cars - they didn't handle it very well...
 TobyA 25 Jul 2010
In reply to AlasdairM:

> For the first time, an informative recall notice from a manufacturer as opposed to a cloak and dagger approach.

Like which exactly?

DMM are a fine firm but what exactly have they done so differently here to any other climbing equipment recall (with the obvious exception of the CCH saga)?
 Luke90 26 Jul 2010
In reply to TobyA:

I presumed he was comparing with recalls outside of the climbing world.

Personally in my brief spell actually following the climbing media to any extent this is the first recall that I've come across (or at least noticed). Have there been very many others? I've heard whispers about the Aliens but nothing much about any other gear.
 CurlyStevo 26 Jul 2010
In reply to Luke90: Recalls are pretty common try google
 Michael Ryan 26 Jul 2010
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to Luke90) Recalls are pretty common try google

When I lived in the US and got the mags over there, it was very common to see recalls of climbing gear.

The most recent one I can think of....well there are a few.

Here is a list at the BMC website.

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/Pages.aspx?page=69

Nov 2009 Mammut Via Ferrata Sets, Advisory Notice

Jan 2009

Jetboil: Stove, Recall

April 2008

Camp: Tri-Cams, Advisory Notice

Sep 2007

Petzl Charlet: Sarken Crampon, Recall

May 2007

Troll: Ventura Harness, Advisory Notice
May 2007 Stubai: Tirol Crampons, Advisory Notice

June 2006

Petzl: William & Am'D Ball-lock, Recall

Jan 2006

CCH: Alien Cam Recall
Sep 2004 Wild Country: Helium Karabiner, Recall: Latest

April 2002

Troll: Flexifit Crampon, Recall

Mar 2002

nomisb 26 Jul 2010
In reply to Allan Young:

Ditto......
 TobyA 26 Jul 2010
In reply to Luke90: As Stevo and Mick have shown, lots. Obviously so much climbing gear is critical to safety, firms understand how important it is to sort out any issue quickly. If you look at how Chouinard equipment turned into Black Diamond you'll understand why!

DMM are really good at communicating with customers - particularly via here! - it's why they're such a great company, but in this particular case I don't think they are doing anything particularly different to how other firms have reacted to issues with their products in the past.
 mlmatt 26 Jul 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

having seen the crack first hand it's a pretty big slip up but well done DMM for such a good, informative recall.
In reply to UKC Gear: Does anyone else think threads like this should be made sticky?
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

It's a good point, and is the reason why we have a recall and advisory notice section on the BMC website; it acts as an archive for all the recalls we are alerted to, and means that people have a second chance to find out if they miss the original warning for whatever reason.

DMM have acted in their usual exemplary way - you couldn't ask for a more rapid and comprehensive recall notice.

It just goes to show that even the best manufacturers sometimes have problems, and underlines the importance of regularly checking your own climbing gear, both when you buy it and at regular intervals during its lifetime.
 SCC 26 Jul 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

It's also posted by the BMC on FB. Would it be possible for them to do an email alert to all their members?

Either way, top marks to DMM and the BMC. Now I just have to return my Dragon cam that has a crack in it. Damn.

Si
 rob1 26 Jul 2010
Ive been using my dragon 6 for a number of weeks on the grit now and would like to thank DMM for an informative recall.

If anything this only confirms their status of premier climbing manufacturer.

Out of interest does anyone know if DMM are intending on bringing out any larger cams than a 6 to match the likes of the WC friend 5 or camalot 6?
 Harald 26 Jul 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

Exemplary recall notice by DMM.

The UIAA has a recall database, but unfortunately it is not used as much as it should be: www.theuiaa.org/certified_equipment.php. It would be nice to see some active participation by manufacturers in this.
 JJL 26 Jul 2010
In reply to funsized:

> ... it's obvious that you have been severely let down by external suppliers. Whilst you're still responsible for your quality of sourcing, this really does appear to be a 'shit happens' moment.

Normally people quality test goods inbound, especially for critical components. DMM may well have done so - the issue is then how much variability is normal and whether the sampling/testing protocol (size/frequency) was suitable. If all of that was in place (rather than simply, say, relying on supplier QC certification, then, yes, a 'shit happens' moment); if not ...
 IanC 28 Jul 2010
In reply to JJL:

from the recall notice:

" The axle boss is machined from the defective 50mm aluminum bar and are then rumbled, heat treated and anodised. These bosses can contain serious grain irregularities and irregular grain boundaries, but visually seem perfect. Thus they pass pre-assembly inspection and go into preassembly stores. The axle bosses are tested by trying to pull them apart with the axle rods inserted – all bosses tested have made over 22kN."

Rest assured DMM does not solely rely on supplier QC certification.

There is a video on here somewhere showing DMM manufacturing process for more detail.
 SCC 02 Aug 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

Did anybody go through the route of trying to return their cam direct to DMM?

I went through the motions on the website, and am awaiting my postage paid envelope - nothing after a week though.

And bfore I get accused of being lazy, and told to take it back to the shop - that would be a round trip of about 600 miles....

Cheers

Si
Matt Ingle 19 Aug 2010
In reply to JJL:

I really doubt that even DMM would perform grain boundary inspection on 50mm aluminium bar stock.
You might expect someone in the nuclear or aerospace industry, that have anally paranoid QC/QA departments to do so.
For the majority of consumers, the Certificate of Conformity provided by the manufacturer is guarantee enough.
The whole point to a certificate of conformity is that the consumer does not have to repeat tests that the manufacturer should already be doing as part of their own QC/QA process.

Most testing done by a manufacturer is done on the components that they produce rather than the raw materials, and if the cracking is something that develops over time, then even 100% testing would probably have failed to spot it.

This appears to be something that has slipped through the manufacturers QC procedures for whatever reason, slipped through DMM's because they trusted the supplier, and been discovered after the product had been sold, at which point the fault was still undetectable by the usual QC procedures employed by DMM.
Even after something like this I still wouldn't expect DMM to do grain boundary analysis on goods inwards, but I would expect them to ask the manufacturer to do it, and provide the results, for a reasonable period of time following this incident.
 jshields 19 Aug 2010
In reply to SCC: Just sent my request in, I also bought out of area. I will keep you posted if I get a response.
Jon
In reply to UKC Gear:
Surely any shop that stocks them should honour the recall, even without a receipt.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...