NEW REVIEW: Black Diamond Xenos Harness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 09 Jul 2010
[The Xenos in full winter mode on Candelobre del Coyote in Cogne, Italy, 3 kb]If you want a harness that will take you up the Frendo Spur one weekend then allow you to happily send your sun-kissed sport project the next; offer comfort on the hanging belays of Gogarth's Main Cliff and also have enough space to rack 20 ice screws and a monster mixed rack, then Black Diamond's Xenos harness may just be the thing for you, says Kevin Avery.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=2661
 Sarah Stirling 09 Jul 2010
In reply to Mr Lopez: Thanks for pointing this out. I've added a box of text about it to the review.

Sarah
 Sargey 09 Jul 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

So it costs as much as two harnesses... i'm not convinced a bit of NASA tech nonsense is worth that.
 jameshiggins 09 Jul 2010
In reply to Sargey:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
>
> So it costs as much as two harnesses... i'm not convinced a bit of NASA tech nonsense is worth that.

I think you'll find it costs as much as 1.5 harnesses, or 1 x Arcteryx x350 which is probably the most comfortable harness I've come across. Will be interested to see how the BD compares...

lithos 09 Jul 2010
In reply to Sarah Stirling-Assistant Editor:

missed out a line from the data box

Weight : 460 g
 neil the weak 09 Jul 2010
In reply to lithos: So just like an Arcteryx 350, only slightly more expensive, bulkier and 25% heavier. Mega.
 Jody 24 Jul 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

I have had my Xenos for a while, and on the plus, it feels very unobtrusive and light, and the ice screw clipper system works well (no problems yet with the stitching).

Slight niggles; while the gear loops don't lose shape they are not huge (i.e. smaller than my old 4 loop petzl harness) and I found myself racking gear on the haul loop during a recent trip to Norway. Also, while the harness fits well around my waist, with webbing to spare, it does not slide easily over my hips, even at full extension.

Anyway apart from a few extreme situations that probably don’t suit most harnesses (e.g. racking a full 50-60 metres pitch worth of gear), I agree with the review that the harness is a very good all-rounder.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...