How Waterproof will my dry bag be?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Piers 06 Jul 2010
Im off cycling round Ireland for 10 days and some heavy rain is forecast for Friday!

I have my sleeping bag in an Exped dry bag strapped to the top of my pannier bags and I was just wondering if the dry bag will repel the rain completly.

Have any of you had trouble with a dry bag exposed to the full elements of mother nature?

Thanks

Piers
 iccy 06 Jul 2010
In reply to Piers:

As long as it's closed properly, no. I've used mine to carry stuff while swimming and sailing and it's stayed dry so no complaints!
 bsavage 06 Jul 2010
In reply to Piers: I am a big fan of the exped dry bags they are very good and will keep things dry in most conditions, but are not super hard wearing. With somethings as vital as ur sleeping bag you really want to keep it dry. The mantra I use to keep things dry is a bag in a bag in bag with vital items such as sleeping bag placed within the inner most bag. I know this seems overkill but its has worked for years.
In your situation I would see if u can get a light weight outer cover to protect the dry bag from physical damage or just use a another dry bag.
Hope this is of some help and have a great trip
Starkey92 06 Jul 2010
In reply to Piers: its ment to rain tomorrow too *sighs* downside to ireland!
 Wee Davie 06 Jul 2010
In reply to Piers:

As long as you're not actually underwater you should be fine. A heavy duty dry bag is a great thing.
 Phil1919 06 Jul 2010
In reply to Piers: Which part of Ireland are you going to?
OP Piers 06 Jul 2010
In reply to Eeeerm:

K thanks guys - I shall put the sleeping bag in a bag in a bag system. lol.

I am starting off in Wexford and then heading West along the coast till we get where we can in 5 days and then loop North slighty to return inland.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Piers
 terryturbojr 06 Jul 2010
In reply to Piers:

Another bag in a bag man here. Have happily swum places with a pair of exped dry bags, a large one with bits and bobs and a small one with camera and wallet inside, not that the first bag ever let any water in anyway.
 Andrew W 06 Jul 2010
In reply to Piers: It depends I have a 80L drybag which is defiantly not dry but on the other hand I also have several smaller bags which are very dry and have taken a good swimming without getting anything wet. I would look at the ortlieb ones as they are a nice tough vinyl time material and seem to work very well. Although they are more expensive they do work very well.

Andrew
In reply to Piers:

Had an interesting day in Scotland on Sunday - very wet with driving rain - the wind was strong enough to lift you off your feet at times. A colleague had his camera inside a ziplock plastic bag inside a "waterproof" bag inside his rucksack. My camera was inside an Exped dry bag inside a non-waterproof sack.

At the end of the day water was coming out of his camera's battery compartment! Mine was completely dry.

Apparently they are individually tested by filling with water to check for leaks.

ALC
 harry-shutler 06 Jul 2010
In reply to Piers: Ive always had good experience with them, only once had a problem, I was on a boat which sunk, I was in the water with the bag for about an hour before we were picked up. When I opened the bag up there was only a small amount of water in it. So you should be ok with a bit of rain, as long as you don't go swimming with it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...