PRODUCT NEWS: Passion One Sleeping Bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 02 Jul 2010
[Yeti, 3 kb]Passion One from Yeti is one of the world's lightest sleeping bags. Filled with the highest Crytsal Down this bag weighs in at a mere 265 g/

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=2768
 Tom_Harding 02 Jul 2010
In reply to UKC Gear: Whats the temp ratings, there missing from the news article?
In reply to Tom_Harding:

Comfort +15°C, Limit +12°C, Extreme -1°C

In reply to UKC Gear: Looks very interesting. What do you think about using it for a Summer mountain marathon event?
 TobyA 02 Jul 2010
In reply to UKC Gear: Does anyone else get the feeling that the model hadn't just spent the night kipping in the back of that truck in her sleeping bag?
 lithos 02 Jul 2010
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:

i think it'd do fine for a saunders MM but it looks expensive (300 euros) and nice but why put a zip in if you are trying to reduce weight to abs minimum ? save yourself prolly 30..50g by taking it out.

take a look at the phd bags Piqolo or minim ultra as a good comparison

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cat=26&products_id=30
http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cat=26&products_id=198

In reply to UKC Gear: Cannot seem to find Yeti on the Red Dot website winners page.

Anyone?
In reply to TobyA:
> Does anyone else get the feeling that the model hadn't just spent the night kipping in the back of that truck in her sleeping bag?

But isn't that the point of a lightweight sleeping bag? So you've got more room in the rucksack for essentials like make-up?
 steve456 02 Jul 2010
> What do you think about using it for a Summer mountain marathon event?

OMM introduced a minimum weight last year of 400g (total weight) for down bags (and 800g for synthetics). Not sure if they enforced it because they only announced the rules a couple of weeks before the event. The phd picalo and ultra are both sub 400g and technically banned for OMM, as were the whole range of funky ultralight bags that were advertised on the day. The rest have sensible rules instead.

Of course if you have the optional zip added to your ultra or a >400g utterly rubbish 'down' bag rated to a much higher temp, you pass kit check.

I'm hugely impressed they've managed to get a ripstop-shell and a zip (why??!) at that weight, ignoring the fact that they've managed to stick a bit of down in there too.
 MaxR 02 Jul 2010

hmmm for 280 quid, a really lightweight belay jacket would keep you as warm, weight less and take up less room, seems like a bit of a non product for that price! Also the Blizzard survival bag, 30 quid and keeps you warmer, weighs less and takes up less room.
 steve456 02 Jul 2010
In reply to MaxR: To put that into context a Patagonia nano puff with one of the sleeves cut off weighs the same as this sleeping-bag. A blizzard bag weighs about 100g more and sleeping in one is apparently not much fun.
 galpinos 02 Jul 2010
In reply to steve456:
> (In reply to MaxR) To put that into context a Patagonia nano puff with one of the sleeves cut off weighs the same as this sleeping-bag. A blizzard bag weighs about 100g more and sleeping in one is apparently not much fun.

Ha Ha. Maybe he meant the opposite of what he said? They seem pretty light but I'd still stick with PHD unless one of the models was thrown into the deal.

(The missus might complain mind)
 lithos 02 Jul 2010
In reply to steve456:

the piqolo is 395g so put it in its stuff sac or spit on it and it'll be 400g. the mimim ultra 345 so pack something weighing 55g in the bag with it and it'll pass but i hear what you are saying.

the rule i believe was to counter the silk liner debate - i recently asked martin stone (lamm organiser) if they'd consider unifying the kit list across omm/lamm/slmm/highliander/.....
but they are 'happy with their list'
 Simon Caldwell 02 Jul 2010
In reply to lithos:
This year's OMM kit list just says "sleeping bag". presumably they've learned the lesson from last year that you can't come up with a foolproof description - the weight limit didn't differentiate between light-weight + top-quality = warm and heavy weigth + poor-quality = cold.
In reply to TobyA:

i noticed this also.

nice flat trainers, pouting into the distance and nice brushed hair.

a rough night in the back of a flatbed truck? i think not.

but hey, who cares?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...