Etive Slabs rockfall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris_Mellor 14 Jun 2010
The BBC is reporting a rockfall at the Etive Slabs:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/10311542.stm
 OMR 14 Jun 2010
In reply to Chris_Mellor: Hate it when that happens. It's always a reminder that that bomber bit of gear, that belay, that brilliant jug... they're all temporary and they're all gonna come off some day. Just hopefully not when I'm attached/hanging on to them.
 Tyler 14 Jun 2010
In reply to Chris_Mellor:

That's a great report by the BBC, a mixture of vague details and then some very specific information about the Long Reach.
 hexcentric 14 Jun 2010
In reply to Mark Bull:

Crazy. Im hoping to get up in the next few days, See just whats damaged.
In reply to hexcentric: First post-rockfall ascent up for grabs
 Heike 14 Jun 2010
In reply to Tyler:
> (In reply to eroica64)
>
> That's a great report by the BBC, a mixture of vague details and then some very specific information about the Long Reach.

Don't know what your are complaining about, at the least it's accurate - very specific for a general news item, I would say. I am surprised it made the news, it's not exactly earthshattering to the majority of people in the world -

Headline "A few rocks fell down on a cliff - noone was hurt"

(although quite earthshattering to us climbers!!! I have very often sat on the coffiin stone!)

For most people it probably ranks amongst "Bicycle fell over in China" or "Sheep got stuck in the bog, rescued by passer-by".

petestack 14 Jun 2010
In reply to Heike:
> (although quite earthshattering to us climbers!!! I have very often sat on the coffiin stone!)

When I first climbed Spartan in May 1990, someone managed to trundle some hefty rocks from the descent path and we could only watch aghast as climbers spread out the breadth of the Slabs ducked/curled up as best as they could (we were out of the direct line of fire), with the picnickers finally scattering from the Coffin Stone as said rocks struck a direct hit and filled the air with a gunpowder-like smell...

Heike 14 Jun 2010
In reply to petestack:

Eeek! I guess there is a reason why there are these rockfall / lightening / danger symbols on the descent path in the new SMC guide!

Scary!
In reply to Chris_Mellor:

Hebe Carus - what a fantastic name. I do hope it's real and not the BBC's invention.

jcm
 sutty 15 Jun 2010
 Colin Moody 15 Jun 2010
In reply to sutty:
> (In reply to Heike)
>
> Wonder if it is some of this that has slid down?

Doesn't sound like it if it is the first pitch.

'Part of the structure below the Spartan Slab / The Long Reach 1st belay collapsed'
 JJL 15 Jun 2010
In reply to petestack:

I was there that day!!

It was blocks from near the top of Centurion and there were a couple of leaders on very long run-outs who could do nothing but duck and hope. Almost worse were a couple of seconds who were tied off at the bottom and couldn't run away. We hid under the coffin stone but my mate Mike calmly watched them fall and stepped to one side!

How funny to be reminded all these years later by someone else that was there.

petestack 15 Jun 2010
In reply to JJL:
> (In reply to petestack)
>
> I was there that day!!

Small world! What route?

> It was blocks from near the top of Centurion

?

> and there were a couple of leaders on very long run-outs who could do nothing but duck and hope.

Exactly my memory of it...

> Almost worse were a couple of seconds who were tied off at the bottom and couldn't run away. We hid under the coffin stone but my mate Mike calmly watched them fall and stepped to one side!

Sounds like you hadn't actually started your route at the time?

> How funny to be reminded all these years later by someone else that was there.

Great to get this retrospective corroboration too. Have often wondered if it was really quite as I remembered it, but sounds like it was!
 rallymania 15 Jun 2010
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
yep

she's real!
 Numptynut 15 Jun 2010
In reply to Chris_Mellor:The rock was a large block and I reckon it weighed 6-8 tonnes. It came out of the first overlap on the slab and fell directly down the first pitch of Long Reach to disintegrate on the block of the coffin stone. We had climbed Spartan Slabs and were on the last pitch when we heard a strange noise causing 'head retracting' I thought that the block had come all the way down the Crag. There was a granite powder cloud!
The block had formed the left part (looking up) of the first belay ledge on Spartan Slabs and must have been used to step across to that belay.
Very scary considering what could have happened on a busy Summer Saturday!
 Numptynut 15 Jun 2010
In reply to Chris_Mellor: Sorry I'm not used to 'forums' type of chat. We were on the Climb when the block fell and reported it to MCofS as a point of warning. I suppose considering the cold 'freeze thaw' winter there will be more of this type of news. After all the Crags we climb on are what's left after this ongoing process!!!
 ill_bill 15 Jun 2010
In reply to Numptynut: We climbed Spartan Slab on Monday 7th June. Peter, who led the hard pitches (thanks Peter) commented on how much more grass and heather was on the route compared to when he did it over 20 years ago. I guess the hard winter and all the vegetation has caused bits of the crag to become loose.
It is a reminder to us all that the danger of rockfall is never far away. After the route we relaxed on the coffin stone in the sun enjoying that 'after climb' feeling. Scary to think that a few days later it would in the firing line.
 sutty 15 Jun 2010
In reply to Numptynut:

Can you see the bit that fell on any of these pictures and say which?
http://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/search.html?text=spartan+slab&x=8&...
 Numptynut 15 Jun 2010
In reply to sutty: Yes I think so. In the Photo 'Chris on 1st Pitch of Spartan Slabs' I think its the block and heather just to the right of his right foot.
 Rog Wilko 15 Jun 2010
 Michael Gordon 15 Jun 2010
 JJL 15 Jun 2010
In reply to petestack:

I meant swastika .... god knows what my brain was doing to move it to the Ben. We did Spartan and were just gearing for Hammer.
In reply to JJL:

I did wonder whether there was a new route called Centurion on the slabs - as I've never heard of one there.
 Numptynut 15 Jun 2010
In reply to Michael Gordon:
> (In reply to sutty)
> [...]
>
> If that thing came down it would be somewhat bigger news!

No it definitely wasn't that bit!! I've still got the scratches & bruises from getting over the overlap!
 Coel Hellier 15 Jun 2010
 Rog Wilko 15 Jun 2010
In reply to Coel Hellier: It did demolish it but the landowner (NT?) rebuilt it within a day or two.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...