UKC

NEWS: The Rock Archives: Old New-Route Books Online

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 25 Feb 2010
[Beau Geste first ascent details by Jonny Woodward, 3 kb]Have you ever wondered how Jonny Woodward described the first ascent of Beau Geste?

Or any well known and obscure routes, as they were first described in ink in the many new routes books in the UK.

The Rock Archivist is the brainchild of Lancashire climber Phil Kelly.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=52108

Derbyshire Ben 25 Feb 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Fantastic - thanks Phil.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 25 Feb 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Great stuff, rolling back the years!

Chris
 gethin_allen 25 Feb 2010
In reply to UKC News: just had a quick look through a few pages and was heartened to find that the pro/anti bolting thing was going on as far back as the mid eighties, and people on UKC seem to think they are a the cutting edge.
 Michael Ryan 25 Feb 2010
In reply to gethin_allen:
> (In reply to UKC News) and people on UKC seem to think they are a the cutting edge.

The bolting argument pre-dates the 80's and yes it still rages today. Most UKC readers of an age know that, and those that don't are usually educated about it.

BlownAway 25 Feb 2010
In reply to gethin_allen:
> (In reply to UKC News) just had a quick look through a few pages and was heartened to find that the pro/anti bolting thing was going on as far back as the mid eighties, and people on UKC seem to think they are a the cutting edge.

It's been on the hob since the first bolts were placed. Usually it bubbles away on a back burner but sometimes it spills over. It'll never be done.

Another, recently discovered Peak book documents 'clean' ascents of routes in the area - ie done chalkless. This isn't quite as big an issue as it was in the late 70's! This book will be online within a fortnight so you can read it online.

On another subject, another book I've been given is Steve Bancroft's personal new route journal, which should be online by the end of next week.

Phil

Jon Read 25 Feb 2010
In reply to phil kelly:
Well done for all this hard work Phil. Your place in climbing heaven is now reserved, but take your time....
 Tom Last 25 Feb 2010
In reply to UKC News:
Very cool, cheers for this.
 BlownAway 25 Feb 2010
In reply to Jon Read:
> (In reply to phil kelly)
> Well done for all this hard work Phil. Your place in climbing heaven is now reserved, but take your time....

Thanks Jon!

I'd just like to say though that a few other people have been involved with this project, and they deserve a special mention: Graham Hoey, the guys at the Outside in Hathersage, Ian Lonsdale and Brian Cropper (look out for their material over the next couple of months), Geoff Milburn and Steve Bancroft.

Thanks one and all.

Phil
Derbyshire Ben 25 Feb 2010
 John2 26 Feb 2010
In reply to Derbyshire Ben: Has anyone else been unable to register? I've submitted my details, but I haven't received an activation email.
 Michael Ryan 26 Feb 2010
In reply to John2:
> (In reply to Derbyshire Ben) Has anyone else been unable to register? I've submitted my details, but I haven't received an activation email.

Yes I did and had no problem.

BlownAway 26 Feb 2010
In reply to John2:
> (In reply to Derbyshire Ben) Has anyone else been unable to register? I've submitted my details, but I haven't received an activation email.

Hi John - I've activated your account. NOt sure why it failed. The site had a good couple of hundred new accounts yesterday.

Phil
Ackbar 26 Feb 2010
In reply to UKC News: Really interesting. Would be nice to see other new route books (e.g. Lundy) on this site. Out of interest, do people still record new ascents in new route books now that the internet is so commonly used?
 John2 26 Feb 2010
In reply to phil kelly: Thanks Phil, it's fine now.
 BlownAway 26 Feb 2010
In reply to Ackbar:
> (In reply to UKC News) Really interesting. Would be nice to see other new route books (e.g. Lundy) on this site.

Agreed, I think it would be an interesting exercise to centralise all the books in one location for research and easy reference - that's the general idea anyway.

> Out of interest, do people still record new ascents in new route books now that the internet is so commonly used?

There most certainly are books out there, but yes, a lot of areas have a diverse internet-based facility. The problem I see there is that there's a total lack of co-ordination and (dare I say it) regulation.

It's not beyond the wit of man to sort the problem but I suspect vested interests and politics would cloud the process.

Phil
 Michael Ryan 26 Feb 2010
In reply to phil kelly:
> (In reply to Ackbar)
> [...]
>
> but I suspect vested interests and politics would cloud the process.

Beware of the vested interest, the politics and the hidden agenda!

Chris the Tall 26 Feb 2010
In reply to phil kelly:
Fantastic effort, will look forward to browsing through the site when I have more time
murdster 26 Feb 2010
In reply to phil kelly:

Phil, why are you asking people to register to view the books?
 BlownAway 26 Feb 2010
In reply to murdster:
>
> Phil, why are you asking people to register to view the books?

Is this *really* a problem to you?

After spending 4 months working on this project so far, and with a large workload ahead, it's a bit disappointing to have this as a complaint.

Phil
 BlownAway 26 Feb 2010
In reply to UKC News:

A small update: After a whole raft of missed connections I've finally managed to agree with Pete's Eats that their whole archive (which is huge!) can become a part of the RockArchivist project and site.

This will start just as soon as the P2 is out of the way.

Phil
 Michael Ryan 26 Feb 2010
In reply to phil kelly:
> (In reply to murdster)
> [...]
>
> Is this *really* a problem to you?

> After spending 4 months working on this project so far, and with a large workload ahead, it's a bit disappointing to have this as a complaint.

But predictable Phil and yes it is a problem. It's a barrier to access for some.

Michael Ryan 26 Feb 2010
In reply to phil kelly:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> A small update: After a whole raft of missed connections I've finally managed to agree with Pete's Eats that their whole archive (which is huge!) can become a part of the RockArchivist project and site.

amazing.
 BlownAway 26 Feb 2010
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> But predictable Phil and yes it is a problem. It's a barrier to access for some.

Surely it's a personal choice, not a barrier.

We can review this over time.
 Simon 26 Feb 2010
In reply to UKC News:

This is great stuff to see all the comments over the years. Glad to be in there in the 90's!

Si
 lex 26 Feb 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Fine effort Phil.

I look forward to having a proper look when at home.

I find the history of climbing fascinating, and think it gives the climbs I can do, and those I can't, a greater depth and interest.

Thanks for your hard work,

Lex
In reply to UKC News: Excellent work. I remember the Stoney book so well, and can recall seeing the Rooster Booster and Tequila Mockingbird entries within days of them first being scrawled in there. The book was just as scruffy then!
On a wet day in Stoney we'd read "Crags", and perhaps "Mountain" (usually just the bit we could get through before being asked to return the copy to the counter). Then the New Route book would provide some free entertainment (and wonder) for a few minutes.
Then it would be back to gazing glumly through the window at the passing quarry trucks shooshing by outside, until giving up and setting off for Pleasley Vale for some dry bouldering.

Steve Bancroft showed us a hugely exciting (not) game played on the cafe tables called "isolated triangles", but sometimes the new route book was as good as the day got...
Excellent idea, UK climbing history deserves these documentt being preserved as part of our heritage.
 duzinga 27 Feb 2010
In reply to UKC News: I like how he crosses out the E7, which is the actual grade and what must have felt like to him, and writes something lower.
 Offwidth 27 Feb 2010
In reply to phil kelly:

I feel guilty taking those books now! How weird that a slowing in contracts can kick start something wonderful like this.

I don't see Mick's oft raised concern about vested interests being much of an issue here, as the history is far too important. I suspect even most individual collectors will be swayed to help out.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 27 Feb 2010
In reply to duzinga:
> (In reply to UKC News) I like how he crosses out the E7, which is the actual grade and what must have felt like to him, and writes something lower.

I strongly suspect it wasn't JW who crossed out and altered the grade. More likely someone who had an opinion but hadn't done the route. The books were full of macho bullshirt!

Chris
In reply to UKC News: This is great stuff, thanks Phil. I recall seeing these books way back but I can't for the life of me remember if we ever added any entries despite freeing a number of previously aided routes. We had suffered a few put downs which put us off going public. I suddenly feel very old.

Al
 Michael Ryan 27 Feb 2010
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> (In reply to duzinga)
> [...]
>
> I strongly suspect it wasn't JW who crossed out and altered the grade. More likely someone who had an opinion but hadn't done the route.

Was it you Chris?

Sorry I couldn't resist ; o )
 BlownAway 27 Feb 2010
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> (In reply to duzinga)
> [...]
>
> I strongly suspect it wasn't JW who crossed out and altered the grade. More likely someone who had an opinion but hadn't done the route. The books were full of macho bullshirt!

I'm going to stick my neck out here and suggest this was Jerry, sometime later, but before the book was removed from the cafe.

It certainly wasn't written by anybody that had done an ascent because the change was made when the book was 'live' in the cafe, and at that time, Johnny and Mark hadn't repeated it.

I suspect it was Jerry, in his "there are no 6c's" phase, though I could be wrong.

Phil
 BlownAway 27 Feb 2010
In reply to Offwidth:
>
> I feel guilty taking those books now! How weird that a slowing in contracts can kick start something wonderful like this.

It's OK, I think the books went to the best possible place, and hey, it got them out of my way. Having said that though this whole project has shown a huge opening, and I might just be back in touch for some help real soon.

> I don't see Mick's oft raised concern about vested interests being much of an issue here, as the history is far too important. I suspect even most individual collectors will be swayed to help out.

Let's hope so. It's important to get it all done and recorded. My only wish would be to do it properly, plan it properly and centralise it. OK, so maybe 3 wishes, but common sense!

Phil
 Michael Ryan 27 Feb 2010
In reply to Offwidth:
>

> I don't see Mick's oft raised concern about vested interests being much of an issue here, as the history is far too important. I suspect even most individual collectors will be swayed to help out.

Exactly. Because there are no agendas and vested interests, just a passion for climbing history that is free to all to view.

More power to Phil and those who help.

In reply to phil kelly: My favourite around this time was when Quentin put up 'Kingfisher' ....on Ravensdale? Some wag (think it was Jerry) crossed the name out in the Stoney new route book and re-named it 'QueenQuent'.
 Boy Global Crag Moderator 28 Feb 2010
In reply to UKC News: Big thank you to Phil and everyone else involved! Totally brilliant effort. You do past, present and future climbers a huge service by preserving these records before their coffee stained pages rotted to illegibility.
 BlownAway 28 Feb 2010
In reply to Lincoln Climber:
> (In reply to phil kelly) My favourite around this time was when Quentin put up 'Kingfisher' ....on Ravensdale?

Wasn't Kingfisher at Rubicon? Wasn't it the one that needed 2 belayers?

What was the one he had as a cover photo on High? Piranha?

BlownAway 28 Feb 2010
In reply to Boy:
> before their coffee stained pages rotted to illegibility.

Or for the next batch - beer-stained.
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 28 Feb 2010
In reply to phil kelly:
> (In reply to Lincoln Climber)
> [...]
>
> Wasn't Kingfisher at Rubicon?

Yes

> What was the one he had as a cover photo on High? Piranha?

No, that was Kingfisher. I think it was my photo...

Neil
murdster 01 Mar 2010
In reply to phil kelly:

> Is this *really* a problem to you?
>
> After spending 4 months working on this project so far, and with a large workload ahead, it's a bit disappointing to have this as a complaint.

Phil, whilst I think the project is a great idea, I don't appreciate your implied sarcasm or whatever you're suggesting in your reply.

You're disappointed to have this as a 'complaint'?
I was only asking WHY you're asking people to register. No need to go off on one.

BlownAway 01 Mar 2010
In reply to murdster:

Perhaps if you want to have a contructive discussion you could let me know your real name or post some kind of profile. Contact me directly if you want to, but there's really no need for all these negative vibes on UKC.

Phil
 Doug 01 Mar 2010
In reply to phil kelly: any chance you'll extent the scope & cover the Scottish new routes books ? I'd love to see some of the books from Tiso's again

But understand if you think this is for someone else
 BlownAway 01 Mar 2010
In reply to Doug:
> (In reply to phil kelly) any chance you'll extent the scope & cover the Scottish new routes books ? I'd love to see some of the books from Tiso's again

It would be brilliant if we could delve into Tiso's and Nevisport's archives and publish them - if there's anybody out there with the contacts then I'd love to start the process.

One of the problems is that (for all the right reasons) it's not sensible to post the books around, and so it may be better to have a 'local correspondent' who gathers the books and scans them.

> But understand if you think this is for someone else

No, I think we should make the resource as comprehensive as possible! Having all this sort of thing in one place would be the sensible approach.

Phil
 BlownAway 01 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Tremadog 1984 now online

Phil
 jon 01 Mar 2010
In reply to phil kelly:

Well done Phil. Are you sure it's Bremen... looks more like Bremex?
 BlownAway 01 Mar 2010
In reply to jon:
>
> Well done Phil. Are you sure it's Bremen... looks more like Bremex?

Ah, you might be right. It's been a long day!

Phil
murdster 07 Mar 2010
In reply to phil kelly:

"Surely it's a personal choice, not a barrier"

It's a barrier.
Why are you asking people to register?
 Mick Ward 07 Mar 2010
In reply to murdster:

I would refer you to Phil's comment:

'Perhaps if you want to have a contructive discussion you could let me know your real name or post some kind of profile. Contact me directly if you want to...'

Have you done as he suggested?

Mick
 BlownAway 15 Apr 2010
In reply to Mick Ward:
> (In reply to murdster)
>
> Contact me directly if you want to...'
>
> Have you done as he suggested?

No, I don't think he has!

Phil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...