UKC

NEWS: Fri Night Vid: Vertical Limit 'Safety' Video

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 11 Dec 2009
[Vertical Limit, 3 kb]Tonight's Friday night video is a serious instructional offering, using footage from the documentary film Vertical Limit.

"Short-roping can be a problem on vertical walls. Especially when your exploding bolts fail!"

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=50779
5cifi - BAD SELLER 11 Dec 2009
In reply to UKC News: Funny video, well put together, cheered me up abit
 McBirdy 11 Dec 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Perhaps worth making mandatory viewing for university climbing club inductions?
 bawbag 11 Dec 2009
In reply to UKC News: Fantastic.... Thanks you have just ruined my fav film ever Merry Xmas
 Reidy 11 Dec 2009
In reply to UKC News: I never go mountaineering without nitroglycerin it's like duct tape in it's usefulness
 d_b 11 Dec 2009
In reply to Reidy:

I agree. It is just the thing for getting rid of pesky cornices.
 Tris 11 Dec 2009
In reply to UKC News: Brilliant - I'd forgotten how realistic that film was
In reply to UKC News: I'm never singing Macarthur Park on the crag again.
 dredpath 11 Dec 2009
In reply to UKC News:
Excellent! Can't wait for the next installment.
Can we get Mr Cruise in MI3 too.
 McBirdy 11 Dec 2009
In reply to dredpath:

I seem to remember a Bond film too, with a cam in a flared chossy pocket, plus pitons being hammered out by an evil bad guy?
 JH74 11 Dec 2009
In reply to Ben Darvill: For Your Eyes Only. With the inimitable Roger Moore. Set in Meteora in Greece. A classy scene with the shoelace prussiking..
In reply to UKC News: yh and he uses shoe lace prussics
 Diggler 11 Dec 2009
In reply to UKC News:

What sort of Scottish tech grade do you recon that jump with the axes weighs in at????
 mars 11 Dec 2009
In reply to UKC News: Rule number !: always be the one with the knife - Brilliant!
loopyone 11 Dec 2009
In reply to andy martlew:
> (In reply to UKC News) Rule number !: always be the one with the knife - Brilliant!

very sound advice, i always make a point of reminding my partners before we set of in the alps that my knife is always close at hand if they get too annoying while we're out and about.
 Michael Ryan 12 Dec 2009
In reply to tatty112:

Is Kinder Downfall in?
 EZ 12 Dec 2009
In reply to Lemming: Have you ever sung anything on the crag?
 L.A. 12 Dec 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Yes its fat ice but you shouldnt solo it!!
 gabriel_m 12 Dec 2009
In reply to UKC News:
As a funnier internet person than I once said 'Remember kids, always Check Your Safety!'. On a side note, even though I have seen the first clip a silly number of times I always still find new things to laugh at. Does anyone keep a whistle in one hand while belaying?
BuffaloBill 12 Dec 2009
In reply to UKC News: But I thought bolts could pop like that (refer to climber that died not too long ago in Australia I think).
Also, the rope wouldn't have cut the guy in half because it connects with his knot on his harness first.
I'm not saying it isn't a totally naff sequence but what happens isn't totally impossible...... and it is only a movie after all. Cut poor the 'boy wonder' some slack (oops bad pun)
 liz j 12 Dec 2009
In reply to Diggler:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> What sort of Scottish tech grade do you recon that jump with the axes weighs in at????

I'm not sure, but I would guess that he'd get on Parnell's grade VIII list no problem.
Or maybe not
 Nigel Modern 12 Dec 2009
In reply to UKC News: I may be taking this too seriously but wouldn't the cam have been more likely to dislodge with the recoil on a dynamic rope as the lowest climber was cut free?
 whistler 12 Dec 2009
In reply to UKC News:
Who made it ? Some one has put a lot of effort in this and the goal is not very clear. Is this meant to be funny or only IS funny ?
 jon 12 Dec 2009
In reply to whistler:

That echoes my feelings, it's hard to see where it's coming from or going to - but it's highly entertaining.
 Rob15 12 Dec 2009
In reply to UKC News: hahaha brilliant. I'd forgotten jsut how bad that film was.
 horzs 13 Dec 2009
In reply to UKC News: in an similar vein, here's a little something i noticed in GI Joe. I never knew you could abseil off of a single screwgate

http://tinypic.com/r/npm80n/6
 pneame 13 Dec 2009
In reply to UKC News:
I'm in stitches....
As Tom Patey said
- a solo climber: one climber falling alone
- a roped party: several climbers falling together.
Well, he actually ascribed these definitions to the popular press.
 gethin_allen 13 Dec 2009
In reply to UKC News:
I was just wondering what metolius thought about their cams being used in such a fascicle climbing situation? Surely they loose cred, points for that.
Chris Ellyatt 16 Dec 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Their epic on K2 puts even Andy Kirkpatrick's stories to shame!

haha

In reply to EZ: Errrmm fair point...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...