UKC

NEWS: UKClimbing is Expanding - Staff needed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 26 Nov 2009
[Alan James in the jungle of modern climbing media with the proofs of the Pembroke Rockfax, 4 kb]UKClimbing is looking for a full-time graphic designer / sub-editor.

If you have expertise with the Adobe suite, can write, photograph, design and edit to a high standard, are able to work from home and have an encyclopaedic knowledge of obscure Peak Limestone then read on...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=50572

Go straight to the job spec:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=2292

BelleVedere 26 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News:

So pretty much discrimination by location then...
 Jack Geldard 26 Nov 2009
In reply to es: In what way?
 Jonny2vests 26 Nov 2009
In reply to es:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> So pretty much discrimination by location then...

Sounds like its mostly working from home. And what normal job couldn't be described like that anyway?
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

I think they were suggesting that only peak based climbers would have knowleddge of obscure peak crags.... I have found the complete opposite is usually true
 Jack Geldard 26 Nov 2009
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC): Yes I thought so too, but well, it was, a, erm, you know, erm, ... joke!

Just to clarify - an encyclopaedic knowledge of obscure Peak Limestone - that bit was my awful attempt at humour.

Jack
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Good luck Jack et al, hope you find someone soon.

Thought I had a chance but I fall down as I have expertise with crayons and paper, can just about write, draw, post on UKC to a low standard, I'm able to work from home and have an encyclopaedic knowledge of obscure Wirral Sandstone.

Anyway, I'm sure the new person will do very well.

GBPCG
 neilh 26 Nov 2009
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Disappointed - done some first ascents in Great Rocks Dale and done things like Dewdrop and A man Possessed. Do these not count as obscure limestone routes.
 Jack Geldard 26 Nov 2009
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:

> I have expertise with crayons and paper, can just about write, draw, post on UKC to a low standard

Hey Grumpy - you can't have my job!!

In reply to UKC News:

"You will be working primarily alongside Alan James to finalise Rockfax guidebooks"

This job was created for me. Where do I apply?
 tom84 26 Nov 2009
In reply to Franco Cookson:

< < < < <silence> > > > >
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> "You will be working primarily alongside Alan James to finalise Rockfax guidebooks"
>
>
> This job was created for me. Where do I apply?

here

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=2292
 Dan_S 26 Nov 2009
> (In reply to UKC News)
> Where do I apply?

I think you just failed the first aspect of the application process!

BelleVedere 26 Nov 2009
In reply to es:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> So pretty much discrimination by location then...

And just to clarify - that was my attempt at humour

(how am i still to dry after all this rain?)
loopyone 26 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News: Reckon i could do the job as a part time post around teaching as it doesn't pay anywhere near enough to make me give up teaching altogether!
 twigulus 26 Nov 2009
In reply to Franco Cookson: ha ha, franco.
 Owen W-G 26 Nov 2009
Where do I apply?

Show some initiative young man, it impresses potential employers
 Michael Ryan 26 Nov 2009
In reply to Owen W-G:

Interesting...

"The UKC team is a close knit family and we are looking for a new member. If you have expertise with the Adobe suite, can write, photograph, design and edit to a high standard, are able to work from home and have an encyclopaedic knowledge of obscure Peak Limestone "

The last bit is obviously a joke, perhaps a prerequisite of the job to identify such humour. Interesting because the skill set is quite broad and shows how jobs in the media have changed.

In the past it was good enough to just write words or photo edit, or be a designer, or have the social skills to network. On a film course earlier this week we were told that no longer can you just be a sound engineer, or just a cameraman, or an editor, but to succeed you have to have all those skills.

The money isn't there, generally, for you to film, then enlist an editor, then contract out to a sound an engineer. You have to do all.

Not ideal, but the reality these days.

Mick
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Nov 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Need to add into the Job Description - "Best Job in the World"!

Chris

Sam L 26 Nov 2009
> (In reply to Owen W-G)
>
"The money isn't there, generally, for you to film, then enlist an editor, then contract out to a sound an engineer. You have to do all."

On the internet. One of its downsides, and leads to sloppy subbing, clunky writing, bad films and ugly design (not necessarily on UKC).

JSA 26 Nov 2009

It's my ideal job...

unfortunately i can't do this...

* Work in close co-operation with Rockfax book authors to sub-edit their work using Adobe InDesign and Adobe Photoshop.
* Edit, correct and standardise text and artwork.
* Fine tune the layout in conjunction with the chief editor and prepare books for press.
* Work on a schedule of four books per year.

Or this

Secondary Areas of Responsibility

* Edit and layout articles on the UKClimbing.com web site.
* Assist in maintaining and managing the Rockfax Route Database and the UKClimbing.com Logbook database.

Qualifications/Experience/Skills

* Experience in working in Adobe InDesign or equivalent.
* Experience in editing text.

Can do the below
* Ability to see a job through from start to finish, working to tight deadlines.
* Self-motivated and able to work independently from home.
* Able to work as part of a team.
* Have an acute attention to detail.

But i'm a quick study.

You can send the time and date of my interview via PM.

Look forward to hearing from you.

TIC

Jus 26 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News:

How many hours a week would the job entail?
loopyone 26 Nov 2009
In reply to Jus: Thats a rather sensible question i was just wondering whether it was the kind of job you could do in evenings, weekends and 14 weeks school holidays. I could use the internet for something productive rather than wasting time on UKC
In reply to Jus:
> How many hours a week would the job entail?

It is full-time, so notionally 40 hours is on the contract, however we all work a lot harder than that!

Alan
 Jus 26 Nov 2009
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

mmm so do I but for a lot more money! still, I seem to have all the right experience - I'd be keen if I was moving up north from London any time soon.
about a year or 2 too early!
 Chris the Tall 26 Nov 2009
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> Need to add into the Job Description - "Best Job in the World"!
>
That was covered in the news item

"You won't be jetting off to Kalymnos and the Costa Blanca every week to check for soft-touches, because that is Chris Craggs' job."

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 27 Nov 2009
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> [...]
> That was covered in the news item
>
> "You won't be jetting off to Kalymnos and the Costa Blanca every week to check for soft-touches, because that is Chris Craggs' job."

As long as that is FULLY understood by the applicants!

Chris

darrell Thorpe 28 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Hi there,
A friend of mine emailed me about this job.
I have a 1st class degree in Graphic Design and I have worked as a multi discipline designer for 3.5 years. Which involved Print, Web, Motion, Illustration and Photography (mainly product).

I work at a professional level in all of the Adobe suite: Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Flash, Dreamweaver and I am also have an in depth knowledge of Interactive PDFs. I use a MAC but can cross platform on to a PC, I am also skilled in Quark Xpress as well. I live in Marlow so a fair way away and I love climbing but due to my location I don't get a lot of time to get out doors to climb so I would say I climb more indoors than out.

I am currently working as an in-house designer, working on email campaigns and marketing material, as well as a huge website which i am working on with programmers to build. I have been designing and developing the site which includes an online store and several micro-sites.

The main question for me is how often would i need to travel to sheffield and also what level of outdoor climbing knowledge is required? Would you see my skills and knowledge making me an acceptable candidate? Bearing in mind i do not have explicit peaks knowledge.

Regards

Darrell Thorpe
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 28 Nov 2009
In reply to darrell Thorpe:

Hi Darrell,
you need to contact Alan (link at the bottom of the forums front page) or fill in the application form which can be reached from the news article.

Best of luck

Chris

PS I assume it is Darrell and not darrell?
darrell Thorpe 29 Nov 2009
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the post, found it thank you very much.
Well if I succeed or not at least I found this useful site!

Darrell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...