NEW REVIEW: Merino Wool Baselayers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 23 Oct 2009
[Airing at Kahiltna base camp, Denali behind (Viv Scott)., 3 kb]

Merino wool has become the new craze in base layers, claiming the very desirable properties of natural feeling, odour resistance and eco-friendliness.

Viv Scott tests some merino baselayers from Chocolate Fish Merino and says "the best base layers I've ever used by miles..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=2174

eagleopus 23 Oct 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

"Possibly the only activity for which I'll continue to use synthetics is running, where the slightly faster drying time when continuously pouring sweat, wins."

Does this mean they don't wick as well as the synthetics?
 GarethSL 23 Oct 2009
In reply to eagleopus: not as well no, but depends on the thickness, i have a rho ltw which is awesome and a patagonia wool 4 which is really thick in comparison, both wick well but they're warm to wear.
 eagleopus 23 Oct 2009
In reply to Gaz lord:

When I'm moving I get very sweaty very quickly at -5 I can get away with just a thin base layer as long as I keep moving. The down side is when I stop moving my body temperature plummets and the duvet jackets has to go straight on or I'm in trouble. So the overriding priority in my base layers is to shift as much water as quickly as possible.
 31770 23 Oct 2009
In reply to eagleopus:
I think its a little more complex then "wicking" well. In my experience, and I wear a lot of merino (currently sitting wearing a 150 weight t-shirt and 320 weight jumper from Icebreaker), it wicks really well if not better then synthetics up to a point where the "water" seams to overload the wool at which point they get a bit damp and don't seam to work as well. This point seams much higher then for synthetics but the consequence seam worse - so for example if I was going kayaking I'd take synthetic as the likely hood of it being really wet is higher. However for climbing merino seams more comfortable all day. I'd happily wear my 150 and 260 weight tops all day and not overheat and sweat or get cold anywhere near as much as when I wear the synthetic equivalents.

apologies for the grammar / readability of the above but I'm about to finish my lunch break so had to type this in a rush...
 TobyA 23 Oct 2009
In reply to eagleopus:

> Does this mean they don't wick as well as the synthetics?

Probably not but in my experience it isn't a huge difference and it is easily balanced out by Merinos advantages - notably the smell or lack thereof.
 vscott 23 Oct 2009
In reply to eagleopus: Hi eagleopus,
When exposed to dry air wet/sweaty synthetics will dry slightly faster than merino, but they don't wick as such. There's a good explanation of this on the Chocolate Fish site
http://www.chocolatefishmerino.co.uk/technical/wicking.html

I find the wool to be much more comfortable when 'sweaty/damp' (e.g. when stopping after activity i.e. after arriving at a belay) than a synthetic which can feel very clammy.

cheers

viv

eagleopus 23 Oct 2009
In reply to vscott:

Thanks Viv, that's a useful link that explains what's actually going on. To some degree I was already moving in that direction by switching to soft shells. Now if only someone can come up with a practical system to shift all the moisture between my back and my pack and I might be winning. Before anyone mentions a pack with back vents, have you ever tried climbing with one.
 biscuit 23 Oct 2009
In reply to eagleopus:

I got a montane merino/synthetic mix long sleeve top for running in cold conditions. It's the business and dries a lot quicker than my 100% merino base layer but is warmer for it's weight and doesn't smell even after multiple uses without washing. Not as warm as the 100% merino but that's a lot thicker.

It's my most commonly used base layer now for all activities in colder weather.
 Scarab 24 Oct 2009
Im wearing ice breaker as we speak as well.

The thing I prefer the most about merino is the comfort, superb compared to anything else that I have tried.

You also have to watch out for quality, the merell merino stuff is not half as good as other brands. Its itchy and generally crap.
 Denzil 27 Oct 2009
In reply to 31770: I took two Chocolate Fish merino tops when sea kayaking for two weeks in Alaska in August. Performed superbly - even when completely drenched (raining for two hours with a "temporary" spray deck which leaked like a sieve). They were similarly great on a 5 week trip to the Himalaya last year - pong free after all that time, and most synthetics only cope with one day for me before the smell gets unbearable.
Denzil
 lummox 27 Oct 2009
In reply to eagleopus: As much as I love merino tops for cycling/walking/climbing etc. I think I`m going to revert to synthetic for mountain marathons/long fellraces- simply because they dry out quicker than wool.
 Wry Spudding 03 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: So have all the animal cruelty issues associated with rearing of merino sheep been solved then? Does anyone know which, if any, brands are cruelty-free?
 Jim Fraser 03 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

Warm when wet is the overwhelming advantage of wools. Polypropylene is the only synthetic that comes close.

I tend to be suspicious of wool products that emphasise comfort aspects. There are varieties of wool and processed wools around that sacrifice the characteristics that produce the wicking and wet warmth for the sake of comfort for the cotton-wearing population.
 Tall Clare 03 Nov 2009
In reply to RichMoss:

Icebreaker use sheep that haven't been mulesed (if that's the right term).

More here: http://www.icebreaker.com/site/philosophy/#/sustainability/animalwelfare/

Howies also use mulesing-free merino - more in this PDF: http://www.howies.co.uk/images/cms/downloads/ZqueHowies.pdf

Tall Clare 03 Nov 2009
In reply to RichMoss:

...and this bit tells you about Chocolate Fish's ethical policies with regard to their merino: http://www.chocolatefishmerino.co.uk/technical/faqs.html

Wry Spudding 03 Nov 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: Thanks Clare, I had read that already - it surprised me that it was that far down the list of FAQs. It appears that the Zque accreditation scheme bans mulesing - but doesn't mention anything about slaughter policy.
A bit of internet searching just now turned up the PETA website which suggests that mulesing is still widespread, with the Australian Wool Industry getting most criticism.

Looking at http://www.savethesheep.com/animals.asp - this suggests that a large numner of Australian and NZ sheep are shipped in overcrowded conditions to the Middle East for slaughter - often having their throats slit while fully conscious.

I think need to look into this more, but for now I'm happy to continue with my synthetic Hellys and Polypros.
 Tall Clare 03 Nov 2009
In reply to RichMoss:

I don't understand why they're killing the sheep to get the wool...? (or is that a separate issue)
 Wry Spudding 03 Nov 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: As the sheep age their wool productivity drops below profitable levels, they are apparently sold for slaughter.
 Tall Clare 03 Nov 2009
In reply to RichMoss:

d'oh. Of course.

(sorry, not being particularly sharp this afternoon. Need more cake.)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...