UKC

OI NEWS: Climb Magazine Re-Design

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 14 Aug 2009
[Climb Magazine Re-Design #1, 4 kb]A Fresh New Climb... Big Changes at Climb Magazine this month as we unveil our brand new look!

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=2024
 JLS 14 Aug 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

>"CLIMB has a brighter, fresher look...The paper has changed to a modern uncoated finish"

I'm not entirely convinced the photo's benefit from the new paper but I guess if it's more environmentally-friendly then it's to be commended. Also, not sure how commercially successful the homemade look will prove to be.
 lynda 14 Aug 2009
In reply to JLS:
I remember getting free posters of New Kids on the Block in my Smash Hits magazine as well. Not sure how that helps sales of a climbing mag but oh well.
 Scomuir 14 Aug 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:
Thought it looked quite good during the very brief look I had at it. I say "very brief", because I had to put it back on the shelf pretty quickly. This might not be a complaint that you were expecting, and it could just be the batch, but it stank! Something in the print process gave off quite a strong smell. Sorry, wasn't tempted to buy it
 Mr Lopez 14 Aug 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:
Cheaper paper and a free poster. Call that big changes?

What about writing decent articles? Wouldn't that be better?
In reply to Mr Lopez: Was very imprssed, the photos look amazing. Layout was not really any different, just looked strange. Still way better than Climber.
Removed User 14 Aug 2009
In reply to Mr Lopez: Here here. Notice the same old tired close up of a climber with no context covershot too...
 withey 14 Aug 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

I'm not convinced. Photos are less vivid, and it looks like it's gonna get trashed more easily, especially if like me, you take it to the crag/boulder of the month. The smell is appalling, but it does get better the longer it's out in the open for.

Oh, and the lack of a spine, means it looks more indistinct on the bookshelf, also if you get loads of them (I'm assuming that this new style will keep going for some time), they're not going to stack quite as well.

Environmental issues aside, I don't think it's any better than it used to be. In fact, I believe it's a step in the wrong direction.
 Michael Ryan 14 Aug 2009
In reply to withey:

I think the design is a step forward - look at the Tremadog feature - if they can keep that level of good design I think they are on to a winner. NIce one George Smith who wrote it, Ray Wood who photographed it and Neil Pearsons who edited it.

I'd say make the new 'Climb' logo smaller on the cover.

I like the new paper, if they can find a way of slightly increasing the saturation of the photos - a tad too pastel for me - that would be nice, a little too ghost like as well. It's feel and look is generally good. I like it.

The smell? They should theme that each issue - maybe a Lakeland moss smell next issue! The Chee Dale, 'hanging gardens of babylon' odour this issue was quite interesting. A Ben Nevis aroma in March should be quite a challenge.

The pull out spread - Al Lee's shot of Dave Birkett on 'Nowt But' is iconoclastic, despite being seen a lot. I'm sure Al will come back from Baffin with a lot of great shots. Look forward to seeing those in print.

Gill Wootton at Climb said they are going to put a gloss finish on the cover - that will make it stand out more and make it more attractive. The blacks black and the reds red.

Good effort I say.

Climber mag is good too this issue, I spent a pleasant lunch one day this week reading some of the articles. Enjoyed John Horscroft's Junkyard Angel piece - I'd just done the route again after many years, Al's Grit Flick piece and Bruce's article on the West Grat.

There's nothing like print!

Mick
Senior Editor
UKClimbing.com
 Michael Ryan 14 Aug 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
> (In reply to withey)
>
> I think the design is a step forward - look at the Tremadog feature - if they can keep that level of good design I think they are on to a winner. NIce one George Smith who wrote it, Ray Wood who photographed it and Neil Pearsons who edited it.

.....and importantly the person who designed it, layed it out!
daveth 15 Aug 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: It does smell bad, I couldn't read it in one go because I couldn't stand the stench for very long!
Also think it doesn't stand out at all well on the shelf, took me a while to find it in my local newsagent.
Can't complain about the contents though, still a good read.
johnSD 15 Aug 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
>
> The pull out spread - Al Lee's shot of Dave Birkett on 'Nowt But' is iconoclastic, despite being seen a lot.

Do you mean iconic? Or do you actually mean that Climb magazine have printed a poster designed to bring Dave Birkett down a peg or two?....

In reply to UKC Gear: i like the new design! anythin better for the environment is a big plus in my eyes!! posters - awesome! it smells a bit bu i barely notice it, u lot are obv a bunch of wetties living in sterilised houses!!! couldnt fault it really!!
Murdy 16 Aug 2009
The quality of the photos is dreadful.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...