UKC

NEWS: Top American Alpinists Killed in China

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 17 Jun 2009
[Jonny Copp and Mica Dash taken from The Sharp End on Vimeo, 2 kb]Jonny Copp, Micah Dash and climbing camera-man Wade Johnson have been tragically killed in what is thought to be an avalanche accident below E Gongga (Mt Edgar, 6,618m) in the Minya Konka Group of Sichuan's Daxue Shan.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=47964
 Silum 17 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Wow, craziness. Thoughts and condolences to the families and friends. They were certainly an entertaining bunch and i'm sure will be deeply missed.
 Raskolnik 17 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:
I'm surprised how saddened I am to read about this given that I know almost nothing about them. It's amazing how much effect seeing them on screen has on you. Their section from The Sharp End was one of the most insightful and entertaining parts in the film and they came across as very genuine and full of life.
In reply to Jester87:

Well put. I concur.

RPG
 davefount 17 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News: a sad loss
 MorganPreece 17 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News: RIP guys!!
In reply to UKC News:

Really sad news - a real loss for the climing community.

Micah was a top bloke who was so totally psyched for climbing. I knew him back before he'd done a route on El Cap and seeing him go bananas for doing Zodiac was inspiring! I thought if he can do it, then I can.

Very quickly he became part of the Yosemite scene and despite being pretty darn cool, was always happy to help out with bits and pieces and offer places to stay. I remember him highballing (or trying to!) on Pint Sized and turning round high up to jump back into a tree - he just thought it was funny. I tried to same trick and absolutely crapped my pants. Hardcore dude.

If there's a heaven I'm sure he's doing well up there.
 MorganPreece 17 Jun 2009
In reply to Tom Randall - Lattice Training: you just have to watch The Sharp End. When johnny does the alpine river swim, 2 really cool guys
 Dan_Carroll 18 Jun 2009
In reply to Jester87:

my thoughts exactly. had only just watched the sharp end days before this happened and it's very sad indeed.
reading some of the pretty moving tributes on the adventurefilm.org blog and it seems like they were a huge part of the climbing community over there and will be sadly missed by many. RIP.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...