UKC

NEWS: MBE For Ma Weston - Bosherston

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 15 Jun 2009
[Ma Weston, 2 kb]The infamous Ma Weston, owner of the Olde Worlde Cafe, Bosherston, Pembroke has received an MBE in the Queen's birthday honours list.

Mrs Weston is now 87 years old and has been serving tea since she was 17.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=47917

Ian McNeill 15 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Well done and thanks for the nomination long over due recognition well deserved .

Introduced our eldest girls this time last year .... they were impressed and bemused at the pricing structure ... you will know what I mean ... if you have ordered odd combos and paid more than the person next to you for the same meal ...

The girls came away very happy ...

Keep up the good work see you soon
 Chris F 15 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News: Good news, she is an institution. Needs the next new route done to be named in her honour - "Toast, Tea, MBE"
 Mark Collins 15 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:
> The infamous Ma Weston, owner of the Olde Worlde Cafe, Bosherston, Pembroke has received an MBE in the Queen's birthday honours list.

Congratulations Ma Weston, just wondering why she is infamous. Does she put something in the tea?
 GrahamD 15 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Just think - she would be a dame by now if ever she had cooking breakfasts as well.
Aiden Wright 16 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News: It's a long time since I've had anything to do with the tea rooms here. I'm sure she has done a lot for Pembroke tourism (is that the same as being a fixture on the scene?), but her tea is still awful and the quality of the food pretty dire. There are much better places! But what the heck, getting this has probably made her very happy and does no one any harm (unless they drink her tea to celebrate)

In reply to Aiden Wright: Have to agree, Ive been there twice out of necessity (couldnt find any food in the morning close). The food was expensive, small in quantity and pretty rank. Not something i would expect an award of an MBE for.

cheers
Tim
 Chris F 16 Jun 2009
In reply to tbertenshaw: She told me she deliberately serves bad food to whingers.
 jon 16 Jun 2009
Jesus, I don't believe this. She's still working at 87, 27 years past her retirement age. She is the biggest supporter of climbers in Pembrokeshire. She's an institution. Nobody goes there to eat their main meal of the day - it's very much a social thing.

And you bastards complain.
 Michael Ryan 16 Jun 2009
In reply to jon:

I had some toated tea cakes there last week - they were groovy, as was the tea.
In reply to Chris F: she must have been psychic then. Thats a cause for an MBE, reckon i could serve cheaper, nicer food with both my arms cut off and shoved up **********.

Ok if we laughably assume that she actually makes good cheap food. Then how does running a niche cafe (only one there i think?) constitute contributing to the community, worthy of an award?

The business park i work on has only one cafe, which has to cater for lots of people a day, think of the work involved. Gosh. Think it's time to get onto my council man to get a knighthood arranged.

Cheers
Tim
 richtea21 16 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

First introduced to Ma Westons 20 years ago, I've been back every couple of years or so (always for a cream tea) and never had any problem with the price or quality. A group of us used to go fairly often from Swansea Uni, and would quite happily fill the front room while Ma fussed over us in her usual (slightly severe) way. IMHO its characters like her that make travel so much fun.

The only odd thing is the way that while we all age, the lovely ladies that serve you seem not to change from one year to the next.

Hmm maybe Pemb for me this W/E

Long Live Ma Weston!
In reply to tbertenshaw:

She's been working there for 70 years! Lighten up dude.
 Chris F 16 Jun 2009
In reply to tbertenshaw: unlike Ma's tea, you are clearly bitter.
 ksjs 16 Jun 2009
In reply to tbertenshaw: agreed - this reflects poorly on honours. as Geoff Boycott rightly and regularly reminds us about the medals (or whatever they were) for the winning English Ashes team of a few years back they had a lucky victory and were just doing their job so why the award?
In reply to ksjs:
> agreed - this reflects poorly on honours.

Disagreed - this is what they should be for. Mrs Weston's cafe is an institution; honours should be used to recognise and celebrate the people who play a particular part in making communities what they are.

T.
 jon 16 Jun 2009
In reply to tbertenshaw:
> (In reply to Chris F) she must have been psychic then. Thats a cause for an MBE, reckon i could serve cheaper, nicer food with both my arms cut off and shoved up **********.
>
> Ok if we laughably assume that she actually makes good cheap food. Then how does running a niche cafe (only one there i think?) constitute contributing to the community, worthy of an award?
>
> The business park i work on has only one cafe, which has to cater for lots of people a day, think of the work involved. Gosh. Think it's time to get onto my council man to get a knighthood arranged.
>
> Cheers
> Tim

I've just looked at your profile. No wonder your posts are as obnoxious as they are.
 ksjs 16 Jun 2009
In reply to Pursued by a bear: im not being negative for the sake of it - i genuinely dont understand why some nice woman with a nice wee cafe should receive an award like this. maybe i dont fully appreciate what MBEs are for but my perception is that honours / awards are (should be) given for grand, inspiring things / acts or people that have performed above and beyond the call of duty in their particular field.
 brieflyback 16 Jun 2009
In reply to ksjs:

You're labouring under the misapprehension that there is a team of people who are carefully weighing the deeds of everyone in the realm to make sure that only the most worthy are selected.

As opposed to a small committee opening envelopes, thinking 'she seems nice', and sticking them down for an MBE.

It's often about how long you stick at something rather than how brilliant you are at it. It's about contribution to community over many years.
In reply to ksjs:
> i genuinely dont understand why some nice woman with a nice wee cafe should receive an award like this . . . my perception is that honours / awards are (should be) given for grand, inspiring things / acts or people that have performed above and beyond the call of duty in their particular field.

I think that's a fair summary. And there will be many people who believe that someone who has worked for 70 years in her cafe and seen it go from (I assume) something that may have served a small number of passing tourists visiting the Bosherston Pools and the chapel at St Govans with perhaps a small amount of trade related to the firing ranges, to become an institution for climbers and walkers, known far beyond the confines of the out of the way little village in which it sits has indeed done a grand, inspiring thing. It's just a grand, inspiring thing on a small scale.

T.
 Ian Milward 16 Jun 2009
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Seconded!
In reply to jon: ¿por qué? Do you think i would have offered a different opinion if that cafe was situated next to malham? If a pete's eats opened adjacent to her cafe, i would expect it would be "revisited" more. A rubbish cafe in a beautiful climbing setting does not an instituation make.

Cheers
Tim
 Ian Milward 16 Jun 2009
In reply to tbertenshaw:

Sounds like you won't be a regular visitor then...

Good.

(Three cheers for 'Aunty' Vi!)
 Johnny Baker 16 Jun 2009
Its heart warming to see such long suffering hospitality rewarded in this way. I could understand the shock if Ma Weston had been awarded a Michelin star, but this MBE is well deserved and a celebration for the wider community that enjoy the special qualities of Bosherton. Can her detractors demonstrate the same level of graft and commitment? I doubt it.
Jim Nicoll 17 Jun 2009
In reply to Johnny Baker:

She's certainly a character, but if she has been awarded an MBE where's Eric Jones' knighthood !?
SJames123 19 Jun 2009
My what a miserable lot some of you are.

I trust you will not be frequenting the place when on a cold wet morning there is nothing else around in the area.

This MBE is well deserved, there is a world beyond climbing, seems some of you need reminding.

Now this is a good idea.......
Good news, she is an institution. Needs the next new route done to be named in her honour - "Toast, Tea, MBE"

Safe climbing and enjoy.
 Chris F 19 Jun 2009
In reply to SJames123:
> "Toast, Tea, MBE"

I said exactly the same thing on Monday - see earlier posts.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...