UKC

NEWS: 'HOLDZ' - Crag Cleaning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 01 Apr 2009
[A freshly cleaned Widdop traverse, 3 kb]Climbing hold and wall product manufacturer HOLDZ have embarked on a task to keep some of gritstone's finest problems immaculately clean.

By removing unsightly chalk blobs from the gritstone boulders of Yorkshire and the Peak District, the Holdz team hope to open the eyes of climbers to the aesthetic nature of the rock formations.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=46724
 Michael Ryan 01 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC News:

This isn't new!!

In Bishop (groan not another Mick Bishop story), local climbers used to use Forest Service 'piss pumps' - portable canvas back backs containing water with a pump nozzle, to clean heavily chalked traverses and overhanging boulders.

We squirted water on the holds using the pumps and brushed the chalk holds with nylon brushes.

No grants were needed neither. We just borrowed the pumps off the Inyo National Forest and got on with it.

Mick
 Macca_7 01 Apr 2009
Come on Mick its April the 1st
 Dom Whillans 01 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC News:
La prifolo!
 Murderous_Crow 01 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC News:

>As part of the EU scheme, HOLDZ have to document each cleaned problem. To enable them to catalogue their efforts each boulder will be marked with a subtle, natural looking logo that is gently 'cleaned' in to the rock

Heard they have the contract for Stonehenge too
In reply to UKC News: The worst April Fool ever attempted!!
 JLS 01 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC News:

I really don't think UKC should be publishing this sort of thing.

If the mainstream press get hold of the fact that public EU money is being wasted cleaning rocks, during the current financial crisis, the image of rock climbing might well be dragged through the mud.

Do we really want to be tarred by a tabloid? Let's just live with some tick mark spoiled on-sights.
 Ian McNeill 01 Apr 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

I spot your jooke and you delete my Ha Ha .... how sad ...
 Enty 01 Apr 2009
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> This isn't new!!
>
> In Bishop (groan not another Mick Bishop story), local climbers used to use Forest Service 'piss pumps' - portable canvas back backs containing water with a pump nozzle, to clean heavily chalked traverses and overhanging boulders.
>
> We squirted water on the holds using the pumps and brushed the chalk holds with nylon brushes.
>
> No grants were needed neither. We just borrowed the pumps off the Inyo National Forest and got on with it.
>
> Mick

Some of the tick marks which are prevalent today are disgusting.
I think it's a good idea but they will have to be very careful.
We once took a Karcher washer and a small generator to Bridestones. We got a lot of the chalk off but if you got too close to the holds with the jet it got under the hard patina and blasted big chunks off.

Enty
 Michael Ryan 01 Apr 2009
In reply to Ian McNeill:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> I spot your jooke and you delete my Ha Ha .... how sad ...

Not me Ian. I was suckered in.

Enty 01 Apr 2009

Shit. I thought the Holdz etching was ott but didn't click....

Enty
 hwackerhage 01 Apr 2009

I think it might be good to bolt all the grit routes as sport climbers generally use less chalk because sport climbing is safer.
 grant727 01 Apr 2009
In reply to hwackerhage: and for the harder climbs maybe bolt on some plastic holds??????
 Michael Ryan 01 Apr 2009
In reply to zoobizooretta:

Swiss even clean their mountains!
by Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com 01/Apr/2009
This news story has been read 920 times

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=46744
 zoobizooretta 01 Apr 2009

oh aye... i've been onsite all day so not been looking... DOH!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...