Water Filtration

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 15 Feb 2009
Can anyone recommend please? Need one to be small and lightweight. Would appreciate any advice/suggestions.
 Al Evans 15 Feb 2009
In reply to mypyrex: rrrrrrdf ,o;'hgjhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Sorry that was Freddy's reply, more seriously I think your two threads should be amalgamated, the old perceptions were that a lot of the stomach problems in the Himalaya were caused by two things, one being the low boiling point of water being unable to kill the giardi(sp) bugs, the other that minute particles of Micah were in the water.
This is obviously miles out of date, I am sure the Army mountaineers will have better solution to this now, we used to use filtration and Iodine, and while in Kathmandu drink only guaranteed bottled water, but even then, even in some of the top hotels, an ice cube in your gin and tonic could do the damage.
I expect Mark Stephenson will come back and sort out the modern thinking, Mark?
Al
Removed User 15 Feb 2009
In reply to mypyrex:

Used these type in Turkey a few years ago.
http://www.mapsworldwide.com/sku_16161.htm

Takes a bit of time depending on volume required, but worked well.
OP mypyrex 15 Feb 2009
In reply to Removed UserAl and abzmed: Thanks for that. I'm probably getting too worked up. It's just that I'm going into the Ariege region this summer and the guide books suggest that some of the water sources are dubious. I normally use puritabs but I wondered whether to get a filter as an extra precaution.
 winhill 15 Feb 2009
In reply to mypyrex:

unless the water is visibly very contaminated you're unlikely to get much more effective sterilisation with a filter than with puritabs. It just makes it more attractive to look at.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...