UKC

NEWS: UKC/FRA/OMM Mountain Rescue Donations approach £10,000

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 05 Nov 2008
It's not just Barack Obama who can raise money to fund good causes using the internet. Individuals from the Original Mountain Marathon, Fell Runner Association and UKClimbing.com, motivated by Nick - South Wales (UKC profile) have raised nearly £10,000 so far for Mountain Rescue Teams in the Lakes.

Richard Warren of the Lake District Search & Mountain Rescue Association reckons that £12,000 is feasible.

Rob Stone reports: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=11&year=2008#n45426

Banned User 77 05 Nov 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: And the FRA forum.

Poor to see the BBC twist the gesture as a thank you to the rescue teams who saved 1000's of runners.
 lithos 05 Nov 2008
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) And the FRA forum.

good call Ian - my bad - just hoped to bump it to se if we can hit the 12K

Wrongfoot 05 Nov 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Great News. However it is made very bittersweet by the misreporting and the hijacking of our generosity - suggesting this is guilt related, or that 100s of 1000s was spent on rescuing runners etc.

Personally I donated the fee which would have been due to Mr Weir should I ever visit his via ferrata to the MRTs instead. I'm glad he helped out but felt that he had gained quite enough benefit (publicity) from the events of that weekend already. ]
 Simon Caldwell 06 Nov 2008

And outdoorsmagic.com - where despite the stereotypes sometimes bandied about on UKC, there seems to have been a refreshing absence of the "they really should have cancelled" brigade.

In reply to Toreador:

I see one of the few who was rescued has donated £500 on Justgiving. Very generous.
 thin bob 06 Nov 2008
grauniad, reply from Andy Marr
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/nov/05/original-mountain-marat...
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: It's been a great response, and we've had very positive reactions from members of the rescue teams as well. It sounds like some of the money might go to swift water rescue training for some teams. The BBC have twisted it as Iain mentioned, although this has meant that the link has been going around on a few news sites.

This kitty is minus the OMM prize money which will be going to the rescue teams as well.
 sutty 06 Nov 2008
In reply to thin bob:

I read the original and found the article was not the only thing they got wrong;

>This article was amended on Tuesday October 28 2008. The map of the Lake District that originally accompanied this article had Seatoller and Gatesgarth Farm in the wrong locations. The map has been removed.

Ho hum, how crap is the press.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...