UKC

MARMOT CLIP COMP (16): A long relationship with the Virgin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 22 Oct 2008
The Marmot "On Sight" Film Clip Competition

A long relationship with the Virgin by Francis Holland.

We presume that this is the Virgin traverse at Almscliff in North Yorkshire. In fact it is. Francis does say who the climber is, Ian, but what is this climber's relationship with this traverse? We just have to guess I suppose, unless Francis decides to explain or expand on the thread associated with this article/video. Maybe something to do with 21 years!

He did however provide us with this caption which goes some way to explain the context of this video clip,

"Ian spent 21 with a Virgin, more than most men can stand! However after a long relationship did he pop the cherry?"

You can watch here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1299

There are more than £1,000 worth of MARMOT prizes on offer

CLOSING DATE FOR ENTRIES IS OCTOBER 31st

What You Have To Do?

Film or have filmed a short climbing or mountaineering clip, it could be of your mate leading or even a short piece acted by a whole troupe of climbers, the brief is wide open, it could be a clip of beautiful mountain scene with an environmental theme, the ascent of a boulder problem, a fall, or a funny sketch. It's up to you, but it must be your own work.

Full details here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1202
 Andrew.Davies 23 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Wow, what was the song.
In reply to napalm_life:

Eric Clapton - Mean old Frisco.
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Ian has spent the last 21 years trying this problem on & off, working the moves and training in his legendary shed in Pool. I think that credit is due to those who work and persist at a problem until they get the tick.

On completing the traverse he mentioned it to Silent Pete, remarkably to Ian's astonishment SP had spent 23 years on Demon Wall Roof. So it goes to show that there is a level of dedication out there, and if you doubt that just take a look under the roof of Underhand, you'll find a Moose there that's been there for at least a year.
 Will Hunt 24 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
I just cant seem to get my head round the virgin traverse. I'm sure it only feels Font 6b+ when you do it right. Well done for making it look easy.

Once saw a guy manage Hart's Arete after, I think, 7 years. Got it in about 2 trys once I'd told him the right sequence!
 andi turner 24 Oct 2008
In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.:

I hope this is the same SP I know. He does laps on Western Front after a sixth month layoff!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...