UKC

NEWS: E10 at No.10 .. BMC and Representatives at Downing Street

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 10 Oct 2008
John Mann, MP for Bassetlaw, told outdoor journalists and the BMC at a press briefing at the House of Commons that it is extremely rare for the governing body of a sport and representatives of that sport to be invited by the Prime Minister to a reception at No.10 Downing Street. It is an honour usually given to Olympic athletes and teams that have won international events.

There were several reasons for the invite John Mann explained.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=10&year=2008#n45367
 Bulls Crack 10 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Are there any ashtrays/notelets/pens left?
 JLS 10 Oct 2008

>"Leo did emphasise the fact UK Sport have ceased funding for expeditions pointing out that this cost is small but that it is money well spent."

He would say that!

I'm not sure I agree that public money should be spent on 'expeditions'.

I know it is pretty much the same thing as grants to our Olympic athletes which I'm all for as I think the nation gets something out of seeing GB win gold medals but public sponsorship of modern day climbing just doesn't feel right.

If Leo wants to go on a trip he should seek-out corporate sponsorship or finance it by making an exciting film about it, he shouldn't expect Joe Blogs to pay for his holidays.
OP Michael Ryan 10 Oct 2008
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)

> If Leo wants to go on a trip he should seek-out corporate sponsorship or finance it by making an exciting film about it, he shouldn't expect Joe Blogs to pay for his holidays.

He doesn't expect Joe Blogs to pay. He does finance through sponsorship and films.

Expedition funding is for people who may not have the same 'commercial' opportunities as Leo.

The climbing and mountaineering community is a broad church and I am sure that any public funding has and would be spread around those broad interests.
 JLS 10 Oct 2008

>"Leo Houlding then described his climbing life..."
 Richard Hall 10 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: All seems very positive but I thought the BMCs stance was that they did not actively encourage participation. (?)
 JMarkW 11 Oct 2008

Blimey the Brits really do have bad teeth.
 Paul Robertson 11 Oct 2008
And where was Gordon?...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article4923087.ece
 EllenW 12 Oct 2008
"encouraging youngsters to take up climbing by helping schools build climbing walls"

The head teacher at our primary school had a traversing wall put up.

Money towards a bendcrete, rockworks or entre-prises boulder would be brilliant, especially since apparently it's ok to let the kids climb and jump off stuff now, shock horror : )

Does anyone know of a school that's got an artificial (or real) boulder?
 PDL 12 Oct 2008
Did anyone pop a word in the sports ministers ear about Wilton? Tip of the iceberg and all that.
 steve taylor 13 Oct 2008
In reply to PDL:

The purchase of one of the Wilton quarries (forget which) was formally announced at No. 10
 PDL 13 Oct 2008
In reply to steve taylor:
Wilton One
 the sheep 13 Oct 2008

"John Mann gave the example of Braunstone Leisure Centre, in Leicester, that had a climbing structure added almost as an afterthought but which turned out to be the most popular facility at the centre, and for relatively little cost."

Im sure this would have been a wonderful example had there been a climbing wall at said leisure centre. In fact the climbing wall is at Leicester Leys leisure centre.
OP Michael Ryan 13 Oct 2008
In reply to the sheep:

Apparently it is a climbing structure. The point being that kids love climbing whether that be up trees, on a climbing frame or a purpose built wall.
 the sheep 13 Oct 2008
No doubt at all that kids love that kind of thing. I was just pointing out there is no climbing structure at Braunstone Leisure Centre.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...