beetroot recipes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 23 Sep 2008
I've just sent A a recipe for beetroot risotto (the one from the Cranks Bible that looks ace but which i've still not made) and a couple of others involving roast beetroot, but as it's something I've not cooked before, I've drawn a bit of a blank for other options, even after a rummage throuhg recipe books.

what else to do with beetroot?

(n.b. all suggestions are, for preference, to be edible)

ta!
 Flicka 23 Sep 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

Curry them? My mum used to make a lovely indian beetroot dish...
 Flicka 23 Sep 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

Or you could go raw and have carrot and beetroot salad. Process the beetroot and carrot, add pinenuts and raisins and some tamari as an optional extra et voila...
 leeangell 23 Sep 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

Beetroot chutney is nice.
 DougG 23 Sep 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

How about Borshcht?

Quick Google ought to throw up some recipes.
 Ridge 23 Sep 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

Beetroot soup is nice, although grating them made the kitchen look like an abbatoir.
OP Tall Clare 23 Sep 2008
In reply to DougG:

oo, good call - (excuse the idiocy but is borscht a sort of soup?)
In reply to leeangell:

oo yes.
 DougG 23 Sep 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

Aye, had it in Russia, can be very nice.
In reply to Flicka:

curried beetroot? that sounds very intriguing.
In reply to Ridge:

guffaw!
Slugain Howff 23 Sep 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

http://www.channel4.com/food/browse.jsp?siteName=food&keyValues=vegetab...

20 recipes from channel4

Slugain the Borscht man
In reply to Tall Clare:

Tip

If you do cook the delicious borscht soup. Lock away all white napkins, shirts,tablecloths etc
 DougG 23 Sep 2008
In reply to Slugain Howff:

brilliant - and there's even a smoked salmon and beetroot salad recipe for A-who-is-addicted-to-smoked-salmon.

hurrah!
 DougG 23 Sep 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

Does he like Gravad Lax?
 DougG 23 Sep 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

Oooh, and while we're on the subject of smoked fish, every now and again we get a box of goodies (smoked salmon, smoked trout, pates and stuff) from these people.

http://www.hebrideansmokehouse.com
 Ridge 23 Sep 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to DougG)
>
> oo, good call - (excuse the idiocy but is borscht a sort of soup?)

I use this:

Peel and grate 500g of small beetroot. Shred any leaves or stalks.

Fry 1 chopped onion and 1 chopped garlic clove in olive oil (should really be lard..). When browned stir in the shredded beetroot, 1 diced carrot, 1 diced turnip and stir for a couple of minutes.

Add 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock and a bay leaf. Bring to boil and simmer 10 mins.

Add 2 medium spuds, peeled and diced (plus optional 250g boiling sausage - I don't bother). Simmer until spuds are soft (15 mins?)

Stir in shredded beetroot leaves and stalks, bring back to the boil add 1 tsp sugar and 1 tbsp vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 5 to 10 mins

Serve with black bread, radishes and pickled cucumber, together with soured cream.
 DougG 23 Sep 2008
In reply to Ridge:

Ooooh that sounds damned nice! Soured cream's a must with it, aye.

Had this other type of soup in Russia, solyanka it was called, also delicious.
evs1066 23 Sep 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

You can make soupe and eat it cold ot warm. Just remember that you've eaten it when you take a dump or you could have an heart attack when you look in the pan.
In reply to evs1066:

Is that ye olde soupe?

Slugain
 practicalcat 23 Sep 2008
In reply to DougG:
great link! Think that might be at least one Christmas present sorted...
 DougG 23 Sep 2008
In reply to practicalcat:

Can thoroughly recommend them!
 Scott K 23 Sep 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:
Pickled beetroot-brilliant with stovies and oatcakes and in salads.
Beetroot jelly.
Beetroot dauphinoise-cooked like potato dauphinoise with cream and a touch of garlic.
Roasted root vegetables with honey-add the beetroot and roast.
 TN 23 Sep 2008
In reply to Scott K:

I recently saw a recipe for chocolate cake that included beetroot, but I can't remember where. Sounded intriguing though... And it looked gorgeous!
 Dominion 23 Sep 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

Finely sliced, cooked, beetroot soaked in vinegar - add black-pepper, with quick-fried mustard seeds doused on top.

As part of a salad.

ranger*goy 23 Sep 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

Has to be beetroot crisps. I havent made them myself but I love the ones I have bought.
In reply to Dominion:

isn't vinegar supposed to be the laziest thing a person can do to a beetroot?
 TN 23 Sep 2008
In reply to DougG:

I thought so at first but it can't be that different to using carrot in cakes really.
 Tiggs 23 Sep 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

Wear rubber gloves when preparing.

I love beetroot.
 Mooncat 23 Sep 2008
In reply to TN:

My ex used to make chocolate cake with grated courgette in, I'll try and find the recipe.
 ranger*goy 23 Sep 2008
In reply to TN:

And courgette cakes too.
 Mooncat 23 Sep 2008
In reply to ranger*goy:
> (In reply to TN)
>
> And courgette cakes too.

As if by magic.

http://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/recipe_pdf_version.php?recipeid=414&...

ranger*goy 23 Sep 2008
In reply to Mooncat:

I just found that link too!
 Pids 23 Sep 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

I have a glut of them in the garden - try these recipes, sorry if they have already been mentioned :-

Ingredients
450g beetroot
4 shallots
1 clove garlic
lemongrass
ginger
kaffir lime leaves
salt (as desired)
1 tin coconut milk

Method
Roast the beetroot with the shallots, the garlic, the lemongrass and the ginger. Put the roasted beetroot and the other ingredients including the salt and kaffir lime leaves into the pan with some oil (use a light oil). Once you can smell the flavours coming out, pour 1.7 lire of vegetable stock over the top, until it covers the beetroot. Bring the pan to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Transfer the mixture to the food processor and add the coconut milk (as much or as little as you like). Serve with flat bread (or some cabbage to counter the spice).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ingredients:
1. 2-3 beet roots, medium sized
2. one medium sized onion
3. cumin seeds
4. mustard seeds
5. grated coconunt (desicatted)
6. sabzi masala

Items 3-6 are avaialble in Indian grocery market.

1. Peel the beetroots and grate them. peel onion, cut into small pieces or chop it.
2. Heat a frying pan, add 1teaspoon of olive oil or veggie oil and warm it.
3. when the oil is warm add, 1/2 tsp of mustard and cumin seeds and allow them to splatter.(take care the oil should be neither too hot that the seeds pop out nor lukewarm that the seeds are not fried instantly).
4. Add onions and fry them while mixing till they become golden brown.
5. Add 1-2 tsp of the sabzi masala and 1tsp of grated coconut to the pan and fry it gently in low-flame for about 15 seconds.
6. Add the grated beet roots and fry them for 2 min.
7. When the beet root starts sticking to the pan (remember this is not a deep-frying as the oil previously added was just 1 tsp- to minimise the effective fat- ) sprinkle some water and close the lid of the pan and cook at medium- low flame
8. Open the lid every 3-5 min, check if the water is enough , add if it less and fry till the veg is cooked peoperly and is of the required consistency.
9. Add salt to taste.
10. Optional: garnish with fresh coriander leaves (available in indian store), if required
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

900g raw beetroot
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
1 whole dried chilli
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
800g tin of tomatoes
200g button mushrooms, cut in half
Cut the leaves and stalks off the beetroot, peel and cut into roughly 2cm cubes.

Heat the oil in a medium sized pan, with a lid. Once it’s hot, add the cumin seeds and chilli, stir once and add the garlic. Stir for about 10 seconds and then add the turmeric. Stir once and add the tomatoes (with juice) straight away. At this point the mixture will hiss and spit. Just put the lid on and wait for it to calm down.

Add the beetroot and mushrooms and then season with salt. Bring to a simmer. Then turn the heat to low, cover and simmer gently for about 45 mins – 1 hour, or until the beetroot is tender.

1. Peel the beetroot and cut them into wedges. A medium-sized beetroot, about 5cm in length, should, for example, be cut into 6 wedges.

2. Put the oil in a medium-sized pan and set over a medium heat. When hot, put in the cumin seeds. Let them sizzle for 5 seconds. Put in the garlic. Stir and fry until the garlic pieces turn golden. Put in the onions. Stir and fry for 2 minutes. Put in the flour and cayenne. Stir and fry for a minute. Now put in the beetroot, the tomatoes, salt and water. Bring to a simmer. Cover, turn the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes or until the beetroot are tender. Remove lid, turn up heat to medium, and cook uncovered for about 7 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly.

3. This dish may be made ahead of time and reheated.

Enjoy.

In reply to Pids:

oh wow! they all sound great!
Yrmenlaf 23 Sep 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

There are two things I will not eat. One of them is beetroot.

In my missspent youth, I spent a fortnight labouring in a Russian Orthodox monastery in Eastern Finland. With typical fresight, I chose the fortnight they were fasting.

So I came back from my eight hours lumberjacking, and was offered thin, watery beetroot soup. Fortunately it was so thin and watery it tasted of not-a-lot, so I managed.

Y.
Bingly Bong 23 Sep 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

I have no idea...

I *LOVE* fresh beetroot and it never lasts long enough for me to do anything other than eat it straight from cooking...
 Dominion 25 Sep 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

> isn't vinegar supposed to be the laziest thing a person can do to a beetroot?

So? I can be lazy if it tastes nice...
OP Tall Clare 25 Sep 2008
In reply to Dominion:

good point!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...