UKC

NEWS: All the Alpine 4,000m

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 02 Sep 2008
Diego Giovannini and Franco 'Franzo' Nicolini have recently completed the first non-mechanized link up of all 82 Alpine 4,000m summits that appear on the UIAA's official list.

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=09&year=2008#n45289
 Jon Griffith 02 Sep 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Imagine how fit and acclimatized you'd be after that! Very impressive in such a short space of time, well done to them.
 DougG 02 Sep 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Wow that's impressive.

I think Martin Moran and Simon Jenkins did 75 summits in 1993?
 Doug 02 Sep 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Anyone know what extra summits they climbed compared to Simon Jenkins and Martin Moran in their traverse (completed just a little before the 'official' list was published)?
In reply to Jon Griffith:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC) Imagine how fit and acclimatized you'd be after that! Very impressive in such a short space of time, well done to them.

Shared a beer with Diego in at Matteo's campsite in Val Veny just after they he and Franz had come back from the Jorasses, and he was much less tired than I do after a day of desk work... impressive doesn't even begin to describe it.

Very self effacing, modest chap too.
 Paul Bowen 02 Sep 2008
In reply to Luca Signorelli:
> (In reply to Jon Griffith)
> [...]
>
> Shared a beer with Diego in at Matteo's campsite in Val Veny just after they he and Franz had come back from the Jorasses, and he was much less tired than I do after a day of desk work... impressive doesn't even begin to describe it.
>
> Very self effacing, modest chap too.

Spent 5 days with Franco in june 2002 around his home in Molveno, very nice guy didn't speak much english and my italian was worse but we got along just fine... He'd just got back from doing everest without oxygen and the Choyoyu sprint which is a race to the summit then ski down, he was incredibly fit. Met him in the Pedrotti hut the following year and he took us up the Campanillo Basso preuss route.. pass on my congratulations if you see him..
Paul Bowen

Alex Roddie 02 Sep 2008
That's pretty damn amazing!

Here's a question ... is it easier or harder in terms of physical effort than a continuous, self-powered round of the Munros in winter? Obviously it will be technically a lot harder, but it would be interesting to see some figures in terms of total height climbed and distance walked.
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Inspiring Effort!
 GrahamD 02 Sep 2008
In reply to Doug:
> Anyone know what extra summits they climbed compared to Simon Jenkins and Martin Moran in their traverse (completed just a little before the 'official' list was published)?

It would be interesting to know. Having seen Martin's slide show / talk on the subject I'm surprised how few repeats its had.
 Bulls Crack 02 Sep 2008

Would that be ground-up or worked?
 robdan 03 Sep 2008
In reply to Doug: The only ones Moran and Jenkins did not climb were
- Grand Pilier d'Angle
- Corne du Diable
- Punta Giordani

They climbed others that are now are in the 82 classification ie subsidiary tops but didn't count them in their 75 eg Stecknadelhorn, MB de Courmayer.

cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...