NEW REVIEW: Scottish Rock Volume 1, by Gary Latter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 18 Aug 2008
"The first thing that strikes you about this guide book is that it's like a parody of Scotland itself – It's massive, there's absolutely loads to do, and there are little gems all over the place. I'm afraid I'm a true Sassenach when it comes to Scottish rock climbing. Like the skipper in Black Adder, I set forth with great intentions and (where he fails to get further than the Isle of Wight) I always seem to end up in Reiff or Northumberland (sorry)! But no longer!"

Writes Martin Chester about Gary Latter's new Magnum Opus - Scottish Rock.

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1172
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 18 Aug 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

The book is superb. It took Gary 12 years to climb and carefully research Volume One to produce a fantastic selection of the best climbs across the area. What I like about it is that the harder grades are just a well represented as the classic easy routes. 1600 routes. If you start off with all the Diffs you should get stronger as you work through to the top E grades!

Bizarrely Gary has only needed two months to produce the second equally stunning volume which is due out at the end of September!

Buy them both!
 Stuart S 18 Aug 2008
In reply to Steve Crowe:

Totally agree about the quality of the guide, and about the reviewer's sudden urge to visit Erraid in particular.

I'm going to be laid up after knee surgery for half of September, so I'm now hoping to get hold of Vol 2 in time to keep me distracted from daytime tv!
 AlH 18 Aug 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: I'll third this - its a great guide and while I'm in no way knocking the compendious definitive SMC guides this feels like a step forward for rock climbing guides north of the border. I've been out to Erraid (been meaning to go for a couple of years but how could I not go the day after getting this guide and seeing the pictures - http://alanhalewood.blogspot.com/2008/07/erraid-wednesday.html ). Its also inspired me to visit bits of rock here in Glencoe that I'd never got round to and will hopefully begin to see some trafic. Roll on Vol 2.

Al
PS No midges on Erraid Martin, just a gentle sea breeze and some skinny dipping ladies!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...