UKC

NEWS: Prime Minister summons Alan James and Mick Ryan to no. 10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 15 Aug 2008
Was an everyday morning here in Ambleside, still raining of course. I get up, check emails, check my news feeds and write my list of things to do for the day. Downstairs and put the kettle on for a nice cup of PG Tips and check the mail.

What's this small white envelope? Doesn't look like a bill.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=08&year=2008#n45259
 Nigel Modern 15 Aug 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: You mean you've only just got your invitation? :O)
 Nevis-the-cat 15 Aug 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

What do you reckon you could nab?

I hear Humphrey is now stuffed and mounted in the hallway - easy pickings.

alternatively, you could do a Tetrapack and skin up in the back garden.
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Well done, and to those who've made it happen. Why not give the PM a chalk bag in case his hands get sweaty at the dispatch box?*

T.
* no, that's not a euphemism.
Clauso 15 Aug 2008

Do me a favour and ask Gordy what his favourite owl is. He has failed to reply to any of my many emails on the subject. This is symptomatic of the decline in our once great nation.

P.S. Tony Blair confessed a fondness for snowy owls. You know where you stand with Blair.
 Skinny Kin 15 Aug 2008

They may be putting a mobile climbing tower in No. 10? Superb! Get Gordon to have a go. I'd love to see a picture of him doing that.

I remembered talking a friend from Edinburgh whilst bouldering in Salisbury Crag in town. Only had the Queen climbed, then we could all climb again on the crag.

So has Gordon invited the Queen as well for a spot of climbing? She's only 82 or something. I'm sure she could still try some VDiffs.
 Nigel Modern 15 Aug 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Well done guys and err...is he going to talk to the Chinese about Everest...or even Tibet in general?
 Pids 15 Aug 2008

Cool - ask him if he misses the climbing at Rosyth Quarry (backs onto his back garden) or if he preferred Aberdour (he can just about see it from his house) - or now that the access is sorted if he prefers the climbing at Limekilns ?
 Chris Harris 15 Aug 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Don't forget to ask him what grade he thinks TPS is.
 GrahamD 15 Aug 2008

Ask him about how he thinks the right to roam is going (Vixen Tor) or how seriously he takes the natural environment (Longstone).
Tim Chappell 15 Aug 2008
Bend his ear about

1) Access
2) Bulldozer tracks in the hills
3) Pillocks doing off-road driving/ motocross
4) Global warming
5) His mad plans to build more houses than you can shake a stick at on the English countryside
 tommyzero 15 Aug 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Mick my invite hasn't seemed to arrived yet. I'm getting a bit concerned now. Give number 10 a bell for me would you?

Hang on.. ah ha Mick. I claim my £5 you crafty old troll you!
 Ian McNeill 15 Aug 2008

This should be a Premier post !
 NickD 15 Aug 2008
Say Hi to Prime Minister Milliband from us all.
 Chris the Tall 15 Aug 2008
Will you be wearing a concealed camera and web-streaming the meeting live on UKC ? After all, there is no place in the modern world for meetings to be held behind closed doors
 Nigel Modern 15 Aug 2008
In reply to Chris the Tall: Can't we just hack into the MI5 feed?
 Tall Clare 15 Aug 2008

PG Tips? why don't you drink Yorkshire Tea?

turncoat!
 Tall Clare 15 Aug 2008

and who's going to be babysitting this place whilst you people are out?
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> and who's going to be babysitting this place whilst you people are out?

Oh go on - I'll moderate the forums for an afternoon.
 SCC 15 Aug 2008
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:

Lunatics, Asylum, Taking Over, The.

Rearrange as you see fit.

Si

PS - I'd vote for ya.
 TobyA 15 Aug 2008
In reply to NickD:
> Say Hi to Prime Minister Milliband from us all.

Was drinking with some female local staff from the UK embassy the other night. They had recently spent a couple of days with Miliband and he is "complete dream boat" and lovely remembering all the womens' names and clearly just being a bit of a charmer!
 Rob Naylor 15 Aug 2008
In reply to TobyA:

Sounds like a smarmy, superficial Blair re-tread, then?
 cander 15 Aug 2008
In reply to Rob Naylor: Nah thats Dave Cameron
 sutty 15 Aug 2008
In reply to TobyA:

Surprised to hear Edwina Currie say the same, personally cannot stand the man. Smarm all over and no substance.
 digby 15 Aug 2008

He's going to hand over the legendary Camalot 4, Camalot 5, BD microstopper 5 and slings.
 TobyA 15 Aug 2008
In reply to Rob Naylor: You're just jealous as pretty, foreign ladies don't swoon over you!
 Nevis-the-cat 15 Aug 2008
In reply to TobyA:

Reading a good book on Doping in Cycling at the mo.

It starts with the author relating a tale of him playing football in 93 wit the young upstarts in the gfledgling New Labour. THe team were called Red Dawn.

The author goes for the ball and crumples to a heap, his legs folded beneath him. Tom Dobson runs over and as the author screams in pain tells the rest of the lads to "turn him on his side so he can see the sunset".

Love that gallows humour.

apparently, Milliband playing that day is a handy footballer, although a bit handy and is decribed as a pretty decent guy.

Michael 15 Aug 2008
Are you going to wear a suit and tie? Come on Mick tell us how you are going to dress for the occasion?
 IainWhitehouse 15 Aug 2008
In reply to Michael: I reckon they'll all be dressing smarter than is cutomary. The invitation says "Dress: Smart" in very small type in the bottom corner*

*I don't have one but was just shown one as a result of this thread.

OP Michael Ryan 15 Aug 2008
In reply to Michael:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)

> Are you going to wear a suit and tie?

Yes, of course.
Ackbar 15 Aug 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: So what are you going to tell him/ask him? How about taking the top 3 questions from UKC users. Only problem is that I can't really think of anything worth asking (except for the TPS question already mentioned). I guess it's all going to be about access issues.
In reply to Ackbar: Needn't be just about access. Could also be about conservation, and the questions might not all be one way (though if not, they'd be most appropriately directed at BMC reps attending).

If you take UKC as being the closest we come to a forum where ordinary, as opposed to elite, climbers (in the broadest sense of the word; boulderers through to mountaineers, has-beens, never weres and might just be yet's) can collect their opinions and agree (hah!) what three points they'd like to make to the PM, what would those points be? Any thoughts?

T.
 Henry Iddon 15 Aug 2008

Good range at Oxfam in Ambleside
 Al Evans 16 Aug 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Rats, my invitation has still not arrived which means I will be unable to make it. I bet if it was Tony I would have got one
 Dave C 16 Aug 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Somebody seems to have had a bit of a hissy-fit!

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,9727.0.html

Al Evans 16 Aug 2008
In reply to Dave C: Hmmmm! I must know John, whether I agree or not, I can at least see where he is coming from.
 icnoble 16 Aug 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: While you are there you could ask him when he is going to stop robbing our pension funds.
martin k 16 Aug 2008
In reply to Al Evans: Bit of a rant, isn't it? Does sitting under a boulder with the legendary Black Nick give John Whatsit the right to misrepresent the facts? I think he should have read the BMC news a little more carefully before venting his spleen!

Where is he coming from, anyway?
 Al Evans 16 Aug 2008
In reply to martin k: Politics and climbing, if you'd known Nick in those days you'd never have thought it possible, not that I'm saying its wrong that we have a voice.
morphus 16 Aug 2008
In reply to martin k:
>
> Where is he coming from, anyway?

he's one of us http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?id=24191

or maybe not?
www.think.ws/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...