UKC

NEWS: Llanberis Mountain Rescue Helicopter - Rescued!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 08 Jul 2008
During a joint operation between the RAF and the Llanberis Mountain Rescue Team to rescue a walker with abdominal injuries, the RAF SeaKing helicopter supporting the rescue team broke down on the Landing Zone in Nant Peris, where it stayed for two days until it was eventually airlifted by Chinook back to RAF Valley for repair.

The rescue team resorted to man power, they climbed up and over the summit of Snowdon to rescue the walker. The team then carried the man back over the summit and down to the Half Way House, by which time the RAF had another aircraft on scene, and airlifted him to the nearby hospital Ysbyty Gwynedd.

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=07&year=2008#n45150
 FedUp 08 Jul 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Good effort. If all else fails it just boils down to brute strength, training and fitness, of which the team have just proven they have in spades.
OP Jack Geldard 08 Jul 2008
In reply to FedUp: Agreed. I've done a little bit of 'stretcher practice' and it is bloody desperate work.

Well done to the team.

Jack
Simon Panton not registered 08 Jul 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: I've just been reading The BFG (Big Friendly Giant) by Roald Dahl to my kids and without giving away too much of the plot, there is a scene where some 50ft high giants are lifted up by helicopters. Reading it I was thinking that the boundaries of reality were being stretched for the sake of a good story, but looking at that film I can see that Roald Dahl really knew his helicopters.

Fair play, there's some power in that big chopper!
 Trangia 08 Jul 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

The yellow Sea King is big. I hadn't realised just how big until I saw it against the Chinnock, they are almost the same size.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...