UKC

NEWS: New and Renewing Advertisers at UKClimbing.com: Thank You

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 24 Jun 2008
 Offwidth 24 Jun 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Impressive but climbers being climbers many more read magazines than buy them and those of us afflicted UKC regulars, use many different PC's over the year to access here, which would count as mulitiple personalities. If I was you I'd say "we may well be" rather than "we are".
OP Michael Ryan 24 Jun 2008
In reply to Offwidth:

Yes I know all that.

No, it's we are, by a long shot.

> Registered users stand at 46,694 as of today.

That's interesting, because we were wondering about the number of users a couple of weeks ago. By a simple process of binary search on user ID, I got to the latest registered user (12/06/08 19:19) as 82506. Which means there are nearly 36,000 'dead' users...
 Lemony 24 Jun 2008
In reply to captain paranoia:
> Which means there are nearly 36,000 'dead' users...

Clearly climbing really is a dangerous sport.
James Jackson 24 Jun 2008
In reply to captain paranoia:

You are, of course, assuming that user IDs are sequential.
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: And it makes me proud to be a part of it.
 antwan 24 Jun 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Thanks Mick, And i Quick thank you to you too for having such a good ranking that has in turn helped my own littl e fledgling site reach its record number of unique visits this month exceeding 250 and the month is not over yet!

And i was looking out for you on sunday when i was mooching round a very wet Ambleside!

All hail UKC!
UKC is Good.
UKC is Great.

serously though. Good to know it's thriving and cheers for the service. Are you sure me getting banned and unbanned doesn't count as new users registering though? This could account for around 30,000 of them?
Orange House Climbing 24 Jun 2008

I guess we don´t spend enough money with you guys to get a mention?

Sam Orange :0P

In reply to James Jackson:

> You are, of course, assuming that user IDs are sequential.

True, but I think that it's almost certain that IDs are assigned sequentially. Certainly, when I was doing my search, they came to an abrupt end.

I can't see that anyone other than strange would do anything otherwise; a pseudo-random assignment based on a polynomial LFSR might be used, but to no real purpose...

What it means is that 36,000 users have been and gone. For whatever reasons.
 Offwidth 26 Jun 2008

"Yes I know all that. No, it's we are, by a long shot."

I'll give you some examples of why you might be wrong. You are not actually 100% certain as no one can be. Plus, just to make sure people dont get the wrong impression about my motives in this: UKC is my favourite climbing media by a big margin.

Tens of thousands of climbers go to my local wall annually and of the minority (but still a very big number) who browse mags in the cafe or that are for sale, very few actually buy.

I and most of my climbing friends used to look through every climbing mag that came out (and buy the few that looked good). Even now Id say I look at most issues (and haven't bought a mag for a few years)

A climbing magazine is a periodical, your site runs continuously. You are not comparing like with like.

Many magazines now come with web sites that should be added to the stats.

OP Michael Ryan 26 Jun 2008
In reply to Offwidth:

Anecdotal observation have there uses but also limitations.

Without full and public disclosure from a media, conclusions are hard to make, especially as regards 'readership' which is calculated in various ways and multiplied by a figure ranging from 1.75 to 4.

Honesty is only possible if you have a third party reporting and auditing and importantly that those figures are open to discussion. Ours are, we have nothing to hide. We want to give full value to everyone, in fact we are passionate about it.

Magazine websites, both print and online, are easy to track comparatively at http://www.alexa.com/

And yes we are comparing like for like, just a different method of delivery of content.... you are correct about availability however!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...