ARTICLE & REVIEW: Helmets by Tom Ripley & Dan Middleton

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 19 Jun 2008
An in depth look at helmets; how they are tested, what models are available and what they are designed for. With info from the BMC and UKC gear testers.

Dan Middleton BMC: "do the shake test by wobbling your head around like an overexcited heavy metal fan..."

Tom Ripley: "Alpinists, mountaineers and winter climbers all wear helmets; no surprise really as large hunks of rock and ice regularly home in on their craniums with the speed and precision of a cruise missile..."

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1091
 Monk 19 Jun 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Well done guys, I thought that was a really good article with some very useful reviews. Thanks.
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: good to see this topic given more air-time than it deserves. There we go- if you want to buy a helmet, there's plenty info there. If not, then don't. But let us never speak of Helmets again.
 Wee Davie 19 Jun 2008

I Have a Grivel Salamander helmet that I always wear for Trad, Sport and Winter climbing.
Prior to that I had an Ecrin Roc and an HB helmet.

Pros- it's light, it is easy to adjust, it's comfortable, it has very good headtorch attachment points, it doesn't make you look too much of a fud (maybe that is debatable).

Cons- the build quality is very poor/ crap. The plastic rivet holding the adjuster wheel broke on mine necessitating a repair using finger tape. If you have a look at one you will se how flimsy that design is.
The expanded foam on the inside top of the helmet also came adrift and I had to repair that too.

If I'd still had the receipt I would have returned it. It is a nice helmet from new- but I have never had to repair a helmet before, so I couldn't recommend it really.

Davie
 TobyA 19 Jun 2008
In reply to Franco Cookson: Franco, don't be such a wally. Remember, with Google cache people will be able to find all in 15 years still.

Good article guys!
 Simon Caldwell 20 Jun 2008
In reply to Franco Cookson:
> if you want to buy a helmet, there's plenty info there. If not, then don't. But let us never speak of Helmets again.

if you want to climb on the North York Moors, there's plenty of info there. If not, then don't. But let us never speak of the North York Moors again.

Still got my old Ultimate (GRP) pressure cooker -- It may be heavy, uncomfortable, and anything but cool, but at least keeps your head dry when it's p155ing down.
 @ndyM@rsh@ll 20 Jun 2008

"Next you are peeling off backwards and that rope running so innocently behind your legs catches, causing you to invert, crunch - darkness. Later you awake in hospital, where you are coolly informed that you will never walk again. Why risk losing everything for the sake of £60 and an unnoticeable piece of polystyrene?"

Surely never walking again results from the broken neck/back which occurs regardless of helmet.

Not saying that they'r useless, just wont prevent THAT.
In reply to Toreador: what you on about? Moors is good rock. Infact I have made a discovery, that others have also evidently made, that may be to your liking. Feel free to get in touch if you fancy some inside info.
 Michael Ryan 20 Jun 2008
In reply to Franco Cookson:

Change to another thread please.
 idiotproof 20 Jun 2008
In reply to @ndyM@rsh@ll:

not neccesarily, more likely I admit but a head trauma can result in never walking again.
 SonyaD 20 Jun 2008
In reply to Wee Davie: Any chance you just ended up with a duff helmet? Not much good being light and comfy, if it falls to pieces!

I've still got my Ecrin one, used for winter, crags and sport and I don't care if it makes me look like a twunt, it does it's job. I guess it can be a bitty uncomfy at times but once I start climbing I'm not really thinking about the helmet on my head, I think I notice it's uncomfiness once I've taken it off (due to the contrast)

Anyone know if it's possible for the bit on the helmet that you adjust for fit, to stretch slightly over the years (ie, about 4yrs) I'm convinced my helmet is bigger than it used to be. Either that or my head has shrunk!
 Michael Ryan 21 Jun 2008
In reply to lasonj:
> (In reply to Wee Davie) Any chance you just ended up with a duff helmet? Not much good being light and comfy, if it falls to pieces!

Had my Grivel Salamander over a year. Had no problems with it. Found it to be a good helmet. See my review.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1091

Be interested to hear other opinions.
 SonyaD 21 Jun 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Yeah, I read it, that's why I wondered if Davie's was a duff one.
 Skyfall 21 Jun 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

I've been wearing a Grivel Salamandar for a year or so. Best helmet I've used, bar none (even my old version Meteor I). Worn it in winter, alps, UK rock, sports etc etc.

Only issues - the little padded bit came off the chin strap so it does rub v slightly occasionally. The metal clips for headtorch also seem to bend quite easily. Otherwise fantastic.
 Wee Davie 21 Jun 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

>See my review.

I saw your review.

Davie
 brieflyback 27 Jun 2008
In reply to Wee Davie:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
>
> >See my review.
>
> I saw your review.
>
> Davie

I didn't - neither of the links (OP and Mick's) seems to be working at the moment
 stevethomas 30 Jun 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: I have been using a DMM helmet for a while now and find it great. I have also just got a whole set of them for my school and the kids find them easy to adjust and comfy to wear. Great helmet and a good price to.
 Alun 30 Jun 2008

At excellent article, one of the best gear-based ones recently. Very good.

One minor detail for for Tom - I enjoyed the story but if you're going to parody Jane Austen the correct way round is "a truth universally acknowledged"
In reply to Alun:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC)
>
> At excellent article, one of the best gear-based ones recently. Very good.

Thanks Alun, writing it was more fun than washing £60 worth of dishes.
>
> One minor detail for for Tom - I enjoyed the story but if you're going to parody Jane Austen the correct way round is "a truth universally acknowledged"

Errr... accorinding to my copy of pride and predjudice the exact quote is, "It is truth universally acknowleged".

Anyway, I paraphased Austin, I didn't parody her.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...