UKC

NEW REVIEW: Deep Water reviewed by Toby Foord-Kelcey

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 09 Jun 2008
The book Deep Water has been out for nearly a year, but we are now getting into the UK DWS season so this review seems timely. In fact it is more than a review of the book since Toby has some fascinating anecdotes of early deep water soloing exploits and characters.

Read it here - http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1090

UKC Articles
In reply to UKC Articles:

Having taken quite large groups out to solo for the first time, on the Musandum coast here in the Gulf

Mike Olver has pointed out quite correctly to me that my contribution to 'taking groups out' hasn't extended much beyond jumping on boats he and others have organised and being bossy and cantankerous. Sorry, Mike. When the definitive history of Middle East deep water soloing is written I am sure your pivotal role will be properly recognised ...
 alex 10 Jun 2008

Great review/article!
 TobyA 10 Jun 2008
In reply to UKC Articles: Very good review. Does Waddy still climb? Another of Britain's great unsung climbing heroes.
In reply to TobyA:

I believe so. Though my spies' latest reports have focused only on the great man (1) possibly selling some of his vast property portfolio and (2) building something new for The Castle wall in London. I also discovered recently that he has been writing stuff for Alpinist ( http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web07-08w/wfeature-cochamo-waddy-forest ) ... remarkably using normal grammar, complete sentences and a conventional narrative structure. This will be shocking to anyone like me who remembers him communicating solely in elliptical riddles.

Even though I've never done any DWS, this review would certainly tempt me to buy the book and give it a go (though not if her indoors was within earshot) -- We both knew Damo and she was shocked when we got the news of his loss in Majorca.

Sadly warm rock above deep water is a bit far from Lancashire -- they've even partly drained the pool at Denham - (though there's no way I'd even want to get my feet wet in that thing) and Hodge Close scares the cr@p out of me.

Only sad I left the Emirates before you guys did your stuff up the coast -- the piccies look amazing.
petealdwinckle 17 Jun 2008

Well put together review, a good read in itself
 John H Bull 05 Jul 2008

Hey Toby, great article. Really took me back, even though I wasn't there!

Crispin is still climbing, at least DWS and the odd landlubbing route, although he doesn't enthuse about it much - he's more into parapenting these days. He's slightly disgruntled that no-one's repeated his Strone routes, which I think he sees as his best routes and greatest achievements. Maybe he'll write about that too...

Sad to hear that Deep Water hasn't sold well - I'm finding it a hugely inspirational guide - it's got me off my ar*e bigstyle. Have been inspired by several of the UK venues, and Mallorca too. Was at Lulworth and Connor last weekend, and it was just brilliant. My style is mere Deep Water Bumbling, but hey ho.

Crispin's route names are genius. 'A Thin Line' (p.187) had me guffawing when I realised its context.

I'm reserving a name for a direct on his route 'Boomerang' (p.179)....'Stick'. Now, where did I hang my coat?
In reply to jhenryb:

Thanks John.

I reached for the guide to check those route names then remembered I'd lent it to a german friend who's in Mallorca this summer. I won't get it back until late August - will consult then.

My favourite CW names are his parallel 'Cleanliness' and 'Godliness' at Huntsmans (or is it Bosherton?). Funny in several different ways.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...