UKC

NEWS: Lakes Revival, Festival Of Climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 02 May 2008
We've checked the forecast and over the weekend of June 13th - 15th climbing conditions will be perfect in the Duddon Valley where the first Lakes Festival of Climbing is to be held.

Plus news about the next Lakes Area Meeting where bolts will raise their heads once again and also on the agenda is "abseil chains in the Lakes – are these the next step forward?" Ouch!

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=05&year=2008#n43994
OP Michael Ryan 02 May 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

And as you can see from the photo with this report, young Tom Ripley leads the meeting.

Tom will be making a celebrity appearance at the Lakes Festival of Climbing and will be available for autographs and media interviews.

Why does everyone in the photo look normal except me?
Clauso 02 May 2008
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

You look 'speshul'.

In reply to Mick:

Ya bastards. I was keeping the Duddon valley and the Newfield Inn as a secret... I hope that it rains. Lots.
 IanJackson 02 May 2008
A great valley choice for a high mountain meet. I look forward to it.
 Chris the Tall 02 May 2008
Martin's bald patch looks pretty good in the photo - not that I can talk....
martin k 02 May 2008
In reply to Chris the Tall: you'll be hearing from my lawyers, you big bully.
 Skyfall 02 May 2008

are you the really thick looking one with the Prana "Look everyone I'm a climber" t-shirt?
 moo 02 May 2008
In reply to JonC: Now theres no need for that, tom had a lovely day away from his centre though he did need a carer in attendance at this meeting. everyone says things they regret when they are young this is not to say we should twist the knife in when they get older
OP Michael Ryan 02 May 2008
 Wee Tam 06 May 2008

Note to self: "Never ever cut hair short again."
 Will Hunt 06 May 2008
How's Rippers getting served in pubs?!
 Wee Tam 06 May 2008
In reply to Will Hunt:

> How's Rippers getting served in pubs?!

Please don't refer to me as Rippers, you sound like Dan Turner.

I'm 18, but wasn't then

Will Hunt 07 May 2008
In reply to Wee Tam:
Ooo. Happy Birthday then. Was back in the Lakes this weekend and insisted on doing Murray's Route again so that I could lead those two pitches that you lead last time. Magic. Must get up there again soon. This summer?
Dan Turner is at Leeds too though not really in the uni club. He's a strong lad.
 Will Hunt 07 May 2008
In reply to Wee Tam:

Oh yeah, and I know Jas Farrington as well who said of you this weekend:
"He's lovely and a very good climber"!
 3leggeddog 08 May 2008

Is it only me who baulks at the idea of these climbing festivals?

At their worst they are antagonistic, eg last year's gogarth poster.

The only use for them I can see is a list of places to avoid on certain dates. High crags overcrowded with Tarquins and Olivias braying on about their expensive kit. No thanks

I live in the lakes, think I'll go to wales/scotland/peak/wherever on said weekend

(crawls back into cynical hole)
 Bella 12 May 2008
In reply to 3leggeddog: Enjoy your weekend in wales/scotland/peak/wherever on 14 and 15 June.

I'm sure the people who do want to go to the Lakes Festival of Climbing will enjoy it.

Love Olivia x
 Fidget 19 May 2008

I was of the understand that accommodation is free for those attending the festival. Does anyone have any more details - Tom?
In reply to cider nut:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> I was of the understand that accommodation is free for those attending the festival. Does anyone have any more details - Tom?

Hi Cider Lunatic,

Accomidation isn't free. There is camping and bunkhouse. The camping is pretty reasonable at £5 per night IIRC.

HTH

Tom
 Fidget 19 May 2008

I'm not averse to paying, but I have an email (and a piece of paper from the BMC if I can find it) that says (amongst other things): "The ale is excellent, and all accommodation (camping or bunkhouse) is free"
 Simon Caldwell 20 May 2008
£5 per person, plus £1 per tent, plus £1 per car, plus £1 per (usually cold) shower. And no hot water for washing your dishes.
Martin Kocsis, BMC 21 May 2008
In reply to cider nut: sarah, sorry about that, but it was my mistake. i got carried away/confused. the accommodation isn't free, but it's cheap and (probably) the best camping in the lakes.
 Fidget 21 May 2008
In reply to Martin Kocsis, BMC:

Okay, cheers for clearing that up! As I say, I'm not averse to paying, but then again I don't turn down free stuff if it's offered either
 net 21 May 2008
In reply to Martin Kocsis, BMC: A bit like the mythical free chips at the Lakes area meetings
 sutty 21 May 2008
In reply to net:

You need sharp elbows to get to the front of the queue.
 net 21 May 2008
In reply to sutty: My elbows would be quite up to the task if there were any chips in the first place!
In reply to net: erm, i don't know what you mean (ahem!)
 net 21 May 2008
In reply to Martin Kocsis, BMC: Is it part of a top-secret BMC plan to keep us all fit enough to trek up to the high crags?
In reply to net: now that you've blown the gaff, it's not very secret at all!
 net 21 May 2008
In reply to Martin Kocsis, BMC: Ah ha. As I expected. Dastardly.
 Fidget 21 May 2008

Okay, next question. Do we need to book the camping, or just turn up?
martin k 21 May 2008
In reply to cider nut: i recommend booking...

http://www.lakesfestivalofclimbing.co.uk/

then go to the accommodation section for everything you need to know!
 Fidget 21 May 2008
In reply to martin k:

Thanks.
I'd seen the website, but wanted to check on here from the guys-in-the-know, since I got confused by the contrasting information.
anthonyecc 05 Jun 2008
is anyone going as i want to go but my partner bailed on me this week. anyone from the manchester area with a space available? thanks
 Fidget 05 Jun 2008
In reply to anthonyecc:

I did have three people I was sharing lifts with, now I have none! Coming from Stoke (with space in car). Drop me a mail if you want to share, although I'm away Friday - Wednesday coming, so my reply may be slow.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...