UKC

NEWS: Amazing New Photo Feature on UKC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 13 Mar 2008
Web Genius Nick Smith has added an amazing new feature to the UKC photo galleries.

The new viewing feature requires a plug-in from Piclens:

"PicLens instantly transforms your browser into a full-screen, 3D experience for viewing images on the web. Photos will come to life via a cinematic presentation that goes well beyond the confines of the traditional browser window. With PicLens, browsing and viewing images on the web will never be the same again."

Full Details: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news
 ebygomm 13 Mar 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Cool, was looking at this over the weekend and was thinking it would be good for UKC

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=289898&v=1#x4297846
 'Hilda' 13 Mar 2008

Downloaded it but how do I use it?

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 13 Mar 2008
In reply to 'Hilda':

Better than me - I can't get it to download!

Chris ;-(
 ebygomm 13 Mar 2008
In reply to 'Hilda':

Once it's downloaded you have to close the browser completely and then open it again. If you go to something like the top 200 gallery page, if you hover the mouse over a picture you should get a 'play' button. Click that
OP Jack Geldard 13 Mar 2008
In reply to 'Hilda': After downloading: In my browser there is a little blue triangle button in the top right hand side.

Navigate to the Top 200 photo's page. Hit the blue button.

Experiment with it, and hit the button in the bottom left (of the new screen) to do a slide-show.

Hope that makes sense.

Jack
 'Hilda' 13 Mar 2008
In reply to ebygomm:

Ta

I'll try it now.
 stuartf 13 Mar 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs:

And there's no Linux version either
 dek 13 Mar 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Christ! i clicked to download and Safari just crashed on the Mac, is it for PC only?
 Al Evans 13 Mar 2008
In reply to stuartf:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs)
>
> And there's no Linux version either

Shouldn't be a linux snob then
 Michael Ryan 13 Mar 2008
In reply to dek:

Worked on my Mac last night, using Safari.

Watched the top 200 photos, full screen, accompanied by Buying New Soul by Porcupine Tree.

Quite an amazing collection here. Full credit to he photographers.

Mick

The Lemming 13 Mar 2008

Wow

What a fantastic plug-in.

However I just can't get it to work on my own images at the moment on the site.

However impressive stuff so far.
 The Lemming 13 Mar 2008
> (In reply to 'Hilda') After downloading: In my browser there is a little blue triangle button in the top right hand side.
>
> Navigate to the Top 200 photo's page. Hit the blue button.
>
>

Super-duper. Sort of makes Vista Aero and linux look like kiddies toys
 dread-i 13 Mar 2008
In reply to Al Evans:
>Shouldn't be a linux snob then
We are not Linux snobs, we're just better than all you lot.

stuartf:
Check the version of firefox you are using. I seem to be on 1.5.x via yum updates. I cant be arsed to install the latest one at work but will have a go at home tonight.
 ebygomm 13 Mar 2008
In reply to The Lemming:

> However I just can't get it to work on my own images at the moment on the site.

"Currently the Piclens feature is available on the Top 200 gallery, the New this Week gallery and the Top 10 photo's of the week"

The Lemming 13 Mar 2008
> (In reply to 'Hilda') After downloading: In my browser there is a little blue triangle button in the top right hand side.
>
> Navigate to the Top 200 photo's page. Hit the blue button.
>
>

Silly question, but does it only work on the Top 200?

Or will the feature develop to all the galleries later?

The Lemming 13 Mar 2008

This little plug-in gives a whole new viewing experience to my Flickr gallery. I really am glad that I got that 22 inch screen for Christmas with a feature like this.

Shouldn't this thread be in the Photography forum as well?
 Enty 13 Mar 2008

That's brill, cheers.

The Ent
 Enty 13 Mar 2008

Ace, it works on my own Picasa galleries.

The Ent
 'Hilda' 13 Mar 2008
In reply to The Lemming:

Still cant get it to work.

Downloaded program.

Closed down browser.

Restarted.

Go to Photo's

Go to To Top 200 photos

... but then nothing. No blue or play button.

I use IE.

Any suggestions?
Clauso 13 Mar 2008

Very cool... Are batteries included?
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Glad everyone is liking it!

Lemming: We are hopefully going to develop it soon, we'll keep everyone informed. Currently only works on the pages mentioned in the report.

Hilda: I have no idea, I'm afraid, sorry! Hope you get it working soon. Did you download the plug-in for IE? And it all worked OK? Someone on here will be able to help - I'm sure.

Jack
 The Lemming 13 Mar 2008
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC) Glad everyone is liking it!
>
> Hilda: I have no idea, I'm afraid, sorry! Hope you get it working soon. Did you download the plug-in for IE? And it all worked OK? Someone on here will be able to help - I'm sure.

You could always use Firefox instead of IE.

Steve Ashton 13 Mar 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Sensational. Got a 24" widescreen monitor here and, well... what a great feature. Makes a case, though, for inviting submitters of 4 and 5 rated photos resubmitting higher res images. Those 60KB images just don't do it (or the photographs) justice. Once again, terrific.
 gingerkate 13 Mar 2008
I hadn't realised before this just how good the best photos on UKC are. They're fantastic. It's like looking through a really wonderful book. Nice feature! (And thanks to all those who've put up their brilliant pics).
 Mike Peacock 13 Mar 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Wow, great stuff. Just tried it on Flickr too. I guess that's the rest of my day wasted
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 13 Mar 2008

Sorted now and very impressive, even on a 15" laptop.

Chris
 Dom Whillans 13 Mar 2008

that would have been great for me to stick through the projectors at LLAMFF in between films...
 'Hilda' 13 Mar 2008

Got it to work.

Fantastic.

Fredt 13 Mar 2008
In reply to 'Hilda':
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC)
>
> Got it to work.
>

How?

'Hilda' 13 Mar 2008
In reply to Fredt:

Uninstalled it and then reinstalled it.

WOW! The top 200 shots are VERY impressive with this...

When will this applicable to all photos?

Well done UKC!
 Alex1 13 Mar 2008

Awesome - really great for the top 200 gallery and so smooth
 ScottMackenzie 13 Mar 2008
In reply to thread:

Yeah its brilliant looks great, so smooth! Just with the pics not being that high res they look a bit blocky... Is UKC planning to increase the 120k/byte image size at any point? Maybe to 250k/bytes?

Cheers, scott
 ChrisJD 13 Mar 2008

Is there a way of viweing info on the images?

And showing image title and photographer etc?

Shows up the weakness of the 120kb file sixe (well on a 24" screen it does)
 Michael Ryan 13 Mar 2008
In reply to ChrisJD:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC)
>
>
> Is there a way of viweing info on the images?
>
> And showing image title and photographer etc?

Nick has a tech support email in to Piclens about that.

In reply to Scott_M@c:
> Is UKC planning to increase the 120k/byte image size at any point? Maybe to 250k/bytes?

Glad so many people like the new system We'd love to increase the size of images, but at the moment we can't afford the bandwidth this would cost us. However we are moving to a new server later in the year, and we should then have the option of hosting higher resolution photos.

As for displaying photo titles/authors in PicLens, and support for Linux users and other web browsers, PicLens are working on all of this, and you can read more about it on their website FAQ.

Cheers
 icnoble 13 Mar 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Vista won't let me download it, says it is from an unknown publisher. Any ideas?
 stevev 13 Mar 2008
In reply to icnoble:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC) Vista won't let me download it, says it is from an unknown publisher. Any ideas?
same here, vista doesn't like it

In reply to stevev: I've downloaded it on Vista without any problems. Possibly security settings?

Jack
 Jonathan Emett 13 Mar 2008
Very slick.
I had to disable/enable it and restart firefox(2.0.0.12) a couple of times before it settled down - it seemed to break the URL bar for a while (i.e. the browser http:// address bar) but it seems fine now.
I wish you could slow down the slide show speed though - anyone figure out how? their FAQ/tutorial is on the thin side.
morphus 13 Mar 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: haven't tried it yet, but the cooliris previews plugin lets you view threads and picture links without clicking

silverlight's deep zoom has good potential esp if hires uploads were allowed for selected photos
eg http://memorabilia.hardrock.com/
 John2 13 Mar 2008
In reply to icnoble: Does it give you an option for downloading with activex disabled? That might work.

Sounds good, but certificate expired 13/03/08, and windows wont let you download the plug in anymore
 James Moyle 13 Mar 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: First thoughts - mmm, quite good. Then I clicked and dragged to scroll to see what happened and nearly fell off my chair!
Rat know-all 13 Mar 2008
Cool so all we need now are some decent size images to look at eh!
 fimm 13 Mar 2008

Very nice!
 Bob 13 Mar 2008
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:

Very, very nice. Got me grinning with the sheer cheek of it!

One thing I've noticed is that if you select an image from the "grid" then go to full screen view and click the next arrow, it jumps to the next but one image.

boB
 Simon Caldwell 14 Mar 2008
In reply to icnoble:
> Vista won't let me download it, says it is from an unknown publisher. Any ideas?

Tools -> Internet Options -> Security tab -> Custom level -> Change "Download Unsigned ActiveX Controls" from Disabled to Prompt.

Simon Caldwell 14 Mar 2008
In reply to Toreador:
...or contact PicLens and suggest they get their control signed!
 'Hilda' 14 Mar 2008

I can get it to work if I go onto the internet via IE. But the feature doesn't work if I go to the photos though BT Yahoo!

Any ideas?
 Jon Read 14 Mar 2008
It's a pretty thing, but I can't see it replacing the way I normally view the galleries. (1) The resolution in most photos doesn't stand-up to being shown in full-screen, and (2) title and details of the image are lost.
Are plans being drawn up to change this?
 JRNegus 14 Mar 2008

Absolutely brilliant......
 DaveWarb 14 Mar 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: I downloaded this yesterday and it worked fine, but it's not working now. Is anyone else not working?

ta
 dads 14 Mar 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: heh....

UKC Photos to me

show details Feb 14

dads wrote:
> comments => any chance of setting up the site with http://www.piclens.com/lite/ It's an awesome feature.

Thanks, looks like an interesting feature. One disadvantage is that if
we used their slideshow system, you wouldn't be able to comment or vote
on the photos.

Cheers

--
Nick Smith, Webmaster, UKClimbing.com Ltd
Rat know-all 14 Mar 2008
It is a big improvement on any existing system.
But does no one else think that it kind of demands larger images?
 koolkat 15 Mar 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: it freezes my pc up ( windows vista ) when i close it down , also i only get a small image , not full screen , seem to think iam missing somthing here ?
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: PicLens now shows the titles of each photo in the full-screen gallery, but you'll have to download their latest 1.6.3 version from their website.

Enjoy!
Ian Straton 16 Apr 2008
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: Excellent!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...