post marriage admin.... joint accounts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 smiler 06 Mar 2008
Hi all - thanks for your advice in advance - here's the rub:

Just married, and now need to set up a joint account - any suggestions as to which is the best? (happy to go with any bank to be honest, but appreciate that it's easier if you go with your own)

also, now that the wife has changed her name, would there be any difficulties, given that she has no supporting docs (apart from the marriage cert.)?

Thanks

HC~F 06 Mar 2008
In reply to smiler:

You just need to bring the original marriage certificate with you to support a driving licence, passport, utility bills etc that might be in the maiden name.

I'd recommend Smile. Barclays haven't impressed me much.
 Banned User 77 06 Mar 2008
In reply to smiler: We use Natwest, not changed the name yet officially at the banks, good idea. natwest have been great, very much a local service, call me to remind me about things, know who I am, just great.

It took my wife quite a while to let go of her surname but now uses mine virtually all the time. As a runner and an academic her surname was a record of all her past achievements so she was reluctant to switch across.
 andy 06 Mar 2008
In reply to smiler: We have our own accounts and our joint accounts with the same bank (Halifax in our case) - makes it easier if you need to shift money about instantaneously to pay bills etc. When we were doing our house up it was useful as they have a limit of (from memory) £15k per day for online bill payments - when it came to paying the builders some of their more ludicrous sums we just split it between 2 or 3 accounts.
 pog100 06 Mar 2008
In reply to IainRUK:

I'm surprised she did at all. The majority of academics I know have kept their maiden name, kind of goes with the Dr.
My wife did change hers, but she didn't actually like her old one and it was 32 years ago ...

To the OP, I don't think there are any problems, but you will get as many opinions about banks as there are people. We asked around when we got back from Switzerland but ended up staying with Midland (HSBC), which we never liked, but every other major clearing bank seems to he as many votes against as for.
 Toby S 06 Mar 2008
In reply to smiler:

We've had a joint account with the RBS since before we were married. No complaints so far. My wife doesn't intend to use my surname which has saved a lot of hassle!
 Banned User 77 07 Mar 2008
In reply to pog100: She's finished with academia though, I know a few who keep the two seperate, that way if they get a call for Miss X it's work, and Mrs Y means the kids/husband. Keeps it all nice and seperate.
Anonymous 07 Mar 2008
In reply to smiler:
thankyou all - seems it's not that diffucult afterall...

I will let the missus know tonight, and get her to sort it out..
 marsbar 07 Mar 2008
In reply to smiler: I would suggest having a joint account and keeping one each of your own, which she can change her name on hers with the marriage cert, which will give her ID in her new name quicker.

We had to argue about the mortgage about 6 months after getting married as I couldn't prove my address history in my new name, I hadn't been on the bills at his place, and I had already sold mine before I got married. So might be useful to put bills in joint names for future use. Eventually they gave up because what they wanted was impossible, but it was a pain.

Etak 07 Mar 2008
In reply to smiler: we are with the co-op they are ace - i have my very own name!
thesiaus 07 Mar 2008
In reply to smiler:

I work in a bank and we allways suggest you have a joint account and two single accounts, get your salleries paid into your single accounts and transfer whatever you need for bills etc into your joint account. to make life about a million times easier for yourself make sure all 3 are in the one bank (makes money transfers between accounts quicker and easier), if you have accounts in other banks use the banks switching service to switch them over, its free and easy so don't worry about it and most banks would be tripping over themselves to help you with such a request.

ID wise passports which are in date or driving licences with your current address on along with the marrige cert will suffice.

The bank you should go with should be the one which is the easiest to get to if you need to. so whichever bank has the closest branch to your home go with that one. Or if you live in the north east of England give me an email and I'll sort you out
 sculptor 07 Mar 2008
In reply to smiler:

Don't be daft dude!

Go into any bank and set up an account in your wifes maiden name....get out a huge loan (25/45k). Smile and be happy. When the threatening letters start arriving, because you're not making payments, scream identity fraud/feign innocence and produce the marriage certificate....this works best if you can produce a new born baby and are good at spontaneous tears....then sue the bank for millions/thousands (if you're serious) for defamation of character/stress/anything else you can think of/make stick and the rest is gravy. You can then get onto a variety of "chat" shows and sell your story for even more millions/thousands and become a household name leading to film/tv/singing contracts totalling millions/thousands more. Then.....you can sue all your representatives for taking advantage of you and ruining your life and your kids life and destroying your marriage etc etc......

....or am I just being cynical?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...