UKC

NEWS: Young Welsh Climber hits the TV screens

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 31 Jan 2008
Ioan Doyle, (UKC Registered User) 17, from Bethesda, North Wales, is a young climber of exceptional talent and promise. He is starring in a film documentary Wynebau Newydd: Dringo i'r Eitha' (New Faces: Climbing to the Limits) which follows him over the summer of 2007 as he attempts some amazing and classic routes throughout the world.

Filmed by camera man Alun Hughes (Stone Monkey, 80's Extreme) the documentary covers a range of climbing from Yosemite to North Wales.

His mother, Catrin, is very proud of him and understandably experiences a range of emotions and fears watching her child pursue such a dangerous hobby.

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/

View Ioan's UKC Profile: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?id=27980
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor:

Impressively verdant ledge on Suicide Wall in that profile picture.

Caption needs a little work from the points of view of both taste and orthography, though.

jcm
 Alun 31 Jan 2008

Direct link to the show website: http://www.s4c.co.uk/ffeithiol/c_wynebaunewydd.shtml
after it's been broadcast you should be able to watch online - you can stream at reasonable quality from the S4C site, which is useful for us expats in for'n parts. There are subtitles if you don't speak the lingo.

On don't forget about Eric Jones' series on the Alps
http://www.s4c.co.uk/c_watch_level2.shtml?title=alpau%20eric%20jones
I've only seen the first episode so far but it was pretty interesting, looking forward to watching the rest.
Anonymous 31 Jan 2008
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Since when have cocky young hard climbers needed advice from oldtimers like us? Haha ..

CJ.
 chris wyatt 31 Jan 2008

Looks Great I'll watch that!
 The sharp end 31 Jan 2008

Ioan is a very talented and lovely gorgeous young lad whom I have had the pleasure to meet and see climb for myself. Smooth as anything with awesome technique!

Ioan - all the best with becoming a TV celebrity!

Only kiddin and I promise I will get those Clwyd shots of you sent to you asap - life at the mo is a bit hectic to say the least.

Hugs
 Ed Booth 01 Feb 2008

Ioan, nice one matey! You legend! Looking forward to it. And . . .if summer07 was good with all that rain, this summer should be even better. So make sure you get back on that trad! See you soon x
 Sean Kelly 01 Feb 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor: Like football one of the pleasures of life, is seeing the new young talent coming through. Sometimes they don't live up to all the hype, but when they do it really is exciting to follow. I can remember Ron Fawcett as a much hyped 16 yr old, who certainly lived up to all the early exposure. The same too with Jerry Moffat and Wayne Rooney. I personally feel that Welsh climbing has not really moved that much since Jonny Dawes left his legacy of superb routes. This is a very promising start to a climbing caree. However for a real contribution to Welsh climbing, only time will tell. There are a lot of very good climbers about, some make headlines, other like ti remain in the background. But the number of climber that really move the goalposts are very few. I wish the young man well.
 Cardi 01 Feb 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor: Historically, (apart from the classic Vdiffs done by locals 100 years ago) it seems as if there are comparatively few climbers from the area. My father lived just the other side of the bridge on Anglesey for over 20 years and never went up Snowdon. Eric Jones, and the young Llanberis bouldering lads are an obvious exception. If you look at all the classics put up after the war, they've been nearly all been done by (Northern) Englanders eg Joe Brown. Even today, if you go out climbing for the day in Snowdonia, it seems you're more likely to hear a Lancashire accent than a Gog one. Also, even having gone to school in Pembrokeshire, I never knew a single climber. Curious.

Da iawn Ioan
 Glyn 02 Feb 2008
In reply to Cardi: I agree, I live just outside Beddgelert and only a few of my friends climb. Most people who I went to school with have never even been up Snowdon and have no interest in doing so. Its never worried me though. But its always a good thing to see a fellow welsh climber doing well. Pob lwc Ioan
 Cardi 02 Feb 2008
In reply to Glyn: Ti yw met Trystan? I've climbed with someone in uni from near Tremadog who's in Cardiff, said he went to the Alps in the summer with a friend called Glyn. Lead my first proper HVS last summer with him when I lost the coin toss!
 robw007 02 Feb 2008
Whats the guy on down to the right of Ioan in the photo in the news piece. Is it Capital Punishment - or is that the other side?
Geraldine Taylor 02 Feb 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor: Well done to all of you especially to Ioan who is a great guy and climber.
Geraldine
 Cardi 03 Feb 2008
In reply to robw007: I see what you mean; accidently a good shot!
 Chris Shorter 03 Feb 2008
In reply to robw007:

> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor)
> Whats the guy on down to the right of Ioan in the photo in the news piece. Is it Capital Punishment - or is that the other side?

Capital Punishment is on the right but not that far over. I'm not sure what it is.

Chris
fxceltic 03 Feb 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor: can someone translate for me, when are the 2 progs on? ioans and erics? ta
 Michael Ryan 03 Feb 2008
In reply to fxceltic:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor) can someone translate for me, when are the 2 progs on? ioans and erics? ta

Read the news item all details are there:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=01&year=2008#n42390

Ian McNeill 03 Feb 2008
In reply to fxceltic:

click the English link top of the page on S$C
 JDSwain 04 Feb 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor: Is this only available to watch in Wales? I met Ioan at the Beacon and he told me about the filming, am dead keen to see it! Possible to download it or watch it via the tinternet?
 Cardi 05 Feb 2008
Available now - http://www.s4c.co.uk/e_watch_level2.shtml?title=Wynebau%20Newydd:%20Dringo%...

Not sure about subtitles. Early on, it shows him on an E4 on Snowdon 'Y Fwyell' - Which must be 'The Axe' on Clogwyn du'r Arddu
 Ian McNeill 06 Feb 2008

was on last night, great filming and story well rounded perspective of everything well done all involved - enjoy the move to Sheffield !
 Bruce Hooker 06 Feb 2008

He's from Bethesda, so perhaps he'd know if Orm's Cafe still exists?

Could you ask next time you interview him please?
 chris wyatt 06 Feb 2008

Da iawn Ioan! mwynhais i y Rhaglen - yn enwedig sut mae dy fam wedi trio i gefnogi ti !
 JDSwain 06 Feb 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor: Just watched it over the internet, was awesome! He said he enjoyed filming it.
In reply to Chris Shorter:

Chris, is that ramp in the middle of the picture, above the little sunlit nose/ledge affair by the right-hand of the two grass patches, CP's 'triangular slab'?

There was a classic Cleare shot of Rusty Baillie in the same position, I think, but with the camera round further left so that Llyn Ogwen was in shot.

jcm
 Chris Shorter 06 Feb 2008
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
> (In reply to Chris Shorter)
>
> Chris, is that ramp in the middle of the picture, above the little sunlit nose/ledge affair by the right-hand of the two grass patches, CP's 'triangular slab'?
>

That's where I recall that CP went; it was rather a long time ago though!

Chris
 mark20 06 Feb 2008
Anyone got the subtitles working? They won't work for me.
 IanJackson 06 Feb 2008
In reply to mark20: Mediaplayer > Play > Subtitles
 Ram MkiV 06 Feb 2008
I started watching this but because it was in welsh I lost interest. I wouldn't mind watching it with subtitles but I can't find how to get them for realplayer and need codecs for media player appazza. Anyone know how to resolve this either way?
 Ram MkiV 06 Feb 2008
In reply to Steve Ramsden: it's ok, don't all rush at once.......sorted now.
 abarro81 06 Feb 2008
In reply to Steve Ramsden:
yeah, it doesn't work in my media player either
 abarro81 06 Feb 2008
how did you sort it?
 Ram MkiV 07 Feb 2008
In reply to abarro81: sorry for late reply, been busy watching it!
I right clicked on the link off the S4C page and clicked 'copy link location'. Then pasted that into 'file/open URL....' in media player. Then selected subtitles under 'play'. c'mon, can't be hard if i managed it. much better when you know what he's saying
 abarro81 07 Feb 2008
my media player still wont play it, even with doing that and switching it to http... oh well.
 andrewgraham 07 Feb 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor: Downloaded the programme on S4Ci - well done ioaski - we're all very proud of you. Don't forget to come over and give us a grit masterclass. Rays Roof awaits you lad! Cheers. Tony.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...