REVIEW: Moon Cypher Pant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 14 Jan 2008
Mick Ryan writes

"I'm always after the perfect climbing trousers (pants). They are hard to find. If I'm in the mountains you can't beat my favourites, the Patagonia Guide pant; I'm on my second pair. I've worn them from Tryfan to Ben Nevis to the alpine backcountry of California's Sierra Nevada range and in the towering canyons of Las Vegas's Red Rocks. They are hard wearing, warm, shower proof, have zippered pockets with importantly full freedom of movement. Expensive at £100, but worth it.

But for cragging or bouldering I prefer something less extreme and you have to look the part, don't you? When I was bouldering virtually every other day in the boulder fields of Bishop I went through pants almost as fast as I went through a box of Yorkshire tea."

Read the full review of the Moon Cypher Pant at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=794
 GarethSL 14 Jan 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC:

whats wrong with these for £35?

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=1&prod=54&cat=41&a...
nicolaw 14 Jan 2008

I think as a thread title this is one of my all time UKC favourites.

Bulls Crack 14 Jan 2008

I had a pair of those cheap Moon trews - sold to me by the man himself at the Outdoors show - and I have to say they were the worst pair of climbing trousers I've ever owned. I'm not exactly odd shaped - medium since about the age of 16 and not possessing an oversized lunchpack - but these appeared to be designed for some sort of unisex alien with no hips or genitalia or maybe some sort of emasculated ladyboy. They were also horribly sweaty - worn twice then ditched...but they were only a £10 I suppose

Bring back Ron Hills now
OP Michael Ryan 14 Jan 2008
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Those weren't the Cyphers, I know the ones you are on about - they were going cheap and for good reason. I don't think he sells those anymore.

No, the Cypher's are a great climbing pant. Good effort to the Moon.

I'd also like to see a heavier version as well.
In reply to Gaz lord:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC)
>
> whats wrong with these for £35?
>
> http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=1&prod=54&cat=41&a...

Dude I've no freakin idea as I've never worn them.

I give up, you tell me.

rich 14 Jan 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC: actually i'm not wild about elasticated waists - i find that if i wear 'pleated' stuff like that under harnesses / waist belts for long enough i get red marks that can get quite (mildly) uncomfortably over two or more days - smooth and sleek would be ideal for me

but then i'm a delicate flower really
 edg 14 Jan 2008

I had a pair of Cypher Pants and wore them for southern sandstone - quite possibly the softest of cragging rock imaginable. They got scuffed to f*., the two pocket buttons pulled through the fabric (The bum-pocket button is still going) and the elasticated chord on the ankle ripped out.

I don't climb hard, and a I don't climb roughly. They were just an astoundingly shoddy piece of equipment - by far the worst pair of trousers I've ever bought.
In reply to rich:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC) actually i'm not wild about elasticated waists - i find that if i wear 'pleated' stuff like that under harnesses / waist belts for long enough i get red marks that can get quite (mildly) uncomfortably over two or more days - smooth and sleek would be ideal for me
>
> but then i'm a delicate flower really

Aren't we all darlink?

Simply remedy there. Get yourself a pair of woolen boxers ( by C-IN 2 http://www.underwear-addict.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage... ) and make sure that you pull your boxers over the elasticated band of the Cyphers - that way no red marks and everyone gets to see the C-IN 2 logo.

Double whammy dude.

rich 14 Jan 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC: thanks Mick - i was wondering whether 'natural fabrics' might be the solution - i got a merino base layer for christmas and will be interested to see how it goes
 GarethSL 14 Jan 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC: basically a super simple pair of trousers, in light cotton with a full legnth gusset instead of a diamond, with pleated knees, pockets that you can actually get to whilst wearing a harness, flat belt, seamless waist and elastic cuffs. I bought a pair 3 yrs ago and I swear to god I havn't worn a better pair of trousers for climbing. Yet they double up as hiking trousers. As well as being the only pair of trousers I have found comfortable under waterproofs! The price I thought was hefty at the time I think I paid £40. I'v tried on the moon trousers and tbf I dont think they justify the price tag for what you get.
In reply to Gaz lord:

Sounds a solid pair of trousers.
 richard kirby 15 Jan 2008

They are certainly the best and most comfortable around. I continue to buy them because of this. However, it seems hit and miss whether you get a well made pair or not. There is defo a problem with the pocket studs pulling through, falling out......without any significant use. The draw cords also just drop off......twice in a shop trying them on!

I still think the cut was at its best with the original S7 Cypher's...bar being a little short in the leg.

I have 3 pairs and would probably buy again.........but they could certainly do with better quality control on the issues above.

IanJackson 15 Jan 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC: What wrong with 5 pairs of these.

http://www.ultimateoutdoors.co.uk/item/Brand_RonHillsTracksterTrek_308_0_19...
 Justin T 15 Jan 2008
You know what I want? I want outdoor manufacturers to wake up and realise that when they're designing products for outdoor types we don't want to have to have a 40" waist in order to get >32" legs... How many climbers do you know who have a 40" waist anyway? Why is all the good gear designed for time bandits or wombles?
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC: I'm currently on my 2nd pair of these Moon pants, and I think they are the best climbing trousers I've ever had. Excellent fit, very comfy, and good at a range of temperatures.

My only minor complaint is the lack of a fly, which means having to take off your harness if you want to go for a quick wee. But of course no one climbs routes any more ;P

Oh, and I think the sizing might have changed recently - their "medium" is now more like a "small" from other manufacturers. Try before you buy.
Anonymous 30 Jan 2008

I've got two of them, because we sell them in the gym im working in. Last year they had some of them produced in turkey which ripped just everwhere. I had them replaced by the new production, which was suddenly a few inches smaller. The result is, that everybody thinks im trying to show off when i do a sitstart.
Then the already mentionend elephant ears and the lack of a zipper to take a wee. And very annoying are these straps on your ankle that get caught everywhere when you are walking through wooden areas. I wouldnt never recommend them to someone i like.
 Chris F 31 Jan 2008
In reply to Gaz lord: They look like the ones you can get in Decathlon for about £20. My pair are about 2 years old and still going strong.
 UKB Shark 31 Jan 2008

The combination of 'gusseted' and 'crotch' has put me off clicking on this thread. How anyone get fetishistically excited enough about climbing trousers to spend £100 is beyond me. The most important feature of climbing trousers is the price tag. Significant discomfort or failing on a route can rarely be attributed to selecting the wrong pair of trousers.

My current pair cost £15 in a sale at CragX. They are Italian I think (Dogma?). If its cold I wear thermal trousers or hide a pair of Ron Hills under them. If it rains I go home.
Bob kate bob 31 Jan 2008
In reply to Anonymous: That reminds me, I have to take a pair back as when they were worn for the 1st time the fabric ripped on the front of the leg next to the stitching of the gusset.
Phil Payne 01 Feb 2008

I'm not sure if these are the same trousers that have been around for a couple of years, but if they are, I had 2 pairs and they were both rubbish.

I bought them for £50/pair from Snow and Rock in Bristol, so they weren't the cheap ones that someone else mentioned. I actually started a thread about them about 2 years ago. They were great trousers for wearing to the pub, but were hopeless for climbing.

I managed to split 1 pair on the very first outing, when jumping from a boulder problem. The material literally ripped in half and not down the seems where you would expect them to, but luckily for onlookers I was wearing shreddies that day. The other pair, the poppers fell off the pockets on the first outing and on the third or fourth the same happened as the first.

Ben Moon actually posted on my thread at the time and apologised, which was nice of him. Someone from Snow and Rock also said that they would give me a full refund, but I lived too far away to make it worthwhile taking them back. That experience has put me off Moon gear for life.

Phil
OP Michael Ryan 01 Feb 2008
In reply to Phil Payne:

Hi Phil and others,

I'll call Ben Moon on this. It appears there has been quality control problems in the past.

Mine are still fine and I'm very pleased with them.

Will post later.

Ta,

Mick
 Bulls Crack 01 Feb 2008
> (In reply to Gaz lord)
>
> Sounds a solid pair of trousers.

Don't like the sound of that....
 aln 29 Feb 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC: They aren't pants they're trousers. How much do you get for writing this shite?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...