NEWS: Sir Edmund Hillary has Died

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Glyn Jones 10 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull: already a thread by kendo but good to hear you care.
 Mystery Toad 10 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull:

Sincere Condolences to family, friends, and all climbers.
Rest his soul.
Anonymous 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Mystery Toad: A life worth living and to be celebrated rather than mourned.

I hope his friends and family are able to look past their grief and celebrate who he was and what he did.

Sloper
 nz Cragrat 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Anonymous:

He is having a state funeral - such is the respect accorded to the man
In reply to Trull: may he Everest in peace - a true boys own hero
 Steve Parker 11 Jan 2008
In reply to nz Cragrat:

I think the best stuff he did was all that amazing work afterwards to improve people's lives. Some serious commitment and care going on there. Much respect.
 Al Evans 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Steve Parker: A truly great man who used his fame for the good of others. I did meet him and spent a wonderful half an hour chatting about mountains and mutual friends. One of my most treasured possesions is the signed copy of his autobiography that he gave me that day.
A man of history who will be remembered among the truly great explorers, Everest was not his only acheivement, he did the first walk to the S Pole since Scotts expedition in 1912. He established the Himalayan Trust providing education, healthcare and irrigation, farming and water purification projects for the sherpa nation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Hillary
Yrmenlaf 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull:

Heard this morning on the Radio

A great man, with many great achievments

Y.
 kevin k 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull: Dam shame , an inspiration to many an adventurer
In reply to Trull:

I remember as a nipper being taken to the cinema to see the film of the 53 Expedition. I was impressed and inspired. It was as I entered my 20's started climbing, and reading more about the man that I began to appreciate the love of the wild places and their peoples that was his real passion.
 Fredt 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Al Evans:

A truly great hero, he inspired a lot of us to do stuff. An excellent writer too. For the sake of accuracy Al, he drove a vehicle to the South Pole, the third party to reach the Pole, and the first to get a vehicle there. Perhaps an even greater achievement, considering his battle to keep the vehicles going which is brilliantly recounted in his book, 'Nothing Venture, Nothing Win' (1975)
fxceltic 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull: ditto everyones comments from me, what a good bloke
 Trangia 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull:

Very sad. One of mountaineering's Greats. I was a 9 year old schoolboy when the news of the Conquest of Everest (as it was then called) broke. It was electrifying. He has been a lifelong hero since.

A few years ago I was lucky enough to go to a lecture given by him at the RGS in London, and afterwards met and chatted with him. He had a dry myschievious sense of humour and had the room in stitches.
 Martin W 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull: Very sad to hear of his passing, and condolences to his family. He had a fair innings, though, and seems to have lived a good life full of achievement in many spheres.
 Al Evans 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull: And isn't George Band a lovely modest gentleman, refusing to be goaded by the reporter into criticising the acheivements of people who make it today on commercial expeditions. george was the first person to meet Ed and Tensing on their return from the summi. He came on my first Lundy meet and fitted in with the 'young tigers' perfectly.
 Al Evans 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Fredt: I stand corrected, thanks Fred.
 Lancs Lad 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull:

Sad news, He has made a massive difference to thousands if not millions of people, from inspiring mountaineers to all the pepole his schools, hospitals and infrastructure has helped. He really used his fame and influence to make peoples lives richer and safer.

Its great to know he will live on in the work his trust does and that his grieving family have so much joy and goodness to look back on.

Ill be raising a wee dram to the Kiwi Beekeeper tonight, Thanks Sir Ed, you inspired me as a teen and again as an adult.
 J Brown 11 Jan 2008
Rest In Peace
 Tom Last 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull:

That's the way to live a life.

Rest in peace.
 Trangia 11 Jan 2008
In reply to nz Cragrat:
> (In reply to Anonymous)
>
> He is having a state funeral - such is the respect accorded to the man
>

That is a real honour to his memory. State funerals other than for Royalty are very rare indeed.

I was trying to think of how many there have been in the UK in the last couple of hundred years and can only come up with Nelson, Wellington, The Unknown Warrior and Churchill. Any others? Must be very rare in NZ as well.

Sir Edmund and Sherpa Tensing must have been two of the most famous people in the world.

The New NickB 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull: An inspiration to me, like many others early in my climbing life I had a fasination with Everest, my fasination with the mountain has long past, but my admiration of Hillary has not. As others have pointed out, Everest was only the start of his acheivements, be it his trans-polar expedition, or making a major difference to the lives of tens of thousands of Nepalese people.

A life well lived, that impacted far beyond his and our chosen sport.
 Laubie 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull:

A mans man. He got on with the job to hand. Dealt with terrible personal tragedy and spent years of his life helping others.

A true hero and someone who inspires. He is the kind of person our kids need to look up to, NOT "big brother" contestants or equally pointless shows and celebreties of our lovely modern world.
 nz Cragrat 11 Jan 2008
He was also the only living New Zealander to feature on one of our banknotes ($5)
 Ridge 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Laubie:

Well said.
adey 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull: Top bloke great life his book High Adventure is what started me climbing.
 nz Cragrat 11 Jan 2008
IEdmund Hillary - in his own words

Below are some of the notable comments made by Sir Edmund Hillary, who died today aged 88.

* Announcing to his climbing companions that he and Tenzing had reached Everest's summit:

"We knocked the bastard off."

* On the changes fame brings:

"I used to walk down Broadway, Papakura, in my tattered overalls and the seat out of my pants. Now, I thought 'That's gone forever. I'll have to buy a new pair of overalls now'."

* On life's inner challenges:

"It is not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves."

* On the motivation for climbing mountains:

"Nobody climbs mountains for scientific reasons. Science is used to raise money for the expeditions, but you really climb for the hell of it."

* On what is attainable by Everyman:

"You don't have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things -- to compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated to reach challenging goals."

* At the 50th anniversary of the conquering of Everest:

Advertisement
Advertisement

"I like to think that I am a very ordinary New Zealander, not terribly bright perhaps but determined and practical in what I do."

* On 'giving back' later in life:

"The fact that we (in NZ are affluent) is a blessing, and with it comes responsibilities."

* On his reasons for establishing his humanitarian project, the Himalayan Trust, to assist the impoverished in Nepal:

"It is impossible not to see that they lack all the things that we regard as essential in life. They don't have schools and they don't have any medical care or anything of this nature. And I suddenly decided that instead of just talking about it - why didn't I try and do something about it."

* On becoming a knight:

"It was a tremendous honour, of course, but I had never really approved of titles and couldn't really imagine myself possessing one."

* On the news that his face would adorn a banknote - the five dollar note, the first living New Zealander to be so honoured:

"I guess I'll have be respectable for the rest of my life."

* On the decision by NZ climber Mark Inglis who passed a dying British mountaineer during an ascent of Mt Everest for the Discovery Channel:

"All I can say is that in our expedition there was never any likelihood whatsoever if one member of the party was incapacitated that we would just leave him to die."
In reply to Fredt: On the radio this morning this morning they said something about him 'driving to the south pole on a tractor'. Made it sound like he took a wrong turn on the farm!

May he rest in peace. A true inspiration to all.
 KeithW 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Laubie:

Second, thirded & fourthed.

A truly great man; and a good life lived well.
 Trangia 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Richard Bradley:
> (In reply to Fredt) On the radio this morning this morning they said something about him 'driving to the south pole on a tractor'. Made it sound like he took a wrong turn on the farm!
>

That was the 1957/8 Trans Antarctica Expedition which he did with Sir Vivian Fuchs using tracked vehicles Snowcats and Weasels. They also had a Ferguson Tractor fitted with tracks which pulled their radio shack.

nz Cragrat 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trangia:

He didn't really do it with Fuch - he was there to support Fuch putting in dumps - instead , he got pissed off waiting around and went for it...
Clauso 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull:

What's he ever done on gr..... Nope, can't do that one here.

RIP Sir Ed'. In your humanitarian work, you've left a fantastic legacy.
 nz Cragrat 11 Jan 2008
In reply to nz Cragrat:

Most notable among these the was the 1958 British trans-Antarctic expedition led by Sir Vivian Fuchs.

Hillary set out from Scott Base to lay supply dumps for Fuchs's party which had left from the continent's opposite coast. He was then meant to turn back to Scott Base after his dump-laying.

When the New Zealand Antarctic committee gave Hillary permission to carry on further than planned, Fuchs welcomed Hillary's offer to scout a route through the crevasses the British would meet as they approached Hillary's last supply dump.

But instead of testing only part of the route Hillary forged on and
became the first man since Scott to lead an overland expedition to
the South Pole. It took years for the rumbles to die down.
Carpe Diem 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull:

A sad day indeed, but at the same time, what a life to be celebrated!!

What an incredible adventure his life was.

His accomplishments both in mountaineering and adventuring are boys own stuff,not to mention what he did for the Khumbu region.

RIP Ed'
 GrahamD 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull:

Indeed a sad day. From an era when mountaineering was real exploration.
 gribble 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull:
Thanks Edmund Hillary for what you have given the world. You will be missed.
Removed User 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull:
When I was a laddie (and to this day) I had four heros. Hillary, Armstrong, MacNeil and Leonov. It's a sad day to lose one.

RIP
 Michael Ryan 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull:

You can make a donation to the Himalayan Trust at http://www.himalayantrust.co.uk/
Benglog 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to nz Cragrat)
> [...]
>
> That is a real honour to his memory. State funerals other than for Royalty are very rare indeed.
>
> I was trying to think of how many there have been in the UK in the last couple of hundred years and can only come up with Nelson, Wellington, The Unknown Warrior and Churchill.

Earl Mountbatten
Benglog 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull: I shed tears this morning when I heard. He was a hero who stood more than head and shoulders above many.

I have just spoken to a friend who met him in the PyG. Friend had a mountaineering book with him and got Edmund Hillary to autograph it. What a treasure that will be!
 Rampikino 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull:

A sad day, but a great opportunity for a great man to be remembered for his achievements, not just on Everest but beyond. He came from an era where it was possible to be a bee keeper one day and a living legend the next.

Vaya con Dios.

M
 The New NickB 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Benglog:
> (In reply to Trangia)
> [...]
>
> Earl Mountbatten

Pretty much royalty.

I had a quick look on Wikipedia, in addition to the ones Trangia has already mentioned the list includes Palmerston (1865), Gladstone (1898), Earl Roberts of Kandahar (1914) and Baron Carson (1935). Disraeli was offered one, but refused it in his will.

Interestingly other countries seem to be more willing to give them, all US Presidents are entitled to them, as are all Prime Ministers and Governers of Canada, Australia seem to be happy to give them to anyone, Steve Irwin's family were offered one. Hopefully it is treated with more reverence in New Zealand.

Neil Henson 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull: I was shocked and saddened when I saw this, especially as he was a distant relative of mine. I am reliably informed by my father that he was my Grandma's cousin, whose maiden name was Hillary. As the only climber in my immediate family I felt very proud to be related to him (albeit very distantly). Unfortunately I never got to meet him. Very sad.
rginns 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull: 88, FA of Everest, and a life devoted to Nepal and the mountains - what a cracking life! Congratulations to the man - he'll go down in history as one of the greats!
 Toby S 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull:

Sad news. An inspirational character and one that will be sadly missed. His legacy looks set to go on though, he's been responsible for some good work over there.
 Protheroe 11 Jan 2008
A sad day. Hope his good work carries on being done.
Benglog 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull: I was a bit miffed at the midday news coverage on BBC and ITV. Both were talking about him having CONQUERED Everest.

I think he would have been the first to say that NOBODY conquers a mountain.

You might successfully reach a summit but the mountain remains supreme.
 Trangia 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Benglog:

The "Conquest of Everest" was the way it was reported in 1953
Benglog 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trangia: But did the team say they had "Conquered" Everest? I suspect it was an emotive term used by the media. I think most people now accept that "conquest" relates to the total defeat of something. How do you "defeat" a mountain?
 Trangia 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Benglog:
> (In reply to Trangia) But did the team say they had "Conquered" Everest? I suspect it was an emotive term used by the media. I think most people now accept that "conquest" relates to the total defeat of something. How do you "defeat" a mountain?
>

No Sir Edmund in his own words just "knocked the bastard off"!

Pauline 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull: dunno if anyone has posted this link but some nice pics here...

http://news.sky.com/skynews/picture_gallery/picture_gallery/0,,70141-130024...
 Glenachulish 11 Jan 2008
He had a good innings and gave a lot back to the sherpas. The death of someone who has achieved something historic usually throws up all sorts of contemplative pieces. I liked the comment that follows this one.

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/leo_hickman/2008/01/that_everest_instin...
 Trangia 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to Benglog)
> [...]
>
> No Sir Edmund in his own words just "knocked the bastard off"!

And if I recall correctly his words caused quite a stir in what at the time was still quite a prudish British society (at least outwardly). I remember my Dad being quite shocked that someone should use such unrefined language in public!
 Lemony 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull: What a terribly sad day, I can only hope to lead a life a fraction as fascinating and as worthy.
 GrahamD 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Benglog:
> (In reply to Trull) I was a bit miffed at the midday news coverage on BBC and ITV. Both were talking about him having CONQUERED Everest.

The BBC website is a lot better in this respect.
In reply to Trull:

Wow, i know he was 88 but still, i wasnt expecting that - maybe because the guys always seems invincible in my book since i was young and first started climbing. His solo ascent of mount cook when he was 18, because he couldnt find any partners, sticks out in my mind just as much as his everest triumph.

The guy, was and still is, a fookin legend.

Maximum respect. Rest in Peace.
 sutty 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull:

I think this programme has something about him from Chris Bonington;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/news/lastword.shtml

On shortly
 Rob Naylor 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Benglog:
> (In reply to Trull) I was a bit miffed at the midday news coverage on BBC and ITV. Both were talking about him having CONQUERED Everest.
>
> I think he would have been the first to say that NOBODY conquers a mountain.

Agreed. And "today" made a thing about him being "the first, ahead of Tenzing" to the summit. They were a matter of seconds apart, ffs!

They also said that the British celebrated the event "as if it were their own, despite Hillary being a New Zealander"...conveniently omitting to mention that he was a member of the *British* expedition!
 nz Cragrat 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull:

I thought this was cool...

Through all his years as one of the world's most famous men, Sir Ed kept his name and Remuera address in the telephone directory - he enjoyed yarning with the people who had the guts to ring up.

Aucklander Ollie Bradshaw, who 12 years ago famously rang Sir Ed to ask for help with his school essay, joined the tributes.

"Out of all the very important people in the country, the fact I could call up the greatest New Zealander out of the blue and he had the time to yarn to a 14-year-old pretty much sums the guy up," Mr Bradshaw said.

clipskipper 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC:

Thanks for posting this, Mick.

No sarcasm
 clipskipper 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC:
> (In reply to Trull)
>
> You can make a donation to the Himalayan Trust at http://www.himalayantrust.co.uk/

Sorry, meant this
 Outdoor Eddie 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull:

There are those amongst us who are blessed with the exceptional opportunity that leads them to take part in momentous human achievement. These instances are few and far between… landing on the moon... the first ascent of the world’s highest mountain. The rest of us imagine what such an experience would be like, and I, for one, actually struggle with what it would be like to actually be the first to do such things.
Ed Hillary was the first on Everest – something he could have let go to his head… but it is a measure of the man, and his magnanimity, that we still do not know who was first to summit. For Hillary it possibly did not matter. The ‘conquest’ of Everest was the achievement of many - and it was the achievement of mankind. And mankind and the spirit of man was the centre of much of Hillary’s work. Ed Hillary was a colossus in terms of his achievement and an example to us all in terms of his humanity.
In reply to Outdoor Eddie:

> that we still do not know who was first to summit.

Don't we? I thought he had said in 1996 that he was the first to step on to the summit. Hard to imagine anyone it could matter to - except the Nepalese government. Didn't they rn some kind of campaign to get Tenzing to say he'd been first?

jcm
 Conf#2 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull: Great, Inspirational man. Let it be that he has set the bar which we all will strive to reach. If only ey?
*raises glass* Edmund Hillary
 Banned User 77 11 Jan 2008
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: I didn't realise that he had said it was him until he died. But yes he admitted a while back that he was the first one up. But agree it doesn't matter. They climbed it together.
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

The most likely truth is quite easy to unravel once you read all the accounts, and really how little it meant to either of them who first stood on the summit. It mattered to the expedition, though (a bit). Unless Tensing was weakening, and none of Hillary's accounts suggest that he was (apart from the clearing-the-blocked-oxygen-mask story), Tensing quite rightly in the context of both the time and the expedition, hung back in the last 15-20 feet to ensure that Hillary stepped onto the top first. As you say, it would have meant nothing to either of them, but Tensing was naturally humble enough and wise enough to do exactly what (he believed) was expected of him at the last moment.

Trangia 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

It is so irrelevant I don't understand why we are even bothering to discuss who actually took the first step onto the summit. Hillary and Tensing or, Tensing and Hillary were the first men to climb Everest. As mountaineers lets leave it at that and not lower ourselves to the same level as the press who have and still do seem to believe this is such an important issue. When I listened to Sir Edmund lecture and talked to him afterwards it was quite obvious that he found the whole obsession mildly amusing and certainly at that time refused to be drawn by the inevitable questions from the floor.
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth)
>
> It is so irrelevant I don't understand why we are even bothering to discuss who actually took the first step onto the summit. Hillary and Tensing or, Tensing and Hillary were the first men to climb Everest.

I agree with you, and I am certain they would have agreed with you also. Totally irrelevant. They both did it together and stood together on the exact top within seconds.

>As mountaineers lets leave it at that and not lower ourselves to the same level as the press who have and still do seem to believe this is such an important issue. When I listened to Sir Edmund lecture and talked to him afterwards it was quite obvious that he found the whole obsession mildly amusing and certainly at that time refused to be drawn by the inevitable questions from the floor.

Yes, and Tensing would have been equally baffled also (once we take the politics that engulfed the success of the expedition out of the equation).

Barrington 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: The rational is simple really; Could Hillary have soloed it from camp IX - NO. Could Tenzing have soloed it from camp IX - NO. QED; They did it together, & they both required the support of everybody else to get to Camp IX. All climbers know that, it's just the twits in the media that can't understand it.
In reply to Barrington:

But they got on much better than that, worked much better as a climbing team than you have implied.
 Barrington 11 Jan 2008
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: I didn't for one moment mean to imply I thought they didn't get on, just that we all know that it had to be a team effort. They were both heroes of mine (when I'd like to think that it actually meant something). A bit like the first guys in space; So far out on a limb, that we just don't appreciate it any more.
In reply to Barrington:

Sure. I just wanted to stress how obviously well and equally they worked as a climbing partnership.
 Paz 12 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull:

He was a legend. The legend. The original, and arguably the best. Far more than the other everest bloke (if everest was on the out skirts of sheffield you know what we'd think of an outsider getting up it first unwitnessed bar his collaborator ). More seriously, I think he gave a lot and I for one learnt a lot from him. His contribution goes far beyond a liftime of charity work. Out of all the western mountaineers of his time it's hard to think of anyone worthier to be the 1st summiteer of Chomolungma, to be frank, someone who wouldn't have f*cked it up afterwards
like I would. Sorely missed. The world's premier hill plodder, who though he used O2 observed at the time that it was not necessary (they didn't have that much of it), thus inspiring Messner and those who followed, and gave his name to the most famous piece of named technical climbing in the world.

If I am ever lucky enough to find myself at the base of the Hilary step, I shall endeavour not use the fixed rope (and should hope I'll clear up the litter present afterwards). Oh that people would climb it how he found it.
 Panda 12 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull: I was really sad when I heard the news. And shocked - I sort of never thought he would die - he's the sort of character you want to stay around for eternity. My he rest in peace and long live his memory.
 nz Cragrat 12 Jan 2008
In reply to OopzISlippedAgain:
> (In reply to Trull)
> His solo ascent of mount cook when he was 18, because he couldnt find any partners, sticks out in my mind just as much as his everest triumph.
>
Are you sure he did that?

Not that I recall but admittedly my brain is addled these days

nz Cragrat 12 Jan 2008
In reply to nz Cragrat:

His first ascent if I recall was at Mt Cook - a small hill called Mt Ollivier and he was 19 or 20. I think it was quit a few years before he climbed Mt Cook.
 Doug 12 Jan 2008
In reply to nz Cragrat: Piece by Jan Morris (journalist on the 1953 expedition) in today's Guardian
http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,2239514,00.html

here's an extract of relevence to the above discussion

"In itself, to his mind, climbing Everest was a modest claim to fame, nothing showy. It was a personal, private thing that he had done, but which had led him into lifelong friendships with the Sherpa people, who greatly respected and loved him. I will bet that the achievement he was proudest of in his life was the many years, after the ascent, which he dedicated to helping the Sherpas.

It had never occurred to me, when they came down from the summit, to ask who got there first, though I now know that it was the question that journalists would ask repeatedly. It was Hillary, by a rope, but he resisted saying so for much of his life.

I think he didn't want to upset the Nepalis, who regarded Tenzing as the hero of the day, and of course he was, an absolutely equal hero. But he also genuinely believed that it was an achievement of the team. "
 nz Cragrat 12 Jan 2008
The state funeral for Sir Edmund Hillary is expected to be held in Auckland on January 22, Prime Minister Helen Clark said after meeting with the mountaineer's family for two hours today.
butch 12 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull: Rest in Peace. A hero and a Gentleman.
In reply to Trull: Everyone has to go one day, but what a life, he truly achieved something unequivocal, but perhaps his greatest achievement was his work that made life better for the Sherpas and their communities, a repayment to the people who made him immortal.
alunpugh 12 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull:

Edmund Hilary was a very fine mountaineer and his 1953 ascent with Tenzing Norgay was remarkable as the first climb from the South over unknown ground, including the FA of the "Hilary Step". He also worked tirelessly to support the people of Nepal. All in all a top bloke and a sad loss indeed. He may well have been the first man on the summit.

But he might have been the third person to stand on the roof of the world, 29 years after the first ascent by two guys climbing from the North. I don't suppose we will ever know if Mallory and Irvine made it and died on their way down unless their camera turns up one day....

nz Cragrat 12 Jan 2008
In reply to alunpugh:

The grandson of Everest climber George Mallory has ended speculation over who was first to reach the summit of the world's tallest mountain by affirming Sir Edmund Hillary's ascent.

Melbourne-based George Mallory II told the Herald on Sunday, "As far as I'm concerned, he [Hillary] made the first ascent of Everest, in the Hunt team."

Mallory disappeared high on the north-east ridge of Mt Everest in June 1924, and was last sighted a few hundred metres from the summit.

Speculation has endured ever since that he successfully completed the ascent.

In the mid-1980s, Sir Ed said proof of Mallory having made the ascent first would have "downgraded" his and Norgay's achievement of being the first to have made the ascent and returned.

He asked, "If you climb a mountain for the first time and die on the descent, is it really a complete first ascent of the mountain?

"I'm rather inclined to think, personally, that maybe it's quite important, the getting down."

George Mallory II, who climbed Everest in 1995, said he agreed with Sir Ed's assessment.

"I agree with Hillary. You have to get down from the top. You do have to get down the mountain."
 Howard J 12 Jan 2008
In reply to nz Cragrat:

Exactly. We all know that reaching the top of any mountain is only halfway, and often the easiest bit. But the media, as always, struggle to understand this.

It doesn't matter which individual was first to set foot on the summit, it was the team of Hillary and Tenzing which did it. You wouldn't say that a relay race was won by the person who ran the final leg and crossed the finishing line.

Climbing Everest was a momentous achievement, but it's worth remembering that the first ascent might been made by a number of other members of the expedition, had things worked out differently. Whether they could have used that achievement as a foundation to achieve so much more, as Hillary did, is another matter. A truly great man, not just a great mountaineer.
alunpugh 13 Jan 2008
In reply to Howard J:
> (In reply to nz Cragrat)
>
> Exactly. We all know that reaching the top of any mountain is only halfway, and often the easiest bit.

Indeed it is often the easier "half". But reaching the top is the "ascent". Getting down is the "descent". That is pretty important too. My point was that it's impossible to state with confidence that Ed Hilary was the first to ascend - or "stand on the top" as many newspapers put it. He probably did, but there is enough doubt to make the appropriate qualification.

Not recognising the possibility that the 1924 exped might have made it is a bit saying that no British woman has made an ascent of K2.
 Tom Briggs 18 Jan 2008
In reply to Trull:

Nice to hear that Lukla Airport is to be re-named Tenzing-Hillary Airport:
http://uk.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUKDEL14437220080116?pageNumber=1&...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...