NOW LIVE: Dave Turnbull's BMC Christmas Address

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dave Turnbull, CEO of the BMC, gives the first BMC Christmas Address to the UK's mountain community providing an overview of the BMC's work in 2007 and the challenges that lie ahead in 2008.

WATCH IT HERE: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=754
 Paz 25 Dec 2007
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

It's nicely put together, and well worth watching. But it's not exactly festive is it... Merry xmas to you too Dave!
benjaminhills 25 Dec 2007
In reply to Alan James - UKC: yeah good job, quite touching in places- (think I've had too many beers). cheers though :0)
 Rob Jarvis 26 Dec 2007

Brilliant idea, nice one BMC & UKC - very pro-active. I'd be inspired to go and join myself if I wasn't already a member! Instead I’ve done my own bit to help the membership drive here:

http://www.highlandguides.com/news.html

Happy Christmas and here’s to a successful year on, and off, the hill.

Rob.
 Dave Musgrove 26 Dec 2007

Well done Dave, and the UKC team. A very positive performance and I think it shows exactly what the BMC is all about these days. For all those knockers and doubters who regularly ask what does the BMC do for me, just watch and listen. There is something in here for all of us.

Dave
 Simon 26 Dec 2007
> Dave Turnbull, CEO of the BMC, gives the first BMC Christmas Address to the UK's mountain community providing an overview of the BMC's work in 2007 and the challenges that lie ahead in 2008.
>
> READ IT HERE - http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=754

Surely isn't that WATCH IT HERE

;0P

Well done chaps, I'm surprised you all kept straight faces enough to get through that!

How many belay stakes were taken out from Pembroke again Dave?

;0)

si
 TobyA 26 Dec 2007
In reply to Alan James - UKC: Crackin'. Very nicely done by someone who obviously knows one end of a camera and editing programme from the other! I might even join if you can as a non-UK resident.
 kevin stephens 26 Dec 2007

Great concise, informative and entertaining video.
BUT...

The link on the news article to "Join the BMC" doesn't seem to work, on my PC at least
In reply to Simon:

Yes, I think Alastair Lee's done an amazing job putting this film together - I was pretty nervous about the whole thing but in the end its way beyond my expectations. The filming was done in a single 2.5hr slot a few Friday's ago. It could've easily been 2-3 times longer and there's loads of stuff that did'nt make the final cut e.g. about volunteers, improvements in the Travel Insurance scheme in 08, guidebooks etc.

There's probably a few inaccuracies in what I said. Not sure about the exact number of Pembroke belay stakes that were removed for example - I know we placed 30 brand new 1 metre heavy duty ones, but I'm pretty sure they were in place of about double that many old ones.

Anyway - thanks to Mr Ryan for an inspired idea and to all those whose still pics we used - Alex Messenger, UKC and others.
In reply to kevin stephens:
> The link on the news article to "Join the BMC" doesn't seem to work, on my PC at least

Seems to be working okay for me... perhaps try again after reloading.

Alan
 kevin stephens 26 Dec 2007
quite bizzare, tried this on two different computers with same problem, left click gets no response, but right click provides options to open link, maybe a minor tweek needed?
Jules King 26 Dec 2007
Not working on mine either,
Merry Christmas from Austria to all at the BMC and UKC.
 Michael Ryan 27 Dec 2007

Can I encourage you to tell your friends about this film and to email them a link.

It is very important stuff.

And you will make a difference if you join the BMC if you aren't a member already.

Thank you.

Mick
Nick Colton, BMC 27 Dec 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC:

More detailed info about the things the BMC does can be found by clicking on this link http://www.thebmc.co.uk/Feature.aspx?id=2278
 Bulls Crack 28 Dec 2007

It's heartwarming to think that I am a member of the 'mountain community'...hi guys.
 gingerkate 29 Dec 2007
Well it's nudged me into rejoining, so that's one more drop.

I was wondering, has the BMC ever tried any schemes to encourage members to recruit their mates? I haven't seen any, but then I've not been paying attention.
 TobyA 29 Dec 2007
In reply to Alan James - UKC: Have the BMC people noticed that when you go to the join page and then click on the "members benefits" page - it just reloads the join page? I was actually going to join but then never did after getting annoyed spending five minutes trying to work out what on earth was going on with the site. I will join, but I still don't know what benefits I'd be eligible for as a non-UK resident.
In reply to TobyA:

That is curious. It is in fact the same page but it does have a different address.

Looks like a technical error there.

Alan
 gingerkate 29 Dec 2007
In reply to TobyA:
You're right, the link doesn't do what it should. I think the page is there, under membership services in the column on the left... ie Is this the page you're looking for, do you reckon?

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/Category.aspx?category=14
 gingerkate 29 Dec 2007
In reply to TobyA:
> but I still don't know what benefits I'd be eligible for as a non-UK resident.

ps I bet you'd not find that online even if the right page appeared ... but it does say at the bottom of the 'join' page to contact them with any membership queries, so you probably actually want this page:
https://www.thebmc.co.uk/Pages.aspx?page=159

In reply to TobyA:

All the links on the side bar work still though, it is just that one text link which is pointing to the wrong place.
Geoffrey Michaels 29 Dec 2007
In reply to Dave Turnbull, BMC:

Great video and lots of great work being done by you all.

Just to clarify, should a person living in Scotland join the MCofS or BMC?
In reply to Donald M:

The MCofS covers Scottish issues - the BMC covers England & Wales. Ultimately its a personal choice; the BMC does have a couple of thousand members based north of the border.
 Norrie Muir 29 Dec 2007
> (In reply to Donald M)
>
> The MCofS covers Scottish issues - the BMC covers England & Wales. Ultimately its a personal choice; the BMC does have a couple of thousand members based north of the border.

It is a pity Scottish based mountaineering clubs can't be affiliated to the BMC.

Don't be modest, there was nearly 3000 in December 2000.
 Veronica 30 Dec 2007

Leads to an interesting line of thought, why not have one UK MC and one UK MLT body?
Geoffrey Michaels 30 Dec 2007

Does the BMC direct prospective members to the MCofS then and/or make them aware of it?
Alex Messenger, BMC 30 Dec 2007
In reply to TobyA:

We did have a very nice membership benefits page, but in their enthusiasm to get to grips with the new website admin functions, it looks like someone has accidentaly deleted the page.

They will of course be shot, and the page replaced in the new year.

In the meantime, if you've got any specific membership questions, please email arun@thebmc.co.uk.

Nick Colton, BMC 30 Dec 2007
In reply to Donald M:

Hi Donald, in reply to your question, when the opportunity arises we do. See here for instance http://www.thebmc.co.uk/Feature.aspx?id=2276
Alex Messenger, BMC 30 Dec 2007
In reply to people:

The new BMC membership offer is also now online - join by Direct Debit in January or February and save 50%. See here for details:

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/Feature.aspx?id=2312
 gingerkate 30 Dec 2007
In reply to Alex Messenger, BMC:
Oh lovely, so if I'd just waited a few days instead of being prompted into virtue by Dave's spiel, I'd have saved 50%!

sutty 30 Dec 2007
In reply to Alex Messenger, BMC:

Does the MC of S use the BMC insurance scheme and cover, if not why would someone join it if they wanted insurance?
Geoffrey Michaels 30 Dec 2007
In reply to sutty:

I was able to access the full benefits of being a BMC member with regards to insurance even though I am only a member of the MCofS.
 sutty 30 Dec 2007
In reply to Donald M:

Good, I did wonder.
In reply to sutty:

To clarify - we have an arrangement thats allows all MCofS and MCI members to take out BMC Travel Insurance without being BMC members; this includes all MCofS and MCI affilated club members.

+ to gingerkate - I'm pretty sure I said in the film that the 50% off direct debit offer comes into effect on 1 Jan
 sutty 30 Dec 2007

It may be worth putting that message on the Scottish Climbs website as well, for those who do not use this site all the time .
 gingerkate 30 Dec 2007
Ah, now I listen to it again I hear it.
I'm sure the BMC will put the extra bit to good use anyway.
Lakes Climber 05 Jan 2008

Great film it's nice to be able to put a face to the names involved with the BMC, helps to make it feel a bit more personal. In the shop we have always believed that the BMC is vital, in the modern world of politics over access and conservation, to helping keep the spirit of our sport alive.
 Fredt 05 Jan 2008

LIVE eh?......

So does he give the talk over and over again every time somebody clicks the link?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...