UKC

NEWS: The Warthog Rises Like A Phoenix From The Ashes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 17 Dec 2007
" I remember belaying off a warthog on the Cobbler when all else I could find was a small and not very deep knifeblade (my partner decided to take a factor two fall onto the belay leading the next pitch, so that belay will be imprinted into my memory for the rest of my life), and many times using them when you arrive on the top of a cliff where you are suddenly in a flat, frozen field with nothing to belay off - Udlaidh, Beinn an Lochain, Lochnagar being good examples." writes Toby A about Warthogs on a thread today at UKClimbing.com about ice protection.

The Warthog is available again.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Norrie Muir 17 Dec 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC:

I'm with Andy Kirkpatrick on this. Hooks/Bulldogs are better/safer than Warthogs.

rich 17 Dec 2007

> However, Needle Sports has located the engineering firm that originally made Warthogs for Mountain Technology and are very pleased to be able to offer them once again.

now they just need to find the engineering firm that made the picks for vertiges . . .
 Mark Stevenson 18 Dec 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC: I think it is unprecedented for an independent climbing shop to take a step up the supply chain and get involved in the manufacturing/distribution of a niche product.

I'm certain this is not a purely financial decision and I'm sure many future climbers will be thanking Stephen over the Winters to come.

Personally I normally carry both a warthog and a hook most of the time.

Doug 18 Dec 2007
In reply to Mark Stevenson:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC) I think it is unprecedented for an independent climbing shop to take a step up the supply chain and get involved in the manufacturing/distribution of a niche product.
>
Is it ?
Many shops have had their own products in the past, especially for clothing. What about Joe Brown helmets ?
 TobyA 18 Dec 2007
In reply to Mark Stevenson: I love it the Poles want them as well. Are the Tartras very turfy as well or do they do something else odd with them? Anyone know?
andy kirkpatrick 18 Dec 2007
Well done Steve and every one at Needle sports. It's good see a retailer putting the money, time and energy into a real niche climbing product (i.e. low margin, low turn over but pretty vital to those who want them). You can add them to the sprung axe leash category of products where there is a demand but no one is listening but you.

Well done - this is where indie shops really punch above their weight.

How about finding the manufacture of the HB carbon helmet next?

Andy
 AlH 18 Dec 2007
In reply to andy kirkpatrick: And I'd put a vote in for the HB sherriff - toughest belay plate I know (and the only one where the wire keeper doesnt eventually get trashed renting it out at a climbing wall)
Al H
What other disappeared gear should be remade?
 Glen 18 Dec 2007

Excellent news.
I lost my Warthog a couple of years ago and have been after a new one ever since.
Removed User 18 Dec 2007
In reply to TobyA:

"Grass climbing" as the Poles call it is popular. They have some big routes climbed entirely on thick seams of frozen grass and moss. I've seen photos where it didn't even look wintery; no snow, just solid frozen turf.

I climbed with a Polish guy in Scotland years ago once and he was a big fan of turf, he had a huge rack of warthogs (which he acquired by swapping titanium screws) and was surprised I only had two.
 Burnsie 18 Dec 2007

Way hey – Burnsie’s post makes a news item, I’m honoured.

Funny thing is I was on the needlesport site looking for wan o they peckers that Andy K was on about. The chalk climbers will be happy - was there not some dude on here a while ago looking for about 20 of the things ?
 SonyaD 18 Dec 2007
In reply to Removed User: 'Free grass climbing'

http://www.wspinanie.edu.pl/content/view/76

John Alcock 18 Dec 2007
In reply to lasonj:
We left a couple of warthogs on Breakaway, if anyone fancies some booty.
 Mystery Toad 18 Dec 2007
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Mark Stevenson) Anyone know?

you could ask this guy
http://www.swapmeetdave.com/WartHog.jpg

Though I've never used one I think it's brilliant they're available again.
once you got this old school thing goin it's for LIFE. ; )

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...