UKC

NEWS: Sir Ranulph Fiennes and Jack Osbourne To Attempt Everest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 12 Dec 2007
63 year old Sir Ranulph Fiennes OBE is planning to attempt Everest next April by the South Col route first climbed in 1953 by Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay.

Jack Osbourne who turned his debauched drug-taking and partying lifestyle around by embracing climbing, with the help of climbers Mike Weeks and Bean Sopwith, is also reportedly making plans to climb the world's highest peak.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Stig 12 Dec 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC: Mick, her name is Bean Sopwith.
 galpinos 12 Dec 2007
In reply to Stig:
> Mick, her name is Bean Sopwith.

.....as in Camel.
OP Michael Ryan 12 Dec 2007
In reply to galpinos:

Cheers...corrected.
 Mick Ward 12 Dec 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC:

> Jack Osbourne who turned his debauched drug-taking and partying lifestyle around by embracing climbing,

Kind of ironic that embracing climbing was once a pretty guaranteed entre to debauched drug-taking and partying lifestyle.

But good effort on young Jack. Jumping off the top of the Conger showed he's got an awful lot more bottle than I have.

Mick
Ackbar 12 Dec 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC: I don't normally say this sort of thing but "this is not news!". No offence meant to anyone but, please consider leaving stuff like this alone in future. Cheers
OP Michael Ryan 12 Dec 2007
In reply to Ackbar:

You have to explain why, you can't say it isn't news and leave it at that. Well you can but better if you give reasons.

Cheers,

Mick
 Kyuzo 12 Dec 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC: It's definitely news, very interesting news!
 DaveWarb 12 Dec 2007
Wish i was the 'once Drugged up', son of a foul-mouthed American, so i could get opportunities like that.
Makes you think. Doesn't it?
 Mick Ward 12 Dec 2007
In reply to DaveWarb:

Thought Ossie was a Brummie (or have I got things hopelessly wrong yet again?) Anyway, surely the lad's making an effort and doing better than others of his ilk. I vote for cutting him some slack.

Mick
 DaveWarb 12 Dec 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC: Yeh probably... I dont like Black Sabbath. Either way my thoughts on opportunity remain the same.
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC: If only Jack Osbourne had talent then he wouldn't have to do this jumped up publicity stunt. He is on a par with that Muppet Jade Goody and Peaches Geldof. Just famous for being famous! Rather than being good at something, to make them famous.
 DaveWarb 12 Dec 2007
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide: I reckon theres an Age thing going on here. I reckon were probably just Envious, that, like you say, someone with limited Talent and is famous for being family to someone famous, is getting opportunities we can't have, if he does it well done to him, unless hes carried up by a Sherpa....
Ah well, im looking forward to good old NYMoors Sandstone at Captain Cooks Quarry this weekend, at the dizzying heights of about 6-8m doing some terribly graded bouldering and Micro Routes.
rich 12 Dec 2007
In reply to DaveWarb: http://www.jagged-globe.co.uk/exp/itinerary/everest.html

here you go - give you something to save up for
In reply to DaveWarb:
> (In reply to Tom Ripley) I reckon theres an Age thing going on here. I reckon were probably just Envious, that, like you say, someone with limited Talent and is famous for being family to someone famous, is getting opportunities we can't have, if he does it well done to him, unless hes carried up by a Sherpa....

I'm not jelous. I have no disire to be dragged up Everest. I just think these sort of activities are jumped up publicity stunts. This sort of thing is not what climbing is about.

The events of two days ago on the Ben, however is everything climbing is about.

DaveWarb 12 Dec 2007
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide: I wouldn't want to be dragged up either, but you wouldn't pass up the chance to go the Himalayas would you?
All i was trying to figure out, is why older people were saying positive things, and then two 17yr olds are saying negative things.

No comparison between the Ben or Captain Cook's..... CC anyday!. I twisted my knee cap this year in Scotland. (shudders)
In reply to DaveWarb:
> (In reply to Tom Ripley) I wouldn't want to be dragged up either, but you wouldn't pass up the chance to go the Himalayas would you?

To the Himalayas? presently yes. I currently don't have the skills/exspirence to achive my aims.

The idea of being dragged up everest on a commercial expedition simply does not appear. To me it takes everything that enjoy about climbing out of it.

When I go to the Himalayas it will be to climb remote technical peaks, alpine style. Not on a commercail seige expedition.
 Norrie Muir 12 Dec 2007
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:
> (In reply to DaveWarb)

> The events of two days ago on the Ben, however is everything climbing is about.

What, doing new winter routes on the Ben, surely everyone does that. It would be a novelty to go for a snow plod up Everest.
 DaveWarb 12 Dec 2007
In reply to rich: Yeh im aware of the costs. Im Happy with UK & Europe i think
In reply to Norrie Muir:
> (In reply to Tom Ripley)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> What, doing new winter routes on the Ben, surely everyone does that. It would be a novelty to go for a snow plod up Everest.

I'm sure everyone did do that, in 1971 or when ever you first went climbing. You didn't have to look so hard, or be as good to find a new line then.

I was refering to climbing new route at the cutting edge of what is possible in perfect style.
 DaveWarb 12 Dec 2007
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide: I wish you all the best.
Well, id go to the Himalayas to do anything given the chance.
 jl100 12 Dec 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC: It is a bit sad that people cant be more original with thier climbing goals. Although climbing El Cap is fairly impressive even if he jugged all the way. I dont know why charities let people climb everest in their name its such a cliched, un-creative thing to do. And so many people are doing it now that it wont gain any publicity. If they enjoy it i suppose; at least its bringing money into nepal, which then leaves in the pockets of western guides.
This may sound very sinical but i do actually think raising money for charity is a good thing. What charity is Jack doing it for?
ta
Joe
 Norrie Muir 12 Dec 2007
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:
> (In reply to Norrie Muir)

I was refering to climbing new route at the cutting edge of what is possible in perfect style.

You will be very disappointed if you think 'cutting edge' is 'everything climbing is about', as you will never achieve that level. More than likely, you will never even repeat any of the 'cutting edge' routes done 30 years ago, nevermind morders ones. Keep dreaming.
Ian Black 12 Dec 2007
In reply to All: Jack Osbourne may be a priveleged kid, but if he gets the chance to have a crack at Everest, then good luck to him. Although the south col is not technically demanding, it still requires tremendous fitness, stamina, mental strength and the will to survive. I personally enjoy more technical alpine classics and UK winter, rock, and even a bit of bouldering. I don't think people should just dismiss high altitude mountaineering as being easy, just because it may be non technical. Anybody entering this environment has to pit their wits against the elements, day after day and this wears you down through time. Each discipline has its place, and its very easy to sit behind the computer and criticise just because it may not be your personal 'bag'. Good luck tae the wee tattooed f..k wit and Ran.
Ackbar 12 Dec 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC: Fair enough, I shall explain. News should be new. I'm pretty sure I read a book once about a bunch of Brits, a Kiwi and a Nepalese who have already climbed everest.

I do however think that personal stories about less cutting edge stuff are interesting. But they should be essays and should be written by the climber or some one with some sort of link to them.

If Jack Osbourne where to write a climbing essay, I'd be quite interested to read it. But no more or no less than anyone else's climbing essays. Why is it that the "first lead" essays from the competition, do not make it into the news section? Because they aint famous! That's the only difference. It's inequality and it is at total odds with the spirit of mountaineering. Pulmonary oedema does not care about whether some one has been in O.K magazine, so nor shoulld you..... Arrggghhh!

Sorry, I just seen a world war II movie where the Algerians who helped liberate France were then screwed out of their war pensions so I'm not loving inequality right now.
 dannym2710 12 Dec 2007
In reply to all:

why the negativity towards jack, sure he was an insufferable drug taking prick, and more than a little wierd at times, but hes got off his arse and made the effort to turn his life around. so what if hes famous and thats the only way he could fund it? you could also say that because hes famous then why should he do these things? im fairly sure with his families money he could afford to sit at home and vegitate.
 jl100 12 Dec 2007
In reply to Ian Black: I dont think anyone is saying high altitude mountaineering is easy. Its one of many aspects of climb which depending on how far you take them can be either easy or hard. People are instead questioning the newsworthiness (not sure if thats a word?) of plans to reapeat a route which was climbed in 1953. Its like reporting 'aspirant E1 leader plans on trying Cenotaph corner this weekend' or at least i would be if the people involved weren't moderately famous, looking at the number of views it would seem it is newsworthy. But come on Everest, youd think the son of a musician would be a bit more creative.
Ackbar 12 Dec 2007
In reply to JoeL 90: I agree. And the number of views are probably due to people wanting to see what everyone would say about this, rather than because they though it was news worthy.
 The Lemming 12 Dec 2007

Good luck to Jack.

Here we have somebody living the dream and willing to have a go.

Or are we all sad little people, and I'm pointing the finger at those negative types, who don't have the financial clout who snipe at those who are blessed with the financial means to achieve all that they can in the climbing world?

Sadly my finances restrict me to the UK and occasionally Europe. However if I had more money I would go farther afield.

Jack has and is getting off his arse and doing stuff that I dream about doing. Or should I be slagging him off and saying that he should leave climbing to climbers?

I think not.
 Norrie Muir 12 Dec 2007
In reply to The Lemming:

Well said. Also, young Jack and old Rudolf are keeping some impoverished Mountain Guide or two in a job.
 jl100 12 Dec 2007
In reply to The Lemming:
>> Or are we all sad little people, and I'm pointing the finger at those negative types

I may be mistaken but didn't you recently discussing the biggest let downs youve climbed.

Im sure you could get the everest experience without all the money. Maybe you could do something like this: get pissed, bang your head against a wall several times then go for an enourmous run with a minefield at 1/4 of the way and 3/4 to simulate the Khumbu Glacier. Then pick a fight with some bouncers for the death zone part. Ive never done any of this high altitude stuff, but then this is UKC and id like to air my opinion of how to simulate such an ordeal.
ta
Joe
In reply to Norrie Muir:

Plus Ranulph has raised an enormous amount of money for charity by his exploits (however ego-driven they may be). Considering he's got a dodgy heart - hasn't he had to turn back once before? - there is something wonderfully loony about it, in the best sense.
 Mick Ward 12 Dec 2007
In reply to JoeL 90:

> Ive never done any of this high altitude stuff, but then this is UKC and id like to air my opinion of how to simulate such an ordeal.

Your opinion has much merit. Dirty Alex (top British superalpinist of the 1970s) used to employ such tactics in his strict training regime for the greater ranges.

Mick
 BrianT 21 Dec 2007
I say fair play to him. Many of us used to be dickheads when we were younger. We shouldn't be repeatedly tarred and feathered for what we did as teenagers. Your good mate Craig was a right little delinquent at school and look at him now.
I suspect Jack's not a bad lad at all, and the fact that he's moneyed as a result of his (Brummy, not yank!) dad and mum's accumulated wealth shouldn't be held against him. He's a climber, climbs better than many posters on here I suspect. If he wants to go up Everest, good for him. It may be "technically easy" and been climbed many times before but it's still the highest point on Earth, so has a natural attraction to anyone who loves mountains.
God I hate cynical armchair critics, sneering at the world and his feckin' dog.
 idiotproof 21 Dec 2007
In reply to BrianT:

I always think that the kids of rich and famous people always get this attitude.

Sit on their arse - Get criticised
Do stuff - Get criticised.

Can you imagine what would happen if Jack got a job in music- "only got that job because who is dad is"

If he got ajob as a road sweeper "whats he doing with that job. Its just for the publicity and is meaning someone else is unemployed when he has ALL that money".

Should kids who's parents are theives, lazy, stupid, druggys, alccies be penailised because of who there parent are....NO

Should he be penialised because his dad is rich....No

Damned if he does, damned if he doesnt
yogi 28 Dec 2007
In reply to idiotproof: I think Jacks cool, It was him who got me into climbing and now i cant stop!
so i hope he does it.
Yogie
jeffc 31 Dec 2007

Go, Jack. Can't see any difference between him and Bear Ghrylls, Rebecca Stephens, Jon Krakauer, Ranulph Fiennes . . . or even Sir Chris.
They all had their own agendas.
Removed User 31 Dec 2007
In reply to BrianT:
> God I hate cynical armchair critics, sneering at the world and his feckin' dog.

Absolutely. I bet these teenage nay sayers would be gadding about if their Daddy had loads of cash, sure as hell I wouldn't have wasted my time working my arse off for the odd three week trek in my thirties....

Children, just because someone else is doing something doesn't mean they are taking it off of you.
Good luck to Jack, whatever his background its a great personal challenge and I hope he achieves it, he's an example to a lot of people who otherwise might be sat on their backsides critisizing people and wasting their life...
 jl100 31 Dec 2007
In reply to Removed User: Im not sure if im a 'teenage nay sayer' or not. But i dont dislike the fact hes wealthy or that he took loads of drugs when he was young or the fact hes raising money for charity (anyone know which one?). I do find it intresting that someone planning to do something essentially rather unremarkable is newsworthy, although i didn't say it wasn't and Micks choice was obviously a good one given the debate its created. The target is simply dull and a bit boring and i think Jack should probably look at other areas and mountains with the sort of money hes got. Im not criticising him for having the money to do it, instead i think he should make more out of the opportunity cos everest is just boring.

I think you anti-cynics should remember this is UKC a britsh forum. You should try some american forum if you dont like, cynicism yourclimbing or something like that for the 'you can do it' optomistic outlook on life rather than dull british pragmatism.
ta
Joe
 AlisonS 31 Dec 2007
In reply to JoeL 90:
> (The target is simply dull and a bit boring and i think Jack should probably look at other areas and mountains with the sort of money hes got. Im not criticising him for having the money to do it, instead i think he should make more out of the opportunity cos everest is just boring.
>
Most mountaineers are likely to agree with you. But that's not the point. To raise money for charity and to get newspaper headlines people have to go for the "boring" challenges. Naturally we'd all think it was admirable if he did a new hard route in Patagonia that the general public have never heard of, but it's not going to raise much money for charity is it?
 jl100 31 Dec 2007
In reply to AlisonS: I think if raising money for charity is what he aims to acheive then obviously he needs publicity but if he gets someone whos good at advertising/PR then they could probably sell whatever takes his fancy for example with the Eiger NF for ranulph they adertised how awesomely dangerous it was by saying about all the people whove died on it and the fact its 6000ft high. They could use similar tactics for any aesthetic line in the world he wanted to do such as the Cassin ridge, Great trango or Trango tower are also both suitably impressive for anyone not just climbers. These would be better thought out and different targets, people climbing everest is boring as its been done so many times.
Siberian Express 31 Dec 2007
In reply to JoeL 90:

Climbing/mountaineering in general is boring to the average punter. The idea of it is exciting though and that's where Everest wins every time. Ask any person in the street what the highest mountain in the world is and, mostly, people will answer correctly. Ask them what the most difficult line is and they'll wander off to watch Jeremy Kyle. Everest is accessible, albeit in the imagination, to most non-climbing people and that's why it's a fundraisers dream.
 Paz 31 Dec 2007

I think the most amusing angle to this story is to consider Ozzie's reaction to it...

"You're going to what? Ev'rest! The largest f*cking mountain in the world! Are you f*cking mental or something? Where? Ne-f*cking-pal! Where the f*cks that? Sir f*cking Ranulph who?"
Puts phone down.
"Honestly I don't know what's up with the lad."
Jonno 31 Dec 2007

Hurrah !!!
bill2008fish 01 Jan 2008
Go for it, Jack! And if you could find room for me in your party, I would be glad to go with you. I could be useful at relieving the boredom of this long "plod". It needn't cost you much, I work cheap!
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC: what a waste of money.
 Toby S 01 Jan 2008
In reply to Franco cookson:

Marie Curie Cancer Care may care to differ.
Siberian Express 01 Jan 2008
In reply to Franco cookson:

Is it your cash or time? No? Then don't be a nob. Any money raised for the nominated charities is a good thing.
 briancoupland 01 Jan 2008
Jack is just a young lad who has got the climbing bug, as he says it's better than any drugs... good luck to him

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...