UKC

NEWS: Tomaz Humar Solos Annapurna's South Face

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 07 Nov 2007
Alpinist has received confirmation that Tomaz Humar has summited Annapurna (8091m), crowning a four-day solo mission on its 3000-meter south face first climbed by legends Chris Bonington, Dougal Haston and Don Whillans.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Al Evans 07 Nov 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Good grief, what are these boys eating these days?
 Mystery Toad 08 Nov 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Congratulations Tomaz, very well done.

This is the kind of journey that really gives climbers pause. The original South Face ascent as described by Chris Bonnington was where I discovered climbing; the mountain and people will always hold a certain magic for me.
But solo? .....in 4 days? Ye Gods. I'm full of admiration but what else is there to say?
I'll tell ya
(to waitress) Two coffees please!
 Mystery Toad 08 Nov 2007
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) Good grief, what are these boys (drinking) these days?

Why, coffee of course.

Dont think CB actually summited Annapurna South Face though he led the expedition. - It was just Don and Dougal that summited
 Mystery Toad 08 Nov 2007

Gee, sure is quiet in here Mick. Do these alpine news threads always draw such a small crowd? I don't understand it. I really don't. But it does make for a really cool echo in here....
"I'm the man who broke the bank at Monte CAAAAARLO"
....and I brought more coffee!
 Mystery Toad 08 Nov 2007
In reply to Lord of Starkness:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> Dont think CB actually summited Annapurna South Face though he led the expedition. - It was just Don and Dougal that summited

Quite right (if memory serves).
OP Michael Ryan 08 Nov 2007
In reply to Mystery Toad:
>
> Gee, sure is quiet in here Mick. Do these alpine news threads always draw such a small crowd

You make a common mistake. The news report is on the news page which gets around 3,000 views a day.

Not everyone likes to comment.
 Neil Adams 08 Nov 2007
>
> Gee, sure is quiet in here Mick. Do these alpine news threads always draw such a small crowd? I don't understand it. I really don't.

I'm not sure what there is to say about it really, other than WOW (which sort of goes without saying). It's so far out of the league of 99.99% of climbers (myself included) that it's hard to comprehend what it really means. Repeats of 10m grit routes don't really compare in that respect. And you're less likely to get away with posting "my mate soloed it in his wellies and reckoned it's only VDiff" on this kind of thread!
 Postmanpat 08 Nov 2007
I share (for once) your view. I remember Annapurna South face being published just as I started climbing and it was like a fantasy. This ascent is gobsmacking really. The skill,stamina and commitment is just incredible.
 BrianT 08 Nov 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Sit-down or conventional start?
 OliBee 08 Nov 2007

> "I'm the man who broke the bank at Monte CAAAAARLO"

I do declare..are...are...are
He must be a millionaire...are...are...are

Great achievement. Really inspiring.

Postmanpat 08 Nov 2007
> Alpinist has received confirmation that Tomaz Humar has summited Annapurna (8091m), crowning a four-day solo mission on its 3000-meter south face first climbed by legends Chris Bonington, Dougal Haston and Don Whillans.
>
Is why is this really news ??? (Sorry ,but some prat apparently has to say this for every thread you start so I'll be the prat this time.)
Profanisaurus Rex 08 Nov 2007

Well my mate soloed it in his wellies and reckoned it's only VDiff...

Profanisaurus Rex 08 Nov 2007

Oh, and what has he ever done on grit?
Anonymous 08 Nov 2007
In reply to Masood: dunno, but from base camp to summit is <4000m, so his ascent is a bit like climbing scafell pike on 4 consecutive days- i reckon i could do that
 Mystery Toad 08 Nov 2007
In reply to Postmanpat:

Remember the first time you saw a Whillans Box? lol
....baffles me that they withstood 1/2" of snow let alone Himalayan winds.
But yeah everyone involved in that brilliant wall, THE wall at the time, I'll always hold in highest esteem.
 Mystery Toad 08 Nov 2007
> (In reply to Mystery Toad)
> [...]
>
>
> You make a common mistake. The news report is on the news page which gets around 3,000 views a day.
>
> Not everyone likes to comment.

(ergo it's reeel quiet; anyway 3000 people woulda killed my little joke by dampening sound waves: no echo).
(i'll letcha get back to work. lol)

Yeah but did he do the sit start! the sad thing is if it were a boulder problem, it would be breaking news.. Thomas humar does lieing down start to Dreamtime..wowzer that is f*cking awesome dude britches!!??

Sign of the times, this sort of stuff would have had me bouncing off the walls in the past, forget Cessan and his lies this really is phenominal if he has dne the deed.
Anonymous 08 Nov 2007
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to Masood) dunno, but from base camp to summit is <4000m, so his ascent is a bit like climbing scafell pike on 4 consecutive days- i reckon i could do that

I'm sure standing on the summit of Scafell Pike feels almost identical to Annapurna. Apart from being absolutely nothing like it.
 Mystery Toad 08 Nov 2007
In reply to Conquistador of the usless:
> (In reply to Mystery Toad)
>
> Yeah but did he do the sit start! the sad thing is if it were a boulder problem, it would be breaking news.. Thomas humar does lieing down start to Dreamtime..wowzer that is f*cking awesome dude britches!!??
>
> Sign of the times, this sort of stuff would have had me bouncing off the walls in the past, forget Cessan and his lies this really is phenominal if he has dne the deed.

erm........pardon?
I haven't a clue what you are on about and usually that wouldn't bother me but now you've gone and misspelled
*Cassin.
SHAME!
Cassin told lies? sure hope you meant somebody else.

I'd just started climbing and went to see Whillans and Boysen give the Annapurna South Face lecture at the City Hall, Newcastle.

Martin was a polished if understated presenter of some stunning photography, but Don's dry humour had people rolling in the aisles on several occasions.

Where have you been, the bloke that claimed to have soloed the South face of Lhotse, Messner famously passed the gauntlet to the new generation declaring this the greatest achievement in Alpinism, it later turned out to be lies.
Profanisaurus Rex 09 Nov 2007
> (In reply to Conquistador of the usless)
> [...]
>
>
> erm........pardon?
> I haven't a clue what you are on about and usually that wouldn't bother me but now you've gone and misspelled
> *Cassin.
> SHAME!
> Cassin told lies? sure hope you meant somebody else.

He meant Tomo Cesen, who allegedly lied about what he had done..

Chris117 12 Nov 2007
In reply to Masood:

Awesome achievement by Tomaz Humar.
Just back from Annapurna Circuit and never even glimpsed Annapurna I.
Btw, whatever happened to Tomo Cesen?
I remember all the furore it caused back in the early 90's when he (apparently) lied about soloing Lhotse.
I remember he messed up by publishing a photo suposedly proving he'd made the summit, when he'd also pinched the photo from someone else. And Cesen allegedly made the Lhotse climb fuelled only by a few flasks of strong coffee.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...