UKC

NEWS: Scottish Free Ascent Of Grandes Jorasses Route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 26 Oct 2007
The Scottish team of Guy Robertson and Pete Benson has made the first free ascent of the thirty-eight pitch Gousseault route on the north face of the Grandes Jorasses.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
OP Michael Ryan 26 Oct 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

See also this thread at UKClimbing.com http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=267108
Iain Forrest 26 Oct 2007
It's a really impressive ascent, and a good article, but isn't it a wee bit late to be reporting it as "news" now?
In reply to Iain Forrest: Maybe mick should develop a new section for UKC, next to NEWS.

It should be called OLDS

;-O)
 Norrie Muir 26 Oct 2007
In reply to Iain Forrest:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)

but isn't it a wee bit late to be reporting it as "news" now?

Better late than never and it gives a European take on it - impressive piece of climbing.

We like, where possible, to put significant ascents on the news page as a matter of record (it means they are searchable). At the moment we don't get all, but we are trying to rectify that.

I haven't managed to find a date of ascent at either Scottish Climbs (trip report posted 18th Oct) or at Alpinist.com (an affiliate site of UKC) which was posted on 24th Oct. And Norrie posted this ascent at UKC on 18th Oct.

It's now the 26th October......you could ignore the News page at UKC and buy a magazine in a months time to read about it.
Iain Forrest 26 Oct 2007
> We like, where possible, to put significant ascents on the news page as a matter of record (it means they are searchable). At the moment we don't get all, but we are trying to rectify that.
Fair do's, thanks for the reply.

> It's now the 26th October......you could ignore the News page at UKC and buy a magazine in a months time to read about it.
Or read about it a week ago on the SC then UKC Forums!
Iain Forrest 26 Oct 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir:
> Better late than never and it gives a European take on it - impressive piece of climbing.
Aye, no arguing with that!
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Was just having a joke.

In fact, it quite good "news" as it's a decent reoprt on alpinist that I hadn't seen before.

> [...]

> [...]
> Or read about it a week ago on the SC then UKC Forums!

That's a common comment Iain. However, first not everyone reads the forums believe it or not, some just visit the news page (our stats give us that information). Second reports get buried in the forums.

What we are trying to achieve with the news page is to have a record of significant ascents along with relevant climbing community news.

Lastly we will be using the News page at UKC and other sources to compile year end reports to be published at UKC.

We are working toward making the news page at UKC a valuable record of climbing news. At the moment we average about 40+ new reports a month, something difficult to achieve in the print media.

Iain Forrest 26 Oct 2007
> reports get buried in the forums.
Would it help if people were to alert you directly about newsworthy items on this forum (and others)?
> [...]
> Would it help if people were to alert you directly about newsworthy items on this forum (and others)?

Yes it would. It is difficult for me to pick everything up as I have so much to do here; it is two full-time jobs.

A good example is the Totem Pole post that Sally posted. Stories like that I flag up with NEWS in caps if I see them: and then hopefully put on the news page later linked to that thread.

We are all news reporters these days, one of my roles is to facilitate.

Norrie Muir 26 Oct 2007
> (In reply to Iain Forrest)
>
> Yes it would. It is difficult for me to pick everything up as I have so much to do here; it is two full-time jobs.

I did not inform you, as, it was not the first time a Scot had done the route as such. We are used to Guy and Pete doing good stuff, it is the norm for that pair of long weekend warriors.
Iain Forrest 26 Oct 2007
I'll try to let you know when I see something, then. Cheers.
 BelleVedere 26 Oct 2007
> (In reply to Iain Forrest)
>
>
> I haven't managed to find a date of ascent at either Scottish Climbs (trip report posted 18th Oct) or at Alpinist.com (an affiliate site of UKC) which was posted on 24th Oct. And Norrie posted this ascent at UKC on 18th Oct.
>
Well if they have the date set right on their digital camera - then this should help - http://www.flickr.com/photos/7491393@N03/sets/72157602588223429/

Doug 26 Oct 2007
In reply to es:
well that says "Photos prises entre le 07 mar 2006 & 23 oct 2007" so either a few photos from an earlier attempt or a very slow climb !

(13-16 october looks most likely )
 BelleVedere 26 Oct 2007
In reply to Doug:

not to divulge to many stalking tactics, but each photo has a date when it was taken as well.

I guess the one of top cheesy mugs is the " us at the top one"
In reply to Doug:
> (In reply to es)
>
> (13-16 october looks most likely )

13-16 October it's exactly right.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...