GEAR REVIEW: Toby is not happy..Mad Rock Frenzy Lace

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 15 Oct 2007
"Looking for a replacement I tried on just about every model of shoe my local shop had before buying the Mad Rock Frenzy lace. In many ways I was quite happy that this model fitted me well as Mad Rock bill the Frenzy as an all-day shoe, particularly designed with crack climbing in mind, exactly what I was looking for. In my experience, what manufacturers call “all-day shoes” are often a good place to start for those of us with wide feet."

However Toby A found them lacking.

Read Toby's review here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=544
 TobyA 16 Oct 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

I should add, I've had the shoes replaced now with a new pair so as long as the weather holds up I should get chance to try the replacements on a few routes before the snow comes, and see if they stay in one piece or not. I'll update the review to reflect the findings at some point in the future.
 Flatlander 19 Oct 2007
In reply to TobyA:

I have a pair of hookers that have lasted a year of climbing both inside and out. The rubber is now starting to wear down and I know have a pair oddf Mugens but the only complant is the smell
 TobyA 19 Oct 2007
In reply to Flatlander:

> I have a pair of hookers that have lasted a year of climbing both inside and out.

Yep - I've got mates who really like their Mad Rocks as well, but unfortunately my experience was different - they literally began to start coming apart on the first day of use. The shop has exchanged them now so I've got a new pair, but I've only done one route in them so I'll need a few more climbs to be able to say if we should give Mad Rock the benefit of the doubt, and that I was just really unlucky. Nevertheless consistency is obviously an important part of being a quality manufacturer.

I've worked in gear shops so I know that no company is perfect all the time, but some are pretty near to it. Shoes aren't safety-vital so perhaps companies can get away with some bad batches (it definitely seems to happen from time to time), but imagine BD or DMM turning out a "bad batch" of krabs!? No one in that case is going to moan and grumble "bugger... I'm going to have to take this back to the shop now and get it exchanged - once my two broken legs have healed..."

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...