UKC

NEWS: BMC publishes national Crag Code

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 11 Oct 2007
The BMC has produced a new code of conduct - the Crag Code - to encourage the sustainable use of crags in England and Wales. The code consists of ten important reminders for people visiting our crags - from respecting the rock and other people, to keeping to established footpaths and keeping dogs under control.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Mark Stevenson 11 Oct 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: A big step forward, especially as regards promoting the RAD, but as it stands it's woefully short on detail.

If they are doing a long term campaign they need to provide more detail on many of the 'ten reminders'. This should be easy to do with larger posters/articles etc.

'Repsect the rock, local climbing ethics and other people'

A nice statement, but it will mean bugger all to a novice climber without expanding it to at least another 10 bullet points just for that one.

Anywat, it's a move in the right direction.
Sarah G 11 Oct 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
Love the irony- Access- check the BMC database.
No mention of refraining from trespass- but then, why should there be when the BMC tacitly approves such activity when it suits? Thinking about the tor in devon here.

Sxx
 tony 11 Oct 2007

Do people really need to be told that?
 Glyn Jones 11 Oct 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I'm afraid I'm prepared to disturb the wildlife at Dumby - especially when they are throwing buckie bottles at me.
 The Pylon King 11 Oct 2007

11. No groups of more than 4 students

12. No top roping any starred routes
 yorkshiregrit 11 Oct 2007
In reply to The Pylon King:

13. No tedious whining about top-roping.
 CJD 11 Oct 2007

that looks very like the Countryside Code, but with the addition of the 'access database' mention.

I liked the 'support the rural economy' line.
In reply to tony: #10 "support the rural economy - buy locally" is a point worth making, and not obvious
 Enty 11 Oct 2007

Sorry to be part of the UKC howitzer of negativity but those are the kind of points that hopefully my 18 month old daughter already knows
Very sad that people need to be reminded of those things.

The Ent ™
 TMM 11 Oct 2007

Congratulations to the BMC.

The new crag code can now be easily remembered (if you re-arrange the points) as the catchy mnemonic 'Dr Flaw Pert'. Ideal for teaching beginners.

D ogs
R isk
F ootpaths
L itter
A access
W ildlife
P arking
E conomy
R espect
T oilet
OP Michael Ryan 11 Oct 2007
Not only is this a good idea to remind people of good crag behaviour, essential for beginner climbers, but also it sends a good message to land owners and land management organisations.

It could do with some snazzy graphics mind.

How about printing the Crag Code on a credit card sized piece of plastic which you can buy for £10 and clip onto your rucksack.

The £10 goes to Access and Conservation Trust (ACT)

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/Pages.aspx?page=70

And the Crag Code card on your rucksack shows other that you are committed to good crag behaviour - in fact you would be an ambassador for THE CODE and you can PARLEZ with other climbers about it.
 TMM 11 Oct 2007

Or for the truly committed you could change your name by deed poll to 'Dr. Flaw Pert'. That would certainly be a conversation starter with other climbers you meet at the crag.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...