UKC

NEWS: Planet Fear Demise

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 24 Sep 2007
It appears that Narrowcast Media trading as Planet Fear will go into receivership this week. The company seems to have folded as a result of several factors: The complex nature of share ownership and the generally tough trading conditions within the outdoor trade over the past 12 months which have been exacerbated by a glut of unsold stock and over-subscribed retail coverage within the UK.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 CJD 24 Sep 2007
In reply to UKC News:

(exacerbated, not exasperated)
 TobyA 24 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD: I'd be very exasperated by those exacerbating conditions!
 David Peters 24 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD: Either way, good luck to the staff and others employed by PF they always seemed a helpful friendly bunch to me. Hope they find something else soon.
 CJD 24 Sep 2007
In reply to TobyA:

ha ha, good point!
 CJD 24 Sep 2007
In reply to David Peters:

yes, agreed.
 Skyfall 24 Sep 2007
In reply to TobyA:

I'm not so sure what is so complex about share ownership either, which is all a bit exasperating...
mike swann 24 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> (exacerbated, not exasperated)

And a dearth is a shortage (of unsold stock?).
 tobyfk 24 Sep 2007
In reply to UKC News:

Bad luck. I never had any dealings with the store but the website articles were at a commendably high standard. Will the Rock-n-Ruin/ Rockfax/ UKC empire be bidding for what remains?
 seagull 24 Sep 2007
In reply to UKC News:

They're still flogging some shoes off at low prices. Are Boreal Mutants worth £40 to use as a spare pair or are they as bad as some people make out?
 CJD 24 Sep 2007
In reply to tobyfk:

oo, it would be good if the planetfear training articles could be saved.
 Fume Troll 24 Sep 2007
In reply to UKC News: That's a pity, they were very helpful and often had good prices. The holidays were good too.

I dare say the main players will carry on elsewhere though.

Cheers,

FT.
In reply to seagull: Not sure I would want to send my cash to a business that is just about to go into insolvency....
 seagull 24 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Bradley:

Very true.
 hutchm 24 Sep 2007
In reply to UKC News:

Most stores would be quite pleased with 'a dearth of unsold stock'.

Sorry to see it fold.
 Duncan I 24 Sep 2007
In reply to UKC News:

A great and unique website and great pre- and aftersales service from my point-of-view as a customer on several occassion. I hope they can find a way out of this and go back to what they do so well as a team. Good luck!
 Jenn 24 Sep 2007
In reply to UKC News:

Hmm, not too surprised. The company seemed incompetent to say the least.

I can't remember how many times I ordered (or tried to order) from them only to have an e-mail a day or so later telling me they did not have my items in stock. Surely it is not that difficult for an on-line company to have its stock accurately reflected.

The most amusing variation on this theme was when they debited my account for something I ordered via their website when they never stocked the product and according to an e-mail from them, had no idea if they ever would!
 seagull 24 Sep 2007
In reply to Jenn:

Re my query above they say that they are still despatching orders although your post doesn't exactly inspire me to send them any money.

However it's only 40 quid and if the shoes are any good I may risk it. So further to my original query, has anyone used Boreal Mutants and are they rubbish or what?

Cheers.
 IainWhitehouse 24 Sep 2007
In reply to seagull: They are good if you have a fairly high volume foot. My low volume girly foot didn't fill them.

I would have no qualms still supporting PF.

Iain
 seagull 24 Sep 2007
In reply to IainWhitehouse:

Sorry for being thick but by "low volume" do you mean narrow. My feet are quite narrow so perhaps this aint a good idea.
Removed User 24 Sep 2007
In reply to Duncan I:

I agree. In my experience their service was good but there are loads of web-based outdoor retailers offering good to excellent service (and a few offering very shoddy service), a wider product range and more competitive pricing.

It's a shame for the PF guys but I'm not at all surprised by this news. PF never really seemed to know what it was about, who it's audience was and where it should focus - info, retail, news, holidays, events, sponsorship, own-brand clothing, training, travel guides, adventure racing, forums etc. etc. I think it's suffered because of it. It's never really excelled at anything and it doesn't have the same web community that UKC has, so little/no advertising revenue.

The articles were generally good though. Perhaps this is something that UKC can capitalise on (not that UKC articles are bad mind you). I also really liked their e-mail sales promotions, although I now understand that offering 30% off your entire product range isn't perhaps the most sustainable strategy

Hopefully they can manage to salvage something out of this.
In reply to seagull:
> (In reply to Jenn)
>
> doesn't exactly inspire me to send them any money.
>

I doubt there is any risk to customers from making a purchase while the site is still live. I am sure they will appreciate any sales they can get at this time.
 Jenn 24 Sep 2007
In reply to seagull:

They did offer me a refund, but it was only after numerous e-mails. This was also about a year ago.
 thin bob 24 Sep 2007
In reply to UKC News:
bggr. they were [and will remain so, i hope] nice people; the website was one of the best & the articles were great. ordering wasn't always smooth, but i'd rather spend money with an independant. made a change for a company to have a sense of humour as well.
good luck to all at PF.
 TRNovice 24 Sep 2007
In reply to Jenn:

In addition to Jenn's experience (which I have shared), I have also ordered one size of a garment only for them to deliver a totally different size, together with a note saying that they are out of stock, but maybe I would like to try the different size. I then have the hassle of sending back something that I didn't order and didn't want. I have never had those types of problems with other places like Rock & Run or Needle Sports.
 TRNovice 24 Sep 2007
In reply to TRNovice:

BTW I agree that the articles were interesting, but that doesn't really make up for them being bad (at least in the last 6 months) at their core business as an e-tailer. Having a web-site that a) tells you they have stock, b) allows you to place an order, c) takes all your delivery and payment information and d) sends you a confirmation e-mail and then has this followed the next day by another e-mail saying that they don't actually have the product is pretty shoddy IMO.
 andybenham 24 Sep 2007
In reply to Jenn: can't say I agree with the negative sentiments expressed by some here. I ordered from them a number of times - including once last week from the closing down clearance sale. Items usually arrived quickly and I had no problems with wrong items/ out of stock, etc. The dvd I ordered last week (supramonte for £2.50 - bargain) came next day, even though I ordered it after lunch.

These things are often just luck of the draw when dealing with online companies - few businesses get it right 100% of the time.

Plus I always found their articles to be interesting. Generally, Andy KP & Dave MaCleod's sites, Planet Fear & UKC have been the main sites of interest for news, articles & reviews, though very hard to beat Needlesports for online shopping. Just so damn cheap and no postage costs.
 RocknRoll 24 Sep 2007
In reply to seagull:

I ordered from Planet Fear several times in the past year and I have always had good advice and a prompt reliable service. My latest order was last week and I received the goods without any problems, they even honoured a double discount which I was fortunate to apply to my order but was not intended to be entitled to .
 andi turner 24 Sep 2007
In reply to seagull:

Yeah I saw these, a very good price for a good boot. Maybe consider the crux's too. Boreal will be releasing some low volume boots in the new season if you have a very narrow foot.
 Al Evans 24 Sep 2007
In reply to UKC News: Errrrr, just what does this mean? Is it just the marketing side of Planet Fear or its courses and hols and website and everything?
 Chris the Tall 24 Sep 2007
In reply to Al Evans:
Shane told me a couple of weeks ago that the holidays would be continuing but would be run by someone else.

The problem with the holidays was that the ones to Kalymnos were over subscribed, but they had to cancel ones to other destinations. Which is a pity cos I liked the fact that they gave me a chance to climb in locations like Val di Mello
In reply to Chris the Tall: I hope the coaching holidays continue as well - they are superb.
 u1jd 27 Sep 2007
In reply to Sam M:

The problem that PF have always had is too much outlay, buying too much stock and the wrong stock.

Trying to get a healthy turnover was always difficult because it wasn´t something tangable until the shop arrived by the edge - which was always dead and trying to flog off stuff that no one wants cheap...

still its a shame...

Si
 Trouble 28 Sep 2007
In reply to UKC News:

Hi All

Quick note - PlanetFear are no longer doing refunds.
Penny4 16 Oct 2007
In reply to Trouble:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> Hi All
>
> Quick note - PlanetFear are no longer doing refunds.

How are you meant to get your money back on goods not recieved?
Maria Dixon 16 Oct 2007
In reply to UKC News:

Is the Sheffield shop still open or has it already closed?
In reply to Penny4: If they are in liquidation you will not get a refund unless the funds went into a trust account.

You could try to claim it back from your CC company under their insurance?
fish08 16 Oct 2007
In reply to Penny4: They are a honest bunch, so I seriously doubt they wouldn't have sent it even if the order was made on their final days. With the post being what it was in the last few weeks, it may just be heavily delayed.
Bergshrund 16 Oct 2007
In reply to fish08:

I ordered from them after they went into liquidation... it came very quickly... more likely the postal strike is still reverberating...
c00kie_monster 18 Oct 2007
In reply to UKC News: I am having the same problem, I ordered a jacket on the 1st of October and I'm still waiting for delivery, hopefully it's just delayed from the postal strike
bowlsey 19 Oct 2007
Likewise - ordered on the 2nd, nothing has arrived yet!
In reply to bowlsey: Are they still answering emails?
c00kie_monster 19 Oct 2007
In reply to Richard Bradley: Apparently not. I e-mailed help@planetfear.com and customerservice@planetfear.com both of which were returned by my mail administrator with errors.
dinkypen 19 Oct 2007
In reply to c00kie_monster:

have you tried calling them?
Penny4 19 Oct 2007
In reply to dinkypen: All you get is an answerphone message saying messages full!
 Mark Kemball 19 Oct 2007
In reply to UKC News: Their website still seems to be working and has been updated today. http://www.planetfear.com/news.asp
 Mehmet Karatay 19 Oct 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to tobyfk)
>
> oo, it would be good if the planetfear training articles could be saved.

At the very very least there is the Internet Archive.
http://web.archive.org/web/20070428194859/www.planetfear.com/search_article...
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.planetfear.com

Still having them more accessible when the site goes would be amazing.

Mehmet
recneps 22 Oct 2007
In reply to UKC News:
I also put an order in for some Katana's which never turned up, thought I was getting a good deal!

Does anyone know who is handling their affairs in terms of administration/liquidation/ receivership? I intend to get my money back one way or another.
In reply to recneps:

If you have been charged I think you will find that you have been refunded shortly after.
In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKClimbing.com: Strangely, there is no info regarding insolvency at Companies House.
dinkypen 22 Oct 2007
According to publicly available info on the Interweb, they have not been dissolved or liquidated and the company is still 'trading'. A "Return of allotments of shares issued for cash or by way of capitalisation of reserves (bonus issues)" was filed on the 20 September so it looks like they may be trying to secure capital (possibly through a new investor) in order to carry on trading. I am surprised that Shane has not been keeping people a bit better informed though.... but hopefully there will be some news shortly.
 Simon Caldwell 22 Oct 2007
In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKClimbing.com:
> If you have been charged I think you will find that you have been refunded shortly after.

Why?

They're still taking orders, and still updating their website with new articles....
 Simon Caldwell 22 Oct 2007
In reply to dinkypen:
> I am surprised that Shane has not been keeping people a bit better informed

Probably too busy training for the OMM
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Shane told me that was what they were doing a couple of weeks ago although I understand that the web company that owned some shares have bought the whole lot now. If you have any issues with being charged and not receiving goods then I guess you could try calling Quba +44 (0)114 279 7779 or http://www.quba.co.uk

c00kie_monster 22 Oct 2007
In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKClimbing.com: I just checked my account and I have indeed been refunded my money, shame I couldn't get my bargain jacket though. Thanks.
 slowtrain49 22 Oct 2007
In reply to UKC News: The climbing shoes were 1/2 price me and my bro and my mate bought pairs. Im glad there was no probs getting the money back however. It's a shame i liked planetfear.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...