NEWS: BBC- Doctors in the Death Zone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Briggs 20 Sep 2007
The Caudwell Xtreme Everest expedition placed a research team on the summit of Everest in May 2007 and made the first ever measurement of the level of oxygen in human blood at 8400m, on the Balcony of Everest. This was the centrepiece of an extensive and continuing programme of research into hypoxia (low oxygen levels) and human performance at extreme altitude aimed at improving the care of the critically ill and other patients where hypoxia is a fundamental problem.

The expedition was filmed by the BBC and IMAX. The BBC are showing two one hour films this month:

Sunday 23 September 2007, 8pm, BBC Two
Sunday 30 September 2007, 8pm, BBC Two

Read more at: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Mark Stevenson 20 Sep 2007
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor: Just got an email this week from one of my friends who was on this exped.

Thanks for saving me the effort of starting a thread about it myself.
brothersoulshine 20 Sep 2007
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor:
> The Caudwell Xtreme Everest expedition placed a research team on the summit of Everest in May 2007 and made the first ever measurement of the level of oxygen in human blood at 8400m, on the Balcony of Everest.

There's a standard intensive care textbook that has a figure for the PO2 in blood at Everest's summit. The book's written by T.E. Oh and has been around for quite a few years. Off the top of my head the figure is an unfeasably low 1.6KPa.

I wonder where Oh got the figure from if this was the first time it's been measured?
Dr.Strangeglove 20 Sep 2007
In reply to brothersoulshine:
probably did some maths?
pAo2 = (atmospheric pressure-water pressure)0.21 - paC02/R

or similar, gives some pretty nasty numbers........
 stevev 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor: Followed by another everest programme at 9pm

Everest ER

Sunday, 23 Sep 2007
9:00pm - 10:00pm (1 Hour )
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BBC4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life in the mountain's base camp clinic. Set up by Dr Luanne Freer in 2003, the facilities allow doctors to spend 10 weeks every spring treating climbers who have been injured or become unwell in the thin atmosphere. In the village of Pherice, 1,000 metres below the base camp, British doctor Alice Murray offers a similar service, where she also helps yak herders and lodge owners with health care
 stevev 22 Sep 2007
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor: There are a couple of radio podcasts about the exped, originally broadcast on R2
http://www.bbc.co.uk//radio4/science/xtremeeverest.shtml
Lindsay Woolf 30 Sep 2007
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor:

Hi Tom,

I'm not too sure if you will know this but do you think the BBC will repeat this series? I missed tonight's episode and I'm gutted! I don't have access to Sky plus e.t.c either...

Thanks in advance.

Linds
Ian Poley 01 Oct 2007
In reply to Lindsay Woolf: Hi, saw both episodes, very interesting prog. I teach A Level PE and wished I'd had the sense to video it. If anyone has a copy on VHS/DVD please let me know (prepared to pay)!

Cheers!
rich 01 Oct 2007
In reply to Ian Poley: get your school librarian to contact the bbc (or the lea media liason person or some such)?

i did something similar in higher ed and they got get hold of a fair bit of stuff
 L.A. 01 Oct 2007
In reply to Lindsay Woolf: Its repeated @ 3-05am tuesday morning 2nd oct BBC1- youve got 6hrs to set the video!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...