UKC

NEWS: Bernard Newman Steps Down At Climber Magazine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 12 Sep 2007
Bernard Newman of Bingley, West Yorkshire, the editor of Climber magazine for the last 9 years is stepping down October 1st and is being replaced by Climber's assistant editor Kate Burke. Burke's first full issue as the new editor will be available in December. Newman will still be associated with the magazine as ...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 aln 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: That's a shame. Maybe it'll get better.
Yorkspud 12 Sep 2007
In reply to aln:

Or maybe 'That's great, maybe it'll get worse!'
 Morgan Woods 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Yorkspud:

no more how to abseil articles please.
 jimkeeley 12 Sep 2007
In reply to aln:

what would you do to make it better?

Jim
 aln 12 Sep 2007
In reply to jimkeeley: Less stuff about the oh my god I'm going to go into a coma if I read another word about the Peak District.
 Rob Kennard 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Does this mean that Climber will be now be moving into THIS century, and allow digital photo submissions?
TimS 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Rob Kennard:Think they've been allowing digital submissions for a few months now.

re: Peak articles I can't remember the last time I read one in Climber. What sort of articles would you prefer?
sam the man 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Hopefully this will be a turning point for the mag. Fingers crossed we might even see some editorial from the new editor....
Sam
 aln 12 Sep 2007
In reply to TimS: You haven't read an article in Climber about the Peak District for a while? So you haven't read Climber for 20 odd years?
TimS 12 Sep 2007
In reply to aln: A while as in a few months.
Please answer my question.
sam the man 12 Sep 2007
In reply to TimS: In their defence, they don't seem to be putting out many peak articles. It doesn't stop them from being rubbish though.
Sam
 andi turner 12 Sep 2007
In reply to TimS:

It's the usual response: too many 'Peak Articles', despite there being few, as you say.
 Stuart S 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Does this mean they might stop their irritatingly twee "Scottish word of the month"?

One of the reasons I cancelled my subscription - if I want to be patronised to, I can use UKC!
 tobyfk 12 Sep 2007

I thought Bernard Newman did a good job, especially at Mountain and in the earlier part of his time at Climber.
 aln 12 Sep 2007
In reply to TimS: Tim, I kinda take back kinda half of wot I said. I guess I could write the articles I want to see. But they wouldn't be published. I actually think Climber has consistently been the best of the British climbing magazines over the past 25 years. But to anybody who says " there goes somebody else moaning about how the climbing mags keep going on about the Peak District..."
That's because the mags do keep boring on about the Peak District. Maybe that's why their selling less.
task-o 12 Sep 2007
In reply to jimkeeley:
> (In reply to aln)
>
> what would you do to make it better?

Put more pictures of Gareth Parry bouldering on the front cover. There's never any of those.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 12 Sep 2007
In reply to andi turner:

Like this month - Black Rocks!

Chris
 andi turner 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Ok, but can you actually come up with any evidence of a bias to the Peak District? After all, it the most accessible national park to the majority of the nation. If there is genuinely 10 Peak articles for every North Wales one then fair enough, but I really don't think there is.

Besides it means a lot more to me and the majority of readers than the race between the Latvians and the Canadians to the first ascent of the NW face of some unknown mountain in some province of China.
 Bob 12 Sep 2007

Be nice if you reported in English rather than Americanese: "Bernard Newman of Bingley, West Yorkshire, the editor of Climber magazine for the last 9 years is stepping down October 1st "

vs. "Bernard Newman of Bingley, West Yorkshire, the editor of Climber magazine for the last 9 years is stepping down on 1st October"

Back to school young Michael

boB
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Folks, at least those who buy Climber will be able to look at a picture of Kate Burke whilst reading the editorial...let's face it, Bernie's hang dog looks just don't cut it.

I've spent a weekend scrambling and climbing with Kate and to honest she's not only great fun but fit as f*ck.
sam the man 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Does anyone know if she is planning any big changes, or will it be the same old same old?
Sam
OP Michael Ryan 12 Sep 2007
In reply to sam the man:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) Does anyone know if she is planning any big changes, or will it be the same old same old?
> Sam

Well first thing she should do is register at UKClimbing.com as Kate Burke ...Editor...Climber magazine and start interacting.........15 mins a day or so

We will even give her a free Commercial Profile that costs £200.00

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/commercial.html

Then Climber should take out one of these packages that gives them cross-site exposure.

http://ads.ukclimbing.com/packages.html

Mick

sam the man 12 Sep 2007
> (In reply to sam the man)
> [...]
>
> Well first thing she should do is register at UKClimbing.com as Kate Burke ...Editor...Climber magazine and start interacting.........15 mins a day or so

I concurr-there's plenty of criticism/comments on here about mags in general and climber in particular-a read of that would be surely a good plan. Maybe they do read it, but they don't seem to act upon it, and so it makes people who care (like me) think that their opinions don't matter, some feedback on our feedback (if you like) would be nice. I look forward to seeing if and how the mag will change.
Sam
 lummox 13 Sep 2007
In reply to andi turner:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs)
>
> After all, it the most accessible national park to the majority of the nation.

Which nation would that be ?

Also, why would some dude`s ascent of an E13 any more relevant than an ascent of a Himalayan peak ?
 timjones 13 Sep 2007
In reply to TimS:
> (In reply to Rob Kennard)Think they've been allowing digital submissions for a few months now.
>
> re: Peak articles I can't remember the last time I read one in Climber. What sort of articles would you prefer?.

Didn't you see the 100 best climbs article recently.

10 Peak Grit
10 Peak Limestone

10 Scottish Routes

10 Yorkshire Grit
10 Yorkshire Limetone

10 Lakes Routes

Somehow I managed to perceive a certain bias in the article

In reply to Chris Craggs: The black rocks one is the first I remember in a while is only 4 or so pages.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 13 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Bradley:

I wasn't actually defending any actual or perceived Peak bias, just explaining why it might be so.

Not sure why my comment was pulled either!

Chris
 Morgan Woods 13 Sep 2007
In reply to timjones:
> (In reply to TimS)
> [...]
>
> Didn't you see the 100 best climbs article recently.
>
> >
> Somehow I managed to perceive a certain bias in the article

yes nothing above E1.
In reply to sam the man:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> some feedback on our feedback (if you like) would be nice.

I agree too. It's easier to be forgiving when there is a personal touch, and often criticism is intended to be helpful and not hurtful.
Something like "100 best Climbs" could easily be repackaged as "My 100 favourite climbs and why" and turn personal bias into personal touch.
TimS 13 Sep 2007
In reply to timjones:
> (In reply to TimS)
> [...]
>
> Didn't you see the 100 best climbs article recently.
>

Ha forgot about that one, but as mentioned earlier the most popular area in this country is the gritstone by some way, so I only think it's right that a climbing magazine represents this bias in it's articles.
sam the man 13 Sep 2007
In reply to TimS: But why is it the most popular? We all know it isn't the best ;p I think it may have something to do with OTE's serious peak bias-grit on every cover, grit in the news, grit articles etc, which has left a generation thinking that it is the be all and end all. I have met lots of people who tell me that grit is the best in the world, but they don't seem to have climbed at many other places-so why do they think that? Discuss.
Sam
TimS 13 Sep 2007
In reply to sam the man: Because the peak and yorkshire grit are the closest crags to the largest population centres in the country except london. Convenience is often the most important factor in people's choices of where they go climbing.
sam the man 13 Sep 2007
In reply to TimS: Yeah, that's why they're the omst popular, but why are they the best??
Sam
TimS 13 Sep 2007
In reply to sam the man: Best what? You said you thought it was most popular because of OTE's coverage.
sam the man 13 Sep 2007
In reply to TimS: Sorry, I meant that it was partially popular because lots of people think it is the best crag, which was partially as a result of the mag's grit bias, rather than the opposite way round.
Sam
TimS 13 Sep 2007
In reply to sam the man: OK, some of the things that could make people think the grit is the best:
Best bouldering in the counrty? Yes
Best Single Pitch Trad in the Country? Yes
Largest volume of climbs for sub VS climbers (i.e most of the climbing population)? Yes.
Most convenient venues for a large amount of the population in terms of distance to drive and walk in: Yes

So the grit has a lot of plus points for it, obviously it's going to score lowly on climbs with an adventurous nature (although I've heard some Hen Cloud climbs might fall into this category!) and there aren't any day long climbs unless you have a particularly bad day out.

So I guess in my opinion the mags are right to have a grit bias, as for the general climbing population it does contain a lot of factors to make it the best climbing medium.
 Apollo 13 Sep 2007
In reply to jimkeeley:

1. A fully interactive website with all previous additions free to download as PDF's (they might as well as you can pick most old mags up with a charity box donation in your local climbing shop). Use of new mediums such as video clip how to guides etc on the new site.
2. Actively seek out new correspondents! I'm Bored of the same styles of material rolled out month after month by the same people. This is what the editor should be doing and hasn't for sometime - this also goes for Climb magazine.
3. Consider going to a quarterly production, thus condensing the quality.

There's plenty more ideas, none of which are rocket science.
 Tyler 13 Sep 2007

On a seriosu note does anyone know what Kate Burke's credentials are for doing this job? I know she's been assistant editor (for how long?) but given that the magazine seems to be going backwards for a few years that doesn't seem much of a recommendation (I'm thinking Steve MacLaren and the FA here), she doesn't have a particulalry high profile as far as I can tell. I think she does those interview things which are generally pretty dull, not dismilar to Smash Hits interviews of yore; what's your favcolourfoodbouder problem etc.

Removed User 13 Sep 2007

Never liked his politics, never liked the fact that he brought his politics into the magazine, never liked his photo's, never liked the fact that he turned an editorial into an extension of the contents page.

I stuck with 'Climber' for a good number of years after he took on the editorship but had to give up in the end.

I hope the new lass makes a better job of it.
Yorkspud 13 Sep 2007
In reply to TimS:
> (In reply to sam the man) OK, some of the things that could make people think the grit is the best:
> Best bouldering in the counrty? Yes
> Best Single Pitch Trad in the Country? Yes

Don't tell Northumberland boulderes that

Largets concentration single pitch trad yes - best? Hmmm..Pembroke

TimS 13 Sep 2007
In reply to Yorkspud: There is some good bouldering in Northumberland but it is limited in comparison to the grit - I think even most Northumberland boulderers would agree with this.
 tony 13 Sep 2007
In reply to Apollo:
> 2. Actively seek out new correspondents! I'm Bored of the same styles of material rolled out month after month by the same people. This is what the editor should be doing and hasn't for sometime - this also goes for Climb magazine.

> There's plenty more ideas, none of which are rocket science.

One of the other things an editor should be doing is editing - taking a piece by an author and making it better, and in the process, developing the skills and ability of the author. As far as I can tell, articles are untouched by any kind of editorial intervention - Scott Muir's article a year or so ago being a prime example.

It would also be nice to have a member of the editorial staff who knew the difference between its and it's.
 sutty 13 Sep 2007
In reply to sam the man:

LOL, look at your gallery, tow oictures odf grit and nothing else;

http://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/author.html?id=7292

There are usually about 6 pages in the mags worth reading, nearly a pound a page it seems overall. If you read them a few years the same sort of article gets recycled so after three years it all looks stale.

Perhaps they should put the how to tie the alpine butterfly on the website, along with the other recycled stuff and go for better articles on out of the way places, or have crag of the month like the crag of the day on here with routes and inspiring pictures.

Pillar, anyone seen an article on there recently?
 Apollo 13 Sep 2007
In reply to tony:
Fully agree, spot on!
Yorkspud 13 Sep 2007
In reply to tony:

I'd like to see articles on routes I've done saying how hard they are.
In reply to sam the man:

Don't forget probably the most important reason (Peak) grit gets so much coverage - it is easy to get great photos, especially when compared with mountain crags and sea cliffs.

Chris
OP Michael Ryan 13 Sep 2007
In reply to Tyler:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> On a seriosu note does anyone know what Kate Burke's credentials ..........she doesn't have a particulalry high profile as far as I can tell.

That's a good thing.

As long as she has a wide view of what climbing is and what people want, as well as a good editorial touch, a good network and can inspire and motivate a diverse number of contributors as well as nurture them.......that's what counts....the finished product.....doesnae matter if the editor is famous or can climb hard (but they had better enjoy it).

Apollo is right when he says a fully interactive website rich in content combined with "3. Consider going to a quarterly production, thus condensing the quality."

Then.....Advertising will follow, maybe even lead and for the parent company, Warners, that is the bottom line and what the game is all about.

Mick

>
> Don't forget probably the most important reason (Peak) grit gets so much coverage - it is easy to get great photos, especially when compared with mountain crags and sea cliffs.

Bloody Peaky!
reidyold boy 13 Sep 2007
I'm pleased, haven't read it for years as his editorials made me feel depressed!

>
> Bloody Peaky!

Cheeky oik,

Blanca/Barcelona//Ariege/Yorks/N'umberland/NY Moors/Lofoten/Fjordland/Gran Canaria/Nice

and where have you climbed this year?

Chris

Spain, USA, Scotland, England and Wales.
 gingerkate 13 Sep 2007
In reply to thread:
If anyone reading this should see Bernard, could they pass on that Fabian Hamilton asks to be remembered to him? I saw him (Fabian H) a few months back and he was fondly remembering time with Bernard and I promised to pass on his good wishes to Bernard next time I saw him but I've not seen him. Cheers!
 timjones 13 Sep 2007
>
> Don't forget probably the most important reason (Peak) grit gets so much coverage - it is easy to get great photos, especially when compared with mountain crags and sea cliffs.

Maybe they should employ some more talented photographers then
In reply to timjones:

Don't think talent has anything to do with it actually!

Chris
 Simon 13 Sep 2007

Good luck Bernard to where pastures new take you - I think that the magazine has been great the last few years and Bernard has struck the right balance - but the "how to abseil" stuff has been a bit too much..

Loved the BMC & Bouldering stuff and Horscroft is as ever - "entertaining...."

its good to critique - but then never has a monument been made for a critique...

si
 timjones 13 Sep 2007
> (In reply to timjones)
>
> Don't think talent has anything to do with it actually!
>

In that case how does Cubby take better photos of mountain routes than I've ever seen of any grit route?
 jessie 13 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I thought he did a excellant job.Always a good selection of articles.I have to say your forums are becomming a place where all people do is whinge including yourself you sad people .
 Mark Sheridan 13 Sep 2007
In reply to andi turner:
>
> Besides it means a lot more to me and the majority of readers than the race between the Latvians and the Canadians to the first ascent of the NW face of some unknown mountain in some province of China.

Agreed! Hands up anyone else who has never read the tedious and copious pages of Berghaus-sponsored mountaineering news that virtually doubles the thickness of 'Climb' every month.
In reply to timjones: better subject matter
 Morgan Woods 14 Sep 2007
In reply to Apollo:
> (In reply to jimkeeley)
>
> 1. A fully interactive website with all previous additions free to download as PDF's (they might as well as you can pick most old mags up with a charity box donation in your local climbing shop). Use of new mediums such as video clip how to guides etc on the new site.
>

excellent idea which i've suggestedto other mags. as somebody who climbs fairly often in europe it would be nice to be able to download sections of the back issues rather than having to track down the mag itself.
In reply to jessie:
> I thought he did a excellant job.Always a good selection of articles.I have to say your forums are becomming a place where all people do is whinge including yourself you sad people .

Intelligent reading entails a assessment, analysis and comment. It is not whinging and it does not mean the articles are not good. One would hope that mature journalists and editors understand that and take on board good suggestions and reject the rest.
It's easy to feel hurt by people's comments about one's writing, but inappropriate.
 Simon 14 Sep 2007
In reply to jessie:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) I thought he did a excellant job.Always a good selection of articles.I have to say your forums are becomming a place where all people do is whinge including yourself you sad people .

Those that do - do and those that don't - whinge.

These forums are becomming very negative - its like everyone has the onset of S.A.D and haven't got a good word to say about anyone or anything.

...its always easier to moan than to say something - or even (shock!) do something pro-active.

The phrase "get a life outside of here" never has been so pertinant to some people on here...

Si
 Norrie Muir 14 Sep 2007
In reply to Simon:
>
> The phrase "get a life outside of here" never has been so pertinant to some people on here...

So, when we are not 'working' we should give up climbing and become a boulderer?
In reply to jessie:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) I thought he did a excellant job.Always a good selection of articles.I have to say your forums are becomming a place where all people do is whinge including yourself you sad people .

Just wondering which of Mick's comments on this thread you interpreted as 'whinging'?

Alan
OP Michael Ryan 14 Sep 2007
In reply to Simon:
> (In reply to jessie)
> [...]

> These forums are becomming very negative - its like everyone has the onset of S.A.D and haven't got a good word to say about anyone or anything.

A gross and inacurate generalisation Simon.
OP Michael Ryan 14 Sep 2007
In reply to Simon:
> (In reply to jessie)
> [...]

> The phrase "get a life outside of here" never has been so pertinant to some people on here...

Now that is arrogant and negative Simon.

You should be used to internet forums now, where all can have their say, both good and bad, critical and praise, wise and follish, informative and whimsy.

Most who post here during the day are at work or work at home, I can bet your last sixpence that tonight and this weekend they will all be outside climbing...weather permitting.

Me I'm off to lovely North Wales, after a David Sylvian concert tonight.

Mick

>
> Most who post here during the day are at work or work at home, I can bet your last sixpence that tonight and this weekend they will all be outside climbing...weather permitting.
>
Lucky them! I will have to make do with the wall this evening. I'm grounded after Chamonix last weekend and the Peak the weekend before
cookiemonster83 14 Sep 2007

I agree. Anyway, any journalist worth anything should be pleased that they're being discussed on these sort of forums at all.

It's better to create a reaction than have no-one care about what you write!
sam the man 14 Sep 2007
In reply to TimS: I know-grit is great, but I love winding people up about it. All I'm saying really is that, to an extent, having a bias to grit because it's popular is somewhat self propogating.
Sam
sam the man 14 Sep 2007
In reply to sutty: Good point, well made... That's because climbing on Grit is ideal to carry my heavy camera to-not much walking, and there's always other people to take photos of!
Sam
 Simon 14 Sep 2007

Freedom of speech is good & yes I agree everyone should have their say - But Bernard being slagged off left right & centre must not be doing his confidence much good after leaving his job after many a year...

Sure there were ups and downs - but its just sad that no one has thanked him for his years of dedication to climbing magazines...

If there were no magazines then the same self people would moan no doubt...

... i'm just saying it seems these days its easy to criticise from the comfort from your desk or arm chair - it just seems harder to say thanks to people for their efforts...

si
In reply to tony:
>
> One of the other things an editor should be doing is editing - taking a piece by an author and making it better, and in the process, developing the skills and ability of the author.

I entirely agree and I'm much more likely to submit articles if I think that's going to happen. It's a matter of trust.
This is a general comment not a criticism of anyone. I shouldn't need to say that but obviously some people think every comment on here is a swipe a Bernard.
 craig d 14 Sep 2007
>
> Spain, USA, Scotland, England and Wales.

That explains why your always late with news, too much time travelling!
 Bulls Crack 14 Sep 2007
In reply to sam the man:
> (In reply to TimS) I know-grit is great, but I love winding people up about it. All I'm saying really is that, to an extent, having a bias to grit because it's popular is somewhat self propogating.
> Sam

Popular mainly because its convenient rather than better.
 nigel baker 15 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Good Luck for the future Bernard... I bet you didn't realise there was so many 'experts' out there!!! Anyway, 9 years is a long time in Politics!! New job.. Yorkshire Gritstone needs a new guide... not a cherry picker... a proper one! Pay.. Free Guide at the end!
 Simon 16 Sep 2007
In reply to nigel baker:
> New job.. Yorkshire Gritstone needs a new guide... not a cherry picker... a proper one! Pay.. Free Guide at the end!

Pay you say???!

... threpence & hapeney & a clip round yer earole perchance in Yorkshire?

;0)
 Paul Clarke 16 Sep 2007
In reply to nigel baker:

Well said.

Paul
NYork 16 Sep 2007
In reply to aln:
> Maybe it'll get better.

Who was it who said " the public get the media they deserve"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...