UKC

NEWS: The Branding Of Everest...drive all the way to basecamp

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 19 Jun 2007
No longer just the world's highest mountain, Everest is a brand and to climb it is to buy shares in the Everest industry, as well as an experience of a lifetime. Summit success no doubt ensures everlasting bragging rights at dinner parties and financial reward on the lecture circuit, although the latter is getting quite competitive..........

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 mickyconnor 19 Jun 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I wonder if the growing suburbanisation of Everest effects how those who have climbed it feel about their experience? I met my first Everest summiteer lately, and what I thought was 'How much did you that cost you?', followed by 'Did you walk past anyone in trouble on your way to the top?' Only later did I think 'Wow, how did that feel?' which seems a pity.
 Will Hunt 20 Jun 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
Disgraceful. It seems that nothing is sacred anymore.
Andrew_P 20 Jun 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: If this is true, it is an absolute outrage. Hopefully enough people will protest against it to stop it happening. What next? a cable car to the summit?
 mickyconnor 20 Jun 2007
In reply to Andrew_P: This is the Chinese government in Tibet. They will do as they please.

In any case I should imagine many people will think taking the Olympic Torch up Everest is a pretty good wheese, even though this will no doubt cause more damage to the mountain than just a road. There will certainly be a lot more people, and there may well be more infrastructure along the lines of a cable car. I'm sure we will soon find out, as this is a status project like the rail link, or the Olympics itself. They won't be shy.
ianinnz 20 Jun 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
Wow, will there be McDonalds as well??
 rrrock! 20 Jun 2007
ahh, how fantastically demotic. about time the mountains were released from the grip of elitism
 mart rich 20 Jun 2007
In reply to Andrew_P:
Why not? Sealed gondolas with piped oxygen - s'pose the wind could be an issue......
 JDDD 20 Jun 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I was amused to see that this has come as a suprise.

I thought everyone knew that "Everest fit the best"!

http://www.everest.co.uk/
 MNA123 20 Jun 2007
In reply to Andrew_P: Yes along with lots of ski runs,a few mountain restaurants and a board park. Hope they manage a decent half pipe as well....
 Phil Sneyd 20 Jun 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:If the States can promote the grand canyon (essentially a hole in the ground), you can hardly blame China! I'm not interested in climbing Everest, but I'd go for a day trip to see the mountain if I was in Tibet on a trip. The road is more justifiable than the train track up Snowdon or the piece of cr*p scaring Cairngorm!
 Doug 20 Jun 2007
In reply to Phil S: At least one agency is quick to explot the opportunity - I've just received this (some weblinks & addresses removed)

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

Namaste! Greeting from the Himalayan Kingdom of Nepal. This is continuation of our update of news and views:

China to build road to foot of Mt. Everest
http://www.kailashhimalaya.com/news.php?newsid=1307
Beijing:China will build a road to the foot of Mt. Everest to make it easier for the Olympic torch relay to reach the summit, state - runmedia reported..........................

Inside:
Please see the updated tours with price in Tibet, we provide special discout to bonafide travel agents, to know the your mark up, please write to us.

1. Lhasa Cultural Tour- 4 days
2. Lhasa Tour- 5 days
3. Lhasa & Yarlung- 6 days
4. Central Tibet Tour - 8 days
5. Everest Overland-Rongbuk & Everest -12 days

Please include some of the tours listed above in your programme. Without these short programmes your package would be incomplete. Nepal and Tibet is known by the mountain therefore it is the best known product.

We assure you high quality and efficient service. Just book your clients with us and feel free.For your travel, tour and adventure requirements in Nepal and the Himalaya remember us. We are just a click away.

Kailash Himalaya Trek
Andrew_P 20 Jun 2007
In reply to mart rich: They could go the whole hog and cover the whole mountain so that it looks like the Eden Project! Can't have people exposed to the nasty wind now can we?!
Removed User 23 Jun 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Having recently returned from trekking to Base Camp, I can confirm that the road is already there and used regularly by Land Cruisers ferrying day trippers. All the Chinese are planning to do is tarmac it. At least trekkers won't get blasted by the sand in the wake of these vehicles in future.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...