UKC

NEWS: Dick Turnbull's Outside....20 years old

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 19 Jun 2007
Dick Turnbull opened the first Outside store in Hathersage in the Peak District in May 1987. Dick can remember his first ever sale, "a Wild Country chalk bag and a block of chalk for £11.20p."

Dick is 56 on Thursday and has been a climber and in the outdoor trade all his life, serving his apprenticeship at Alpine Sports in London before migrating North. Outside now has three climbing stores, Hathersage and Calver in the Peak District, and....................

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Chall bagswere bloody expensive then!
 sutty 19 Jun 2007
In reply to Richard Bradley:

I was thinking that, it is expensive for one now to me, but that is because I do not use one.
 Phil Sneyd 19 Jun 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: If only a few more climbers realized what independent climbing shop owners go through to keep the doors open. Don't give your money to the fat cats! I'd hate to see the supermarket phenomenon happen with outdoor gear stores. Mentioning the huge boat doesn't help the cause though!!!
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
Blimey doesn't time fly? It doesn't seem that long since Outside opened, never mind twenty years!

Twas a cracking and banging party (and so was my head the day after!). Funny enough Dick didn't need a microphone when he made his speech A good time was had by all and I would like to pass on my thanks to Dick and team (especially Pete who I gather organised the whole thing) for a great night.

Here's to the next twenty.

David
 Will Hunt 19 Jun 2007
Well done to Outside. Did me a really nice lunch which cheered me up on my crap climbing day at Stanage.
 ogre 19 Jun 2007
In reply to Phil S: "If only a few more climbers realized what independent climbing shop owners go through to keep the doors open. Don't give your money to the fat cats!"

But people will still ask for that discount.... It still amzes me that peoople thiunk that the retailer owes them a discount because they're in the BrickTrowel Climbing Club.
Ste Brom 19 Jun 2007
In reply to ogre:
i use to work there, some bloke came up and asked for discount, which was refused.

'dont you know who i am?'

er no, dyou know who i am?

'no'

'good, im going for my lunch, tell him what you told me'

he wanted a discount for basically being him. hmmm
 Mike C 19 Jun 2007

Good for him, great to keep an independant business going for so long in this day & age. If he gets any bigger Tesco will want to buy him out.

I'm assuming he's the same chap who gave me a lift back to North Kent from Chamonix in 1980, in an old Mini van. It broke down in, I think, Canterbury, in front of a fire station. We were promptly surrounded by firemen saying we couldn't park there. After explaining the situation they pushed the car into their yard & easily got it going again.

Sadly the journey ended when I got home to find out that a friend had been killed in a particularly bad accident on the Tour Ronde while I'd been out there & I hadn't known about it.

Dick - thanks again for the lift, & well done with the business.
 Simon 19 Jun 2007
In reply to David Simmonite:
> (
>
> Twas a cracking and banging party

Banging is the right word - what an awesome bash - and yes a good time was had by all - danced myself stupid - ace!!

;0)

Thanks to all the team for a great night - we all did good and heres to the 30th Party!!!

;0)

Si
Robert Wilson 19 Jun 2007
In reply to Ste Brom: Not as impressive as the time someone asked you to show them a friend 3 from behind the counter and you promptly replied:

"No, can't you see I'm eating my breakfast!"

Anyway, Happy Birthday Outside. Would have loved to have been there, but my little one had a fever (which turned out to be Chicken Pox) and I couldn't leave my heavily pregnant missus to do the night shift in her state.

And a big thank you to Dick for always treating his staff so well, I certainly enjoyed my time there.

Cheers

Rob
Simon Panton 20 Jun 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Congratulations Dick for making it to 20 years - Outside has always been a great British climbing institution, long may it continue.

Sorry, but I also couldn't make it over for the party - sounds like I missed a good do.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...