UKC

NEWS: Svolvaer Goat, Norway - Now De-horned

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 06 Jun 2007
Above the town of Svolvaer is one of Norway's most enigmatic and sought after summits - the Svolvaer Goat, originally named because of the two huge boulders that made up the 'horns,' the higher of the two being the actual highest point. The first ascent of the Goat in 1910.....

.......The spectacular and scary jump between the horns was first done by Arne Randers Heen in about 1930

Read and see more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Glad I have already done it...

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 06 Jun 2007

Not sure if it is deceased - more dehorned, I will try to find out more.

Chris
 Whitt 06 Jun 2007

Bloody typical, Im off out there on friday!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 06 Jun 2007
In reply to Whitt:

Too hot to climb at the moment - that is the rumour on the street!
Do the Goat and give us some proper feedback!

Chris
Removed User 06 Jun 2007

What a shame.

I thought the jump alone justifies travelling all that way. I guess if you now land 2m lower it'll be a real trouser filler.
 Paz 06 Jun 2007

I demand to know the increase in Czech J grade!
Sad news indeed. Did the 1910 ruta in Aug 06 and hats off to the first ascentionists, awesome route which seemed worth travelling all the way for. Feel privelidged to have climbed it in its last summer!

NMM
 TobyA 07 Jun 2007
In reply to Removed User: In comparison to other routes in the area I don't think any of three routes I've done on the Goat are that brilliant, but the top out makes them all worthwhile. I've never managed more than a skip, rather than a jump, being a coward - so at least if I go up again I feel under no pressure at all to jump!
 JuliaH 07 Jun 2007

B*gger, we were there exactly a year ago and we walked up to climb it on our last full day out there and were about 300yds away when the heavens promptly opened again for the zillionth time in 2 weeks, so we made a run it back to the car...
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 07 Jun 2007
In reply to JuliaH:

Rain?

Don't look at the webcams for today then, it has been glorious up there for over a week!

http://www.lofotposten.no/webkamera/

Chris
 Whitt 07 Jun 2007
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Too hot to climb??? you serious? I've been packing my super warm clothes thinking it's going to be raining all 2 weeks and freezing cold...

We will definetly do the goat by one way or another, shame couldnt do the jump anymore..Has it be done since it was de-horned? If so do we get the first new ascent?! j/k

Whitt
Tubby 07 Jun 2007
In reply to JuliaH: Climbed it back in the early 90s with a friend from Tromso University. I seem to remember continuous drizzle and considering climbing in socks up the first pitch. The line was quite obvious as the cleanest line on lichen covered rock! I belayed just below the horns and Ragnar took the top pitch jumping from horn to horn, then we swapped places. Was terrifying then as you have Solvaer laid out miles below you so it must be extra scary now. Following day we had overcast but dry weather on pierless granite slabs.
 JuliaH 07 Jun 2007
In reply to Chris Craggs:

I blame you Chris- if you hadn't sold us that Magic Isles book on here then we never would have got excited and got our arses into gear to go there and would have found somewhere dry.... instead of heading to the wettest place in Europe (if not the entire world), and not missed the British heat wave that was going on back home!

We would have just drunk ourselves into oblivion for 2 weeks but it was too feckin' expensive!
 TobyA 07 Jun 2007
In reply to JuliaH: I've been there for three week-long trips in different years and its always been sunny. I reckon you were unlucky!
 JuliaH 07 Jun 2007
In reply to TobyA:

Yes, you're probably right, but we're still very bitter about it. Especially when it teased us for a few hours with what we were missing when the cloud went away!

Vestpillaren still has my name on it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...