NEW REVIEW: North Wales Rock......again by Tyler

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 25 May 2007
Chris Craggs earlier this year reviewed the Ground Up publication, North Wales Rock.

Now whilst Chris is an expert in all things guidebooks he does work for Rockfax, and even though he loves North Wales Rock, in the interest of fairness we asked Tyler, who doesn't work for any guidebook company, to review it as well.

Read Tyler's review here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=449
 long 25 May 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Which route is that on the front cover? Is it Superdirect?

Thanks for the review.
 TobyA 25 May 2007

Tyler:

"There is more quality climbing in this guide than any other UK guide"

That's fighting talk. I would offer Northern Highland Volume II (haven't seen the new ones - nut the old will suffice to make my point) as a counterpoint.
 jethro kiernan 25 May 2007
In reply to douglas: Superdirect is the route on the cover
 long 25 May 2007
In reply to jethro kiernan: Thank you.
 RupertD 25 May 2007
In reply to:

Nice review Ash, well written.
 tobyfk 25 May 2007

Ingeniously off-topic first paragraph ... quality writing.
OP Michael Ryan 25 May 2007
In reply to tobyfk:

I concur with Tyler about the size of this guide. Both North Wales and the latest Stanage are brilliant guides, but both have the same flaw.

They are too small to do the considerable amount of work in them justice, especially the photos.

The impact of both these guides would be doubled if they were A5.

Especially relevent to the Stanage, as it is an outcrop guidebook. Small size doesn't matter here. Bigger is better.

A5 fits easily into the top of a sac and any downfalls are negated by the joy of having all those photos bigger when you are perusing at home....and for easier identification when at the crag.

As regards the North Wales, in addition.....the topos, and topos only should be made available as downloads at the Ground Up site. Print out and laminate or put in a plastic sleeve for crag use.

Mick
 RupertD 25 May 2007

> As regards the North Wales, in addition.....the topos, and topos only should be made available as downloads at the Ground Up site. Print out and laminate or put in a plastic sleeve for crag use.

Interesting idea. Is this something that Rockfax are going to do?
OP Michael Ryan 25 May 2007
In reply to RupertD:

I think it would work best for long multi-pitch routes where you don't want to lug the guidebook up with you.

Full beta in the book, and just the topo as a download to save the bother photocopying.

As a service.

It's an old idea.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...