GEAR: New Products this week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 07 May 2007
Below is a summary of the Latest Product News added to UKClimbing's Gear section in the last week:

[The Mythos, 1 kb]La Sportiva Mythos 01-May-07
A slight restyling of the popular Sportiva Mythos. Sportiva's popular and all-round climbing shoe offering the perfect compromise between sensitivity and friction.
* read more...

The UKC Gear pages also have independent reviews from registered users - send us your review.
In reply to UKC Gear:

"the world's most popular climbing shoe"
Really? More popular than the anasazi!
 TobyA 07 May 2007
In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.: Considering they have been available around the world for the best part of two decades (I got a pair about 14 years ago and they weren't new then), I would imagine so.
levene 07 May 2007
plus that shoe looks like crap!

are they the shoes that dave mcleod wears in E11?
Pinky 07 May 2007
In reply to levene:
There is more to life than climbing single pitch E11s (or aspireing to climb them).

The shoe is really good as it laces right down to the toe and so fits quite a lot of different shaped feet. I know as the shape of my feet can easily be described as different ;-S

They are extreamly comfortable, defiantely worth a look for long multipitch routes.

As an aside why does the report read as though they come in a NEW colour. They have come in the brown colour for ages, they used to also come in a minty green, I think they were meant to be a women's fit, though I am not sure.
In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.: Whenever i've climbed in Europe I've seen more climbers wearing sportiva climbing shoes than any other brand!
 Norrie Muir 07 May 2007
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:
> (In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.) Whenever i've climbed in Europe I've seen more climbers wearing sportiva climbing shoes than any other brand!

Aye, but has the boulderer been out of Nidderdale to know any difference.
 2pints 07 May 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir:

Have you ever been to Nidderdale Norrie?

Once you visit you'll never want to leave!
 Michael Ryan 07 May 2007
In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.:

Useful to think beyond your own experience or observations.
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

You'll be asking me to "think outside of the box" next!

In reply to Norrie Muir:

Yes, last week, sport climbing on Limestone.
 CENSORED 07 May 2007
In reply to 2pints:

> Once you visit you'll never want to leave!

I believe the correct quote is "You'll Never Leave"
 Michael Ryan 07 May 2007
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> You'll be asking me to "think outside of the box" next!

Thanks for giving me the "heads up" but I feel you maybe "blamestorming" me.

Well you are "pushing the envelope" and you do, "talk the talk as well as walk the walk" but always avoid 'groupspeak"

Good to "touch base" with you Nidder-mate.

And don't forget to "sleep with your eyes open" after you've finished making intimate with your "Square-Headed Spouse"

But enough about you, back to the Mythos.
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

You are obviously the corporate whoar of UK Climbing.
gourd 08 May 2007
In reply to UKC Gear:

Does anyone where you can get these in the UK? Scotland? Glasgow even?

Used to have a pair and thought they were absolutely brilliant. Was out with my new boots (Voodoo Chillis I think) and they were just crap by comparison.

I want my Mythos back!!!!!!!

PS they got thrown out cos they were old. Stupid decision.
Pinky 08 May 2007
In reply to gourd: Decathalon do them. You will have to check your local independant shops though.
 CJD 08 May 2007
In reply to gourd:

ooo, mythos were my first 'proper' rock shoes and they're loooovely! my rather mingy pair have a big hole in the toe so I'm sending them for resoling this week.

the pics on the changing room wall at Huddersfield show people climbing incredibly hard stuff wearing them, and pottering types like me find them comfortable for long easy routes, so I reckon they must be a pretty good all round shoe. My freaky feet seem to like them anyway.

gourd 08 May 2007
In reply to Pinky:
> (In reply to gourd) Decathalon do them. You will have to check your local independant shops though.

Don't think I can get them local, but I'll maybe have wee look. Are Decathalon an online supplier?
Pinky 08 May 2007
In reply to gourd: Unfortunately not. You can buy a few things through there web site but the last time I looked the climbing shoes wern't there.
 WestslopeColo 09 May 2007
In reply to UKC Gear: There is something to be said for a show that has been basically unchanged for 16+ years! Most shoes last 2-3 years before "the next greatest thing!" replaces it!
 gilldando 09 May 2007
In reply to UKC Gear:
I thought I should just post this, when I was in america trying on loads of shoes a very knowledgable sales guy told me that if I was to go for these shoes in particular to get a whole size rtoo small as they are the worst shoe for stretching.
I didn't get them in the end so can't confirm or deny this but just thought it was interesting to post for you?

Howard J 10 May 2007
In reply to UKC Gear:

They're the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn, and perfectly adequate for the modest grades I climb at. Unfortunately my pair are now worn out and I couldn't find anywhere that stocks them.

If they're the world's most popular climbing shoe, how come theyr'e so hard to find?
 Michael Ryan 10 May 2007
In reply to Howard J:

Lyon Equipment are the UK supplier of Sportiva.

They have a stockist page at their website: http://www.lyon.co.uk/outdoors/showitem.asp?id=359

Mick
Chris Tan Ver. XLIX SP2 10 May 2007

>
> "the world's most popular climbing shoe"
> Really? More popular than the anasazi!

I'm not surprised. I've been in a large supermarket near Trento and it had whole aisle full of them, from kiddies to flipper sizes!
 Tez29 13 May 2007
In reply to UKC Gear:

I've had twp pairs of the brown Mythos. They're really comfortable and really sticky on smeary slabs on granite, grit etc. One draw back is that they arn't so good on small edges as the inside toes is quite rounded and soft, so probably not ideal for hard limestone routes.

In general I'd conclude that they're good for beginners to intermediate climbers and great for hard 'friction' routes. But don't expect them to grip small ledges.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...