UKC

NEWS: Es Tresidder, Skye Ridge in 3.17.28: a new record

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 05 May 2007
On Friday, 4th May, Es Tresidder, 27 of Kinghorn, Fife broke the record for the traverse of the Skye Ridge with a time of 3 hrs 17 minutes and 28 seconds.

Full report with photo at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Very impressive!

So for those of us who've never been, how does the Skye Ridge break down? How much running, how much scrambling and how much soloing is required? What grade is the hardest climbing? Is ANY of it flat, or is it all steep up + down?
 tony 05 May 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Nice one Es, well done!

Updated table here - http://www.rockfax.com/images/i.php?id=784

Curious times at Bidein. Judging by the fact that Andy and Es were level at this point, and at the next check point Es is 15 minutes ahead, I suspect they may have taken their measurements at different points.

Alan
In reply to Alan James - UKC: It does say he sprinted!
 EsT 05 May 2007
In reply to Alan James - UKC: Hi Alan

Curious indeed! I'm sure we didn't take them at different places though. The summits of both of these peaks are pretty obvious (block with cairn on it and a trig point), and these are where my times were taken. Initially (while running), I thought there must have been a mistake - it would be easy for a watch to get knocked and stopped on a climbing section - but I checked with Wendy (who met me at Bruach na Frithe), and the time I got there fitted with what my stopwatch said and the time I started running (started running at 6.21am and Wendy said I got to her about quarter past nine). My final time on the Sgurr nan Gillean (9.38am) also tallies with what my stopwatch was saying.

Interesting to look at Morans times, he was also substantially faster than Andy on that section, by about five minutes.

Cheers, Es.
 EsT 05 May 2007
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: Four "real" climbing sections, up to about Severe in standard (up and down climbing). Lots of very exposed scrambling, and hardly anything that you would normally call running! Not much flat. So lots of fast moving, but not much flowing running.

Great day out!

Cheers, Es.
In reply to EsT: Cool, thanks. So how do you train for something like that? Lots of fell running, or doing classic scrambles as fast as possible?

Cheers
 EsT 05 May 2007
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: Lots of fell running, lots of climbing, reccying the ridge. Didn't do any other scrambling other than what was on the ridge.

Cheers, Es.
 alicia 05 May 2007
In reply to EsT:

Nice one! It sounds great.

Nick: fancy a trip to Skye then?? This sounds like something we have to do, even if at a, errr, *slightly* slower speed...
In reply to EsT:

Well done! Looks like you had a bloody good day out for it too.

In reply to alicia: Yes, definitely be up for it! Only if we are sure we can do it in a day though - don't fancy bivving up there. One of us will have to learn to navigate first though ;P
 Jimmy D 05 May 2007

Have to say I find these kinds of times for the ridge just mind-boggling. How anyone can cover that amount of that type of terrain that quickly really is beyond me. I'd love to see someone doing with my own eyes, just so I could get some idea of what's involved. Amazing, and well done!
 Dringo 05 May 2007
In reply to EsT: I just lifted this quote from Es's Homepage the about me section.

"I am a climber and alpinist based in Edinburgh, Scotland. I also do a bit of mountain/fell running on the side."

Good effort Es, you can't beat a bit of understatement! Fortunately i know that your also an even bigger demon with axes.

baggins 05 May 2007
In reply to EsT:
Well done Es, Inspiring stuff.

Bill
 sgl 05 May 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Nice work Es, Congrats.
 James Thacker 05 May 2007

Well done Es! What's next Tranters Round or Ramsey Round in winter? Believe that neither have been done in full winter conditions in under 24 hours!...
wcdave 05 May 2007
In reply to James Thacker: Amazing feat, well done Es.

How about this for yer next challenge...

'The first to complete a super-extended Greater Traverse (and in under 24 hours!) was Rob Woodall. The route taken included Glamaig, the Deargs, Marsco (2 tops), Belig, Garbh Bheinn, Sgurr nan Each (2 tops), Clach Glas (2 tops), Bla-bheinn (2 tops), Sgurr Hain, Sgurr na Stri, and all the Munros and Tops of the main Cuillin Ridge, plus many others including Sgurr Beag and Sgurr na h-Uamha: 59 tops in all (33 miles/23,150 foa). All tops 50 feet reascent.

The round was completed on 31st May 1999 in a time of 23 hours 28 minutes (1 am start, paced/supported). The round is probably best tackled clockwise from the Coruisk Hut, but logistical problems meant that this trip started in Glen Sligachan. [Refs: Scotsman 19/6/99, FR 6/99, FR 10/99]

The following year Yiannis Tridimas (who had been one of the efficient entourage who supported Rob in 1999) repeated the feat, and added an extra peak (Sgurr a'Bhasteir) in an impressive time of 21 hours 22 mins. The succesful run (again paced/supported) took place on 14th/15th June 2000 with a midday start from the Coruisk Hut. Presumably Yiannis was also imbibing liberal quantities of Mummery's Blood...'
In reply to EsT:

Congratulations Es.

I am delighted that someone has finally got it together to break the record and at the same time a bit disappointed that’s its taken so long for it to happen. Lets hope your amazing time will inspire others to make an attempt.

All the best,

Andy
parnell 05 May 2007
In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKClimbing.com:
Way to go Es, have you thought about mixing your speed with your alpinism. You've recceed the Eiger already perhaps yopu could Ueli a run for his money. By the way I know its a long way off but next season we really ought to knuckle down and do some of those link ups we keep talking about. Congrats Ian
 EsT 06 May 2007

Hi Andy.

Thanks for the congrats! And thanks for being part of the inspiration behind me doing it. Has to be one of the best days out I've ever had I think! How did the orienteering champs go?

Ian: Forget it! I reckon the Eiger would go in a day now, but Ueli is 1. A much better climber than me and 2. Has probably been on the route LOADS! Link ups next season, definately keen, might be in the alps for most of it, but keen to fit it in anyway.

James Thacker and WC Dave: Yeah, all these things are things I'd like to do. For this summer though I'm sticking to shorter stuff (under six hours). Good effort on doing the Eiger James!

Work seems extra boring in comparison to Friday!

Cheers, Es.
In reply to EsT:

Hi Es,

Regarding the times at Bidean: I had a similar experience with Martin Moran’s splits. I was 8 mins up on him at Sgurr a'Mhadaidh but seemed to loose all the advantage by the time I got to Bruach na Frithe.

On the actual days of my last two attempts I had a card with Martin’s times and memorised my splits so it’s possible that I got Bidean wrong, which would explain the discrepancy. If you were 8 mins up at Banachdich that fits with the overall time. Also, I remember that I absolutely gunned it to the Inn Pinn so to be 4 mins up there means you were just running faster than me from the off.

I watched the video, which brought back happy memories of my time on the ridge.

Andy
 Marc C 06 May 2007
In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKClimbing.com: And, remember Andy, Es is only 'borrowing' the record from you! If you need a pacemaker...
 drunken monkey 06 May 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Awesome. Its a pity the weather wasnt as nice on Saturday when i was there.
In reply to Marc C:
> (In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKClimbing.com) And, remember Andy, Es is only 'borrowing' the record from you! If you need a pacemaker...

Well, I’ve not got to that stage yet but all that Skye Ridge stuff is in past for me. I put a huge amount of effort in on all three of my attempts and there are other things I want to do even if I were 10 years younger.

In many ways it’s a relief that someone, (Es) has actually done it at last, and in the style that rings true to the ethos of moving fast and light in the mountains.

Marc C 06 May 2007
In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKClimbing.com: OK, if *I* (a leading exponent of moving fast and light on the rocks, or, as some call it, 'nude climbing') need a pacemaker, I'll let you know

Raph B 06 May 2007
In reply to EsT:

Well done Esmondo! Impressive.
 EsT 07 May 2007
> (In reply to EsT)

>
> On the actual days of my last two attempts I had a card with Martin’s times and memorised my splits so it’s possible that I got Bidean wrong, which would explain the discrepancy. If you were 8 mins up at Banachdich that fits with the overall time.

Hi Andy. That's interesting, and would clear up my confusion. Strange though, surely the owner of a running shop would have owned a stopwatch capable of doing split times in 1994? Even so short after my run, my memory of the whole thing is pretty hazy, so having to memorise my split times as I ran would be completely beyond me! It also seems to fit my earlier times better. I remember thinking on Banachdich "If I keep this up I'm going to take quarter of an hour off".

Looks like you are still enjoying your running, well done in the orienteering champs.

Cheers, Es.
gourd 07 May 2007
In reply to EsT:

Given how good you guys are at this, how about an attempt on the Glamaig (hill above Sligachan?) record? Has that not stood for a long time now?

Not that I'll be competing, of course.......
In reply to EsT:

I had a Polar Heart rate monitor, which I think did do splits. My strategy was to run in a specific heart rate range at different sections of the run and I think that I was so concerned with not messing with the watch once the stop watch started that I was happy to remember the splits to the nearest minute which was easy to do because I had Martin’s times totally fixed in my head and on a card pinned to my arm. Martin didn’t have a time for Bidean, which is why I am guessing that I may have gotten that split wrong, but having said that I was pretty sure it was right until I saw your times. In retrospect I should have taken the splits more seriously but it seems that each new record adds a bit more detail to the run from the point at where it was never certain where Eric Beard had gone to now when we have a clearly defined route and style which I consider to be crucial for those following in our footsteps.
 EsT 07 May 2007

Cool.

Yeah, I think the defined route is important, but I don't think you need to go beyond saying which peaks folk must visit. To make the climbing routes compulsory is silly, since they are by far the fastest way anyway. If someone who was a much better runner than you and I came along, and could still beat us with bypassing the climbing sections, good luck to them!

I also reckon it would be quicker going up and down the short side of the Inn pin (this is what I did the first time around, but not the 3.17 time), and don't see any reason why people shouldn't do this in future.

That's my two pennies anyway. Must do some work though!

Cheers, Es.
 Marc C 07 May 2007
In reply to EsT: <Up and down the short side of the In Pinn>

Hmm, that wouldn't seem IMO to be true to the spirit or integrity of the traverse. Interesting to hear what others think.
 EsT 07 May 2007
In reply to Marc C:
> (In reply to EsT) <Up and down the short side of the In Pinn>
>
> Hmm, that wouldn't seem IMO to be true to the spirit or integrity of the traverse. Interesting to hear what others think.

True, but there are lots of other places on the ridge where the "runners line" doesn't follow anything like the true crest: you bypass An Stac, you miss Sgurr Dubh na da beinn, you miss casteal a garbh coire, you traverse round Sgurr a Choire Bhig, you miss the three teeth of thormaid, you add Sgurr Dubh Mor, you add Sgurr Alasdair (neither of which are on the "true" line of the ridge, but are added cos they're munros).

A "True crest" record would be an interesting day out as well, I imagine!

Cheers, Es.
 Marc C 07 May 2007
In reply to EsT:
> True, but there are lots of other places on the ridge where the "runners line" doesn't follow anything like the true crest: you bypass An Stac, you miss Sgurr Dubh na da beinn, you miss casteal a garbh coire, you traverse round Sgurr a Choire Bhig, you miss the three teeth of thormaid >

Hah! So THAT's why my time was a mere 10 hours outside yours!

EsT 07 May 2007
In reply to Marc C: Quite right, cheated every which way
In reply to EsT:
> (In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKClimbing.com)
>

> Yeah, I think the defined route is important, but I don't think you need to go beyond saying which peaks folk must visit. To make the climbing routes compulsory is silly, since they are by far the fastest way anyway. If someone who was a much better runner than you and I came along, and could still beat us with bypassing the climbing sections, good luck to them!
>

Hi Es

My idea was always to define the record so it did involve some compulsory climbing sections and I think that would be in the spirit of what Eric Beard was about too. It would be possible to avoid the TD Gap by going around by the Bad Step so I think its best to leave it that the climbing sections are compulsory, also that they are soloed otherwise we’ll eventually get to the stage where there are ropes all over the place and the whole thing will deteriorate into a pure running challenge and a have greater impact on other people trying to enjoy the ridge.

Andy

EsT 07 May 2007
In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKClimbing.com: Yeah but that would be much slower wouldn't it? Therefore no need to have a requirement. Same for Kings Chimney, same for Naismiths, Climbing unavoidable on the pin.
 sutty 07 May 2007
In reply to EsT:

Well done on your jog along the ridge, even if you did sidestep some summits.

When you do ridge traverses in the alps you certainly do not go over every little projection you come to, same with things like Crib Goch or many other ridges similar, just the main summits.

Not sure if Beardie did the TD climb or went round, he said it would depend on conditions on the day when he was planning it.

Something people might consider using now is some sort of Ipod to give them times, or put your own times in as you go. Light enough and an aide memoire for later as well.
In reply to EsT:

I think the TD Gap would be the exception in that it could well be faster going by the Bad Step. The other climbing sections are logical and probably don’t have a faster running alternative.
 Rob Jarvis 07 May 2007
Great Effort Youth – Brilliant – Well Done!

When I first did the ridge I deliberately did not time it as I was keen not to rush – needless to say I took rather longer than you!

Good to see genuinely impressive mountain achievements getting done with such a small carbon footprint. A refreshing contrast to the frequent lame mountain media stunts done in the name of charity or publicity!

Aye, Rob.
 The bandit 08 May 2007
In reply to EsT:
Well done Es. Top stuff.

Cheers
Greg
 Oliver Sherman 08 May 2007
Nice work Es!
Yiannis Tridimas 08 May 2007
In reply to wcdave: Thanks for the mention. Of all the sub-24 hour challenges I have done, Rob Woodall's "Cuillin Round" is the best and, if you do not mind a bit of rock work, probably the easiest to achieve.
I must add my congratulations for this new ridge record. A great athletic feat!
Yiannis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...