Longstone Edge saved !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Team BMC 27 Apr 2007
Hot news just in - the Inspector's desicion on the fate of Longstone Edge has just been leaked.

The full report has yet to be released, but the BMC has learned operations at Backdale Quarry must cease, and Longstone Edge has been saved.

So, congratulations to all concerned; The Peak District National Park Authority, the Save Longstone Edge Group, Friends of the Peak District, the Campaign to Protect Rural England, and last (but by no means least) the BMC's Henry Folkard for his dedication to the cause.

Guy Keating
BMC A&C Officer.
 Alun 27 Apr 2007
In reply to Team BMC:

Brilliant news, well done to the BMC and to everyone concerned.
 crimp2climb 27 Apr 2007
In reply to Team BMC: Fantastic News!
 Simon Caldwell 27 Apr 2007
In reply to Team BMC:
Any chance of their appealing, or is this really it?
martin k 27 Apr 2007
In reply to Team BMC: well done to everyone who took an active part in the campaign. it just goes to show that you really *can* make a difference if you get involved.

bloomin' marvellous!
 Wingnut 27 Apr 2007
In reply to Team BMC:
Woo, yay and once again woo! and yay!

Here's hoping this *is* actually the end of it.
 Bill 27 Apr 2007
In reply to Team BMC: Excellent news!
 Caralynh 27 Apr 2007
In reply to Team BMC:

Nice one
Well done everyone concerned
 seagull 27 Apr 2007
In reply to Team BMC:

Great news. Hopefully common sense will prevail and there will be no overturning this excellent decision. Well done to everyone involved.
 Simon 27 Apr 2007
In reply to Guy:

Well done to all that have helped! - it seems to be going on for aons & finally the right thing has been done...

Will Gary be there with his bolt gun for 1000's of new chossy routes next week now then? ;0)

Si
toadwork 27 Apr 2007
In reply to Team BMC: this is fantastic

Have they exhausted all possible routess now, or is there a possibility of further action by the company?

OP Team BMC 27 Apr 2007
This just in from the PDNPA Press Office;

* Quarry public inquiry rules in favour of National Park Authority

* Authority hails major success in efforts to stop unauthorised quarrying

* Ruling boosts Authority's planned action against Wagers Flat

Efforts by the Peak District National Park Authority to stop unauthorised quarrying of limestone at Longstone Edge have received a massive boost today, with the news that a planning inspector has decided in favour of the Authority's enforcement action.

Peak District National Park Authority chair Tony Hams said: "This decision is a major success. It has implications not just for Backdale, but for other areas on Longstone Edge covered by the same 1952 planning permission - Wagers Flat, Beacon Rod and Peak Pasture."

Over recent months the Authority has been preparing enforcement action against what it believes is unauthorised limestone quarrying at Wagers Flat. Today's decision gives support for that action.

Tony Hams added: "Although this is wonderful news I would stress that it is just one more step forward - allbeit a huge one - in our continuing efforts to protect Longstone Edge from unauthorised limestone extraction. This ruling makes it clear that working for fluorspar cannot be used to remove huge quantities of limestone.”

The quarry owner and operator have four weeks to appeal against the ruling to the High Court.

Guy Keating
deeje 27 Apr 2007
In reply to Team BMC: YUS!!

getting funny looks because of the little jig

in my defense its the most exciting thing thats happened all day
 jgoodwin2020 27 Apr 2007
In reply to Team BMC:

fookin awesome! made my day . lets hope the decision isnt overturned...
 Dave Garnett 27 Apr 2007
In reply to Team BMC:

> The quarry owner and operator have four weeks to appeal against the ruling to the High Court.
>

Hate to be a wet blanket, but given what we know about said owner, I wouldn't be counting any chickens. Does anyone know what the interim legal situation is? Is there likely to be an injunction suspending quarrying pending the result of an appeal, or can he just carry on?

Mark Lloyd 27 Apr 2007
In reply to Team BMC: Don't we need to stop all quarrying activity on Longstone Edge before we get too excited.
They are currently creating a new quarry further along Longstone edge at Wagers flats, this decision hopefully can be used to stop that as well.
 toad 27 Apr 2007
In reply to Mark Lloyd - wagers Flats is included -see above
martin k 27 Apr 2007
In reply to Dave Garnett: aha! the staffordshire voice of reason. i asked guy about this and he didn't think an appeak would be successful, but i don't know the answer. whatever the case, it's more positive news to go into the weekend with!
 Mark Lloyd 27 Apr 2007
In reply to toad: Ruling boosts Authority's planned action against Wagers Flat.
so quarrying continues until they take action, no doubt they will ramp up things before they get an injunction or such.
 Al Evans 27 Apr 2007
In reply to Team BMC: Great news,a win for once! regards to Henry and the rest.
Al
 Adam Long 27 Apr 2007
In reply to Team BMC:

Result! Fingers crossed it all gets implemented, and sets a precedent for Wager's flat.
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Absolutely thrilled by this (being one of the/the? only independent climber/s who went to any day of the inquiry). Can't see how the owner can win any appeal now. Doesn't the enforcement order apply immediately? Even if it doesn't, this is clearly a huge step forward, kicking all such extremely dubious appeals into touch. The worst/slowest scenario is that it will end up in the House of Lords, and with the forthcoming general election - Cameron's 'green' credentials, etc - I don't see that the appelant has a hope in hell.
freed 27 Apr 2007
In reply to Team BMC: Fantastic news. Just brilliant Thanks to everyone who put so much effort into the fight.
 Chris the Tall 29 Apr 2007
In reply to Team BMC:
Great news, but I share Dave Garnetts pessimism that this might not be the end of the story

The owners have shown in the past a reluctance to obey court orders, tax demands, HSE rules etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...